U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times

Advertisements

I expect to start working within 1-3 weeks. I'm in mid 40s, married, and w/ no kids.
I'm looking to either rent/sublet a ~$1200/mo studio/1BR for 1-6 months or to buy a ~$250K condo (1000+ sqft, 2BR, 1.5BA) right away.
I'd like the commute (public transportation or car) to max at ~45' door-to-door.
I welcome any suggestions.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 19,378 times
Look on craigslist for rentals in Cambridgeport, there are a lot of residential/rental properties nearby. The area is in between Red Line and "B" Green Line on BU Campus so you have many options if you want to commute although its probably going to be a walk from public transportation (5min to 20min depending on from which stop). Driving in to Cambridge in the morning is the same as any big city, all depends on the time/direction/weather and etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 AM

4,862 posts, read 12,902,205 times
The "insane" costs of renting or buying in Cambridge have moderated some of late. There continue to be new and newly-renovated condos on the market, as well as a few single-family houses. A former Catholic church, school, convent, etc in Cambridgeport is in the midst of being converted, in a secular sense lol. A new collection of yellow townhouses has recently been unveiled at River and Putnam; from there, you'd be little more than "45'" from work, never mind 45 minutes. On constitutionals around my neighborhood (the immediately-adjacent Riverside section) I've seen quite a few for-sale signs. "Now is the time to buy." Both Cambridgeport and Riverside are perpetually "hot" areas, strategically situated between BU and Harvard and MIT and minutes away from downtown Boston, the Back Bay, and the turnpike.

Another locale which might suit you well is the Oak Square section of Brighton, that Boston neighborhood's westernmost sector. It's a hodgepodge of housing, everything from the good-old-fashioned "three decka" to brick-box apartment buildings to 1950's ranch houses and Colonials to roomier older single-family homes. Take a stroll or drive along the streets feeding into Faneuil and Brooks St's, check out the teeming commercial section along Washington St surrounding - and eastbound from - the square, tour the almost-brand-new YMCA. You might like it a lot, or then again might not be inclined toward it whatsoever. For car-free commuting, the MBTA's 64 bus route originates in Oak Square, then crisscrosses the neighborhood briefly before heading for Allston via North Beacon St, thence to River and Putnam en route to Central Square or Kendall. When traffic's favorable the trip takes 15 minutes at most.

Reliably stable and comfortable communities well within 45 minutes of the Putnam Ave/Memorial Dr intersection are also comprised of Watertown, Belmont, and Arlington. Much of Somerville - adjacent to Cambridge - is also worth a look-see.

Do some recons first, then hire a buyer's broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston