U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 19,276 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was just offered a job in Boston and would be moving there from the the midwest (michigan to be exact) if the offer works out... I don't think that i can afford to live in the city but was hoping to get some idea as to what the other options are. my requirements are pretty simple: affordable(~$1000/mo.), safe, close to the T to make the commute easier!
any suggestions as to which areas may be good for me as well as any input on the bestt way to go about finding a place would be welcome... I'm also open to having a roommate but not completely sure how to find one (all my previous roommates have been either assigned or were people I knew!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 AM

80 posts, read 464,209 times
Affordability is a challenge here, especially close to the T. I moved here about 2 years ago and live in Arlington, MA, a great town next to Cambridge. Arlington is affordable for Boston standards, very safe, and the people are very friendly. You can walk to the Alewife subway station (red line on the T) from certain parts of East Arlington or you can take a bus to the Harvard Square and Alewife subway stations from any location near Massachusetts Avenue.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,175,949 times
You can checkout Boston craiglist. It will give you better idea about rent.
I think they also have sections regarding looking for roommates.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,865 times
you might want to think about Quincy. The Red Line runs right through the city and $1000 would get you a good one bedroom. It's also a pretty safe city.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,713 times
Hey faraday,

I am originally from Philadelphia, but I recently graduated from Salem State Colllege in Salem, MA. My advice for you is the North Shore, especially Salem, Marblehead, Beverly, or Swampscott. There are many reasons why. First, its way more affordable then in downtown Boston. In college I had my own place in Beverly and was only paying $600 a month, including all utilities. The second reason is the accessiblity. Swampscott, Salem, and Beverly all have major T stations, and trains travel daily to and from downtown Boston. Salem and Beverly are very walkable as well. You can walk to get your laundry done, for your banking needs, shopping, and recreational activities. The North Shore Mall and Liberty Tree Mall are nearby in Peabody and only a short drive by car. Routes 128/I-95, 1, and 1A are around the area and can take you immediately into Boston (15-20 minute drive to downtown, without traffic). And finally the third reason, which is perhaps you main reason why you should choose the North Shore over anywhere else: recreation. The North Shore area has a very rich history. All the towns were primarily founded around the 1630s. You probably have heard about the Salem witch trials (they actually happened in the town over called Danvers, but Salem takes all the credit....LOL). Salem has lots of museums and cool places to go to. Witchs, pirates, puritans, you can learn about them all in Salem. Both Salem and Beverly have large seaports. Marblehead has one of the largest yacht boat harbors in the entire country. Salem has a great night life. If I wanted to party hard I usually went to the clubs in Boston like Avalon and Roxy, but half the time I went to the clubs and bars in Salem. Then there is the scenery. Salem, Beverly, and Marblehead are all along the coastline. There are awesome views of the Atlantic Ocean as well as many great beaches. The Boston skyline can also be seen from the coastline at different viewpoints, which is really cool. My favorite thing to do was to skip class, ride my bike to the beach in Marblehead, and surf for the day. I'm sorry but you can not do that if you live in downtown Boston....LOL. I might not have gone to a prestigious college in downtown Boston like BU or Harvard, but atleast I had the ocean. Water gets really cold around late September, but nice in the summer. Waves are tame for the most part, but you have your lucky days. Cycling is probably one of the best forms of recreation you can do in the North Shore. I usually rode my bike from Rockport to Salem along the coastline, which is about 25 to 30 miles, and from Salem to Nahant, which is also along the coastline. The North Shore coast is dotted with multi-million dollar mansions as well, especially in Beverly (Beverly Farms), Manchester-by-the-Sea, Marblehead, and Nahant. Some of them probably go for more then 10 million. I said enough so I am going to make it clear. If you want a place that is for the most part affordable; very accessible to the city by train, bus, or car; is walkable to neccessities; has alot of fun museums and attractions to see; and has alot of recreational activities, including swimming, surfing, laying on the beach, cycling, and jogging; then my suggestion to you is the North Shore, especially Salem, Beverly, or Marblehead. I wish I never left, but unfortunately came back to Philadelphia. Someday I'll probably go back. Good luck with the search.

-PhillyGuy-

Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 AM

646 posts, read 1,733,423 times
We’re considering moving to the North Shore as well, but not as far up north as Salem and Beverly since I’ll being to BU and that commute would be a little too long since you couldn’t take the subway. What do you guys know about areas such as Revere and Malden? Revere looks nice next to the Ocean, but is that really a good area to live in? Seems to be a quick commute on the blue line and then jumping over to the green line to get to the green line.
And what do you think of Malden? It seems to be a little bit better of an area, but it’s not as close to the Ocean, but a similar commute with the orange line. Apartments seem to be a little cheaper in these areas than Brookline, Back Bay and other areas right next to BU.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,175,949 times
Short term rental (a couple of years) in Malden is fine. I'm not sure if it is a good place to raise kids. It can be a little rough.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 19,276 times
Wink thanks all and more questions!

thanks guys!! this has been a great help... like you said Stockholmaren, the one issue is the commute... I really don't want to have a long one! Does anyone have any suggestions or information about the west side of Boston? further out than Cambridge and Sommerville and so one...
Thank you all so much again!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM

80 posts, read 464,209 times
The towns west of Boston are all very safe, nice people, and have varying access to public transit. (note that many of the cities are more families than singles) Farther out, you can take commuter rail (note that commuter rail has less frequent service) from cities like Concord or Acton. You can take a bus or commuter rail from cities like Belmont, Waltham, Newton, or Medford (West Medford specifically, and it is probably the most affordable). As I mentioned in my earlier post, Arlington is very nice, safe, adjacent to Cambridge, likely more singles than some of the other western towns, has very frequent bus service and you can walk to the Alewife subway station from some parts of East Arlington (subway has more frequent service than the commuter rail or bus). If you decide to look in Arlington and need to be able to walk to the subway, look for locations southeast of Lake Street and southwest of Massachusetts Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston