Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,368 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!

I'll be heading to Boston in mid July and I was wondering if there were any nice veggie or healthy restaurants/markets in the area. I have been checking out websites, but I also like to hear personal experiences.

Anywhere in Boston is find. And I'm also wondering about the South Station area, where I'll be. Any price range will do; but of course I'm on a budget lol .

Thanks so much for any advice! I really appreciate it!!!!

Boston_bound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times
"Grasshopper" in Allston's Union Square has a big following. I've GOT to try it! They're said to have an extensive menu that's all-vegetarian.

Somebody who works downtown will have to let us know whether Country Life on Broad St is still open, with its meatless lunch buffet.

Restaurants featuring cuisines from all over Asia abound in this town. A "closely held secret treasure" of mine is Ruth's Kitchen in Brookline, located in the "JFK Crossing" shopping district along Harvard St between the Allston line and Coolidge Corner. They do a booming catering and take-out business, and also have a few tables on the premises for dine-in dinin'. "Glatt kosher" to begin with, they're attentive and receptive to the dietary needs/restrictions of anyone who happens by. The name and neighborhood might fool you; this place has nothing to do with Reubens or brisket. Ruth's is all about heaping portions of delicious "Chinese-American" food. Before planning to go, remember that the owners observe "shabbos" and therefore close up shop by 2 PM on Fridays and stay closed through the weekend.

When an old Sears store in Cambridge's Porter Square closed and was subdivided into a "mini-mall," lessees were few and far between. That is, until a sushi bar got off the ground and was soon drawing crowds. Word went out to the local Japanese community, and "before you knew it" the entire place had evolved into a culinary destination. Everything from a noodle joint to a culturally correct "casual coffee shop" to a full-service restaurant and a Japanese grocery store call it home now. As with all Asian eating places (whether Pakistani or Thai or Korean or Malaysian...) there are plenty of vegetarian entrees to be found at any of the Porter Exchange's food court locations.

The Harvest Co-op grocery stores in Cambridge and Jamaica Plain are the logical stop for veggie/"health" foods. Like to buy in bulk? They've got ya covered. Feh on Whole Foods!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 96,996 times
goyguy -- once again quite comprehensive! Allston's Union Square boasts not only the Vegan Grasshopper, but the new TJ Scallywaggle's, also vegan. Grasshopper has Asian foods, Scallywaggle's is pizza and subs. I live in Allston, but as I am a lame-o who loves meat, I haven't tried either of them.

However, I would have to agree with goy that most Asian restaurants have good vegetarian selections. Many of the menus feature a vegetarian entree section.

For shopping you should really consider the Haymarket farmer's market. It's open from dawn to dusk Fridays and Saturdays on Blackstone Street, near Government Center, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, and the North End. Crazy hustle and bustle, salty old vendors, and dirt-cheap produce make it a one-of-a-kind experience.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,448 times
Boston Vegetarian Society: Vegetarian Restaurants in Massachusetts

anything your little heart could desire :-) don't shy away from non-vege though. look at menus online to see what vege options they have. a lot of people cater to different eating restrictions. we haven't had a problem anywhere we've been :-) cheers!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 AM

287 posts, read 1,027,927 times
The aforementioned Grasshopper is probably the most famous. It's really cheap, huge portions, but can a bit hit or miss. I'd say about 75%-80% good, 20%-25% meh, so taking recommendations there is a good policy. Buddha's Delight is pretty good, but I have pretty vague memories of it.

As for places that have veggie food, but aren't totally vegetarian I really like Helmand by the Cambridgeside Galleria. It's really wonderful Afghan food and they have a dedicated vegetarian menu. It's something a little different from generic east Asian restaurant 921,840, a pattern I find really easy to get stuck in as a vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston