Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

I support myself 100% financially, I'm a 19 year old bartender/cocktail waitress in Miami who is also in school part-time at a local community college which is $70 per credit.

Can someone like me find a decent job and still go to school in Boston?
What do you think my chances of survival will be?
If you have any tips or advice or if you have been in my shoes before, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for your time.
extra info:
I was born and raised in the Brookline/Brighton area and moved to Florida two years ago. I'm thinking about moving back to Boston (I love it up there) now.
I hate living in Miami and am a total Boston girl at heart.
I am apprehensive because I hear housing costs are high and there is a shortage of service industry jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Shortage of service-industry work? Riiiiiight. Look good and know how to mix drinks and you won't be able to keep up with the job offers. Hotels and trendy bars continue to open at a rapid clip around here. Not only that, since the food and beverage sales professions have one of the highest turnover rates of all job categories there are always "help wanted" signs and ads.

An upstairs neighbor, 23, takes courses at Bunker Hill CC when he puts his mind to it. Lately he's in one of his "all about the money" phases, waits and buses tables at a tavern near Fenway Park, and unfailingly clears more in tips than I earn at my desk job. So I know your job/life scheme is do-able here.

You may want to compromise, however, in order to make your dollars go farther. Quincy College is now a four-year school, but it still offers a lot of its certificate and Associates Degree programs. Restaurants and night spots at "Marina Bay" are of course hopping during the summer; now most of them stay open year-round. All along Hancock St, and around Quincy Center, there are more eating/drinking options than Irish pubs and fast food places now. Renting an apartment or going in on a housemate situation in unhip Quincy or southeast Dorchester would be considerably less expensive than trying to make a go of it in the "hot" Boston and Cambridge neighborhoods. Then when you're ready to let loose in the city, just hop on the Red Line.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM

274 posts, read 606,078 times
I know plenty of students who are self-supporting. However, it is definitely not easy on them.

Rent is expensive, but also depends on area. Average rent for a one bed in my area is $1500-$1700. However, it also depends where you live, how many roommates you have, etc. Some of my friends who have multiple roommates only pay $400/person/month up on Mission Hill. However, Boston enacted it's "no more than four" law. This means that only 4 undergrad students can sign an off-campus lease and live together.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Wow, thanks for the help. I'm thinking about making enough in Miami to buy a decent car and then moving back to Boston. If anyone has anymore to add, please do so!

When is the best/worst time of year to move?
Anyone in the hospitality biz have any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
If you move to Boston, you don't need a car. Check into visit zipcar.com, it would be a smarter option for you. Having a car is very expensive in Boston.

I've got a part time job in the hospitality biz and there's plenty of good work for bartenders. I'm a banquet waitress but I have bartender friends. I don't drink, so I don't relate to my beverage customers very well. lol

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If you move to Boston, you don't need a car. Check into visit zipcar.com, it would be a smarter option for you. Having a car is very expensive in Boston.

I've got a part time job in the hospitality biz and there's plenty of good work for bartenders. I'm a banquet waitress but I have bartender friends. I don't drink, so I don't relate to my beverage customers very well. lol
Where is the money in Boston? Hotels? clubs? tourist areas? Newbury street? Where is the best place to take home a lot of cash?

In FL, I bartended at a hotel in the middle of nowhere and in South Beach. Surprisingly, I made twice as much money at the hotel. Looks can be decieving.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
possibly dumb question: don't you have to be over 21 to serve alcohol? I used to work in a supermarket and the cashiers under 21 couldn't even ring up a liquor sale. not sure what the laws are pertaining to this, but I'd check first. if you want to make good tips, I'd suggest not working at a bar frequented by undergrads since they tend to be poor tippers, unless you're smoking hot and some drunk frat boys tip you a bit extra

also, I know very, very few people under 25 that live alone. most people have roommates. when I lived in Boston, I was paying between $250 (in a 3 bed split in Mattapan, I rented out the living room) to $500 (in an overpriced 3 bed in Allston) a month, usually not including utilities. I'd say if you want to live in a decent area, budget around $500-$600 for a room share, maybe more for a nicer apartment in a great area. note I didn't had utiliy costs in this range since these will vary greatly. ditch the car since this will limit your options and your cash.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm pretty sure the age to serve drinks is 18. I started cocktail waitressing the month I turned 18.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Correct, the legal age is 18 for serving and 21 for consumption.
I had fun with that during my short-lived convenience store career - was 19 and freely partook of "samples" after unloading beer deliveries and stocking the cooler!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
When I first came to Boston 15 years ago I started at 8.50 per hour working at BWH. I rented a tiny but sparkling clean studio on Park Dr for $550/month. I had no car for the first six years. I worked hard, proved myself, one thing led to another, and this year I'll get near triple digits.

You need a few dollars to get started (1st month last month security deposit) and it would be wise to have a job before you get here rather than try to find one. I agree with Goyguy that you can make it here if you use your talents. Live modestly at first, establish yourself, and Boston will take care of you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston