Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM

13 posts, read 27,481 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am applying for a job in Cambridge and would like to know if it is possible/realistic to find a 4+ bedrooms house within a short commute (30 minutes max) to Cambridge and with good elementary schools? Could you indicate what those neighborhoods are and what the cost of the house would be?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
It's doable if you can swing the rent. I'd look in Belmont first, and Lexington and Arlington as well. It depends to some extent where in Cambridge you're going and how you plan to get there. If you're driving you could also check out Newton and Winchester, which are close. Otherwise, Belmont jumps out as it has commuter rail and buses that connect to the Red Line at Harvard and Porter.

A single family house for rent of 4BR+ in those locations might be on the rare side, but there are some available. I'd say you'd be looking at $2500 to $3000 but some will be much higher. Newton, for example, has a wide range of neighborhoods in terms of urbanity and also in terms of price. My girlfriend rents, with roommates, a large apt (about 2000 sq ft) in Belmont (near the Cambridge and Watertown borders) that has 5 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, a full dining room with built in china cabinet, a den, an outdoor front porch, and 2 full baths. That rents for $2500 and the place is gorgeous. Well-maintained and renovated only about 2-3 years ago. It is the second and third floors of a two-family house, which is a fairly common arrangement in that area. They share a driveway, yard, and the basement, which has washer/dryer, with a married couple who live in the 2BR apt on the first floor. That is a better bet for a lower price. I have seen single family homes in Belmont (which is overall a fairly pricy town) renting for $4000, but there are many for less. Winchester doesn't have that many rentals but I recall one a few months ago that was large and quite nice for about $2700 but it would usually be higher there.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM

39 posts, read 215,562 times
I was also going to ask where in Cambridge the job is -- it can take a half hour to drive within Cambridge at rush hour!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM

13 posts, read 27,481 times
the office is on Main Street

Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Driving into Cambridge/Boston is dumb. Live in one of the mentioned towns (Belmont/Lexington/Arlington) and take the bus in. You can get into Harvard Sq. in 20 minutes if you take the 77 bus in Arlington.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 AM

39 posts, read 215,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Driving into Cambridge/Boston is dumb. Live in one of the mentioned towns (Belmont/Lexington/Arlington) and take the bus in. You can get into Harvard Sq. in 20 minutes if you take the 77 bus in Arlington.
But the job is in Kendall, so that would be another 15 minutes to get on the T from Harvard Square... With time to get to the bus, wait for it to arrive, thats more than 30 minutes.

If you have $800,000 to spend on a house that needs work, you could do the 30 minute drive from Winchester (but only the part closest to 93) or Belmont near Route 2. Or Newton near 90. All have great schools. Expect to have to pay for parking - could be like $300/month. If you move into thetowns away from the highways, add another 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston