Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:09 PM

230 posts, read 1,141,258 times

Advertisements

that's funny mark. i remember a post a while ago when you said that MBTA is really good and on time for the most part. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anywho. . Boston is awesome as I said. Do you have a job set up yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,849 times
You're not crazy! Speaking from experience, making the moving could be the best thing for you. I did the exact opposite - I'm 25, and just made the move to San Diego after living in Boston (well, about 20 minutes south of it) for my whole life. While I'm having a blast, I do miss it.

It really is a different vibe. The people aren't rude (mostly), they're just not as quick to open up and that can come off as stand-offish or rude. One of the earlier posters mentioned something along the lines of it taking a while to make a friend in Boston, but once you do, they're a friend for life, and I would say that's pretty accurate.

People from Boston have a lot of pride in their city, so be prepared to hear about that a lot (lot's of talk of the Red Sox and Pats - probably more than you can stand to hear haha)

The city itself has so many different areas, which makes it so interesting. You have the North End, which is Italian (and home to some of the best food in the WORLD), to South Boston (Irish), as well as Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Chinatown, Harvard Square in Cambridge, the Theatre District, etc. There's just so many different facets to the city. It's also beatiful in terms of aesthetics. The Public Gardens, Boston Common, and Fanueil Hall are all beautiful, and just some of the historic architecture is stunning (think Colonial churches, etc).

Season wise, the autumns in New England in general are absolutely stunning. Really, there's no better place to see fall. Winter's can be tough, but they only make you more grateful for the Spring when it arrives The summer's can get hot and muggy, but there's beaches right there (think a trip to Cape Cod or the North Shore).

Best of luck - Boston is fantastic. I say go for it! Let me know if you have any questions

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

118 posts, read 479,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark8251981 View Post
just so you know before you move...

1. this city is home to the rudest crudest people on earth

2. home to some of the biggest losers on earth

3. home to some of the biggest snobs on earth

4. we have five month horrible cold winters

5. we have the worst drivers in the country, driving on 128 is a daily dance with death

6. people are caught up in there own pathetic little lives, no one will smile and talk to you.

7. we do not have four seasons, 5 months of winter, 5 months of summer, one month of fall and spring

8. we have a corrupt one party government

9. illegals and minorities everywhere

10. horrible public transportation that is never one time.
---wow someone sounds bitter. i grew up in boston and now living in florida and i find ppl here in florida to be more rude than anything. i guess im used to the northerners. THE THING ABOUT US IS THAT WE DONT BEAT AROUND THE BUSH, WE GIVE IT TO YOU POINT BLANK. IF WE DONT LIKE U WE DONT LIKE U, BUT IF WE DO THEN YOUR A FRIEND FOR LIFE. AND IVE NOTICED THAT PPL WHO SAY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT BOSTON ARE JUST HYPOCRITES AND MOSTLY RESERVED PERSON, SOMEONE WHO DOESNT get out of there circle of friends much. oo what and u stated u can pretty much say about any big city. i love boston and i miss boston. especially the food and culture......

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM

138 posts, read 1,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
Anywho. . Boston is awesome as I said. Do you have a job set up yet??
Unfortunately I don't have a job yet...but I'm not moving until Oct 8. I will be looking for a marketing/advertising/graphic design job (so if you know of anyone hiring :-) ). Worse case scenario, I'll move and go through a temp agency...I've saved about $15K, so I should be okay for a few months.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 PM

198 posts, read 353,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionD View Post
I will be looking for a marketing/advertising/graphic design job (so if you know of anyone hiring :-) ).
It seems every young person I know is looking for a job in this field.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM

807 posts, read 3,182,361 times
Are you kidding?? Boston is totally great! That negative post could apply to any city anywhere.
Just curious...you've not been there, so how did you arrive at your decision? Surely not the old dart at the map routine...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,304,243 times
boston is great. great food lots of culture and 4 seasons.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,889,642 times
Default Be careful of people who..

...exaggerate the length of the average winter. A typical day in January reaches a high of around 35, and lows around 20. It is NOT that cold, especially to those of us who grew up in , at times, much colder environments (VT, MN, WI, etc.)Summers are warm , occasionally hot, with high humidity, and fall and spring are just fine (check out the fall foliage in northern NE; you'll be impressed.

I think you'll be just fine here in Boston.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM

28 posts, read 99,368 times
Of the cities I have visited in our fine country, Boston and Denver are neck-and-neck in terms of my favorites. Boston really has this vibe to it that just draws you in, it is romantic in a way, as lame as that sounds.

If I were to make a move, Boston would be at the top of my list. Sometimes I wonder if I should just move there anyways, but then I remember that I just bought a house and my ability to be spontaneous is now somewhat (very) limited.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM

31 posts, read 103,542 times
Quote:
just so you know before you move...

1. this city is home to the rudest crudest people on earth

2. home to some of the biggest losers on earth

3. home to some of the biggest snobs on earth

4. we have five month horrible cold winters

5. we have the worst drivers in the country, driving on 128 is a daily dance with death

6. people are caught up in there own pathetic little lives, no one will smile and talk to you.

7. we do not have four seasons, 5 months of winter, 5 months of summer, one month of fall and spring

8. we have a corrupt one party government

9. illegals and minorities everywhere

10. horrible public transportation that is never one time.
Are you kidding me????? The above poster is just very bitter and angry. I just moved from Boston, after living there for the last 21 years - I moved to the midwest....The people in Boston can be rude, but you find that everywhere - it is not a geographic thing.. have the most enormous group of wonderful friends in Boston, and have not made a friend here! People are far more closed off here than in Boston. I also miss the level of intelligence that folks in Boston had, the food (oh, man, do I miss Woodman's!!) and - OH, and guess what???? The people in Massachusetts are FAR BETTER DRIVERS than those that I have come across here...they don't stop for peds in crosswalks for one thing. There was a level of courtesy in Massachusetts that there isn't here...and I am very suprised by that, actually. The winters? Hardly! They aren't bad at all, not even worth complaining about. Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but I miss Massachusetts - and that is from someone who tried to get out of there for 20 years!! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston