Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM

24 posts, read 204,901 times

Advertisements

Hi every one i'm considering moving to Boston after visiting several times.I live in Florida right now and it is no real fashion or cool hang out spots here.I would like to know ,if their are any soulful hip places for people 25 and older to hang out?(LiveMusic,Comedy Clubs,Romantic Parks etc..) And in the winter or even summer if people dress to impress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,727 times
There's plenty of cool and interesting things to do in Boston for people of any age group. No problem there.

As far as being fashionable, the buildings are up to date but the people are a little frumpy. Fashion-wise, Boston (New England) isn't Hollywood, NYC, Paris, etc. We wear flannels, jeans, polartec, and Bean boots...not much Versace and Ferragamo.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM

532 posts, read 905,891 times
Sounds like you want NYC. The price difference isn't as much as you think. Boston is expensive too.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 AM

11 posts, read 59,354 times
There are lots of places, esp. if you are young. Try Back Bay, Fenway, Newbury Street area, Allston neighborhood, Cambridge area..lots of live music, people in their 20s-30s.This city is full of all kinds of fashion--it is very much like any metro city. You have your punks, neosoul, hip hop, emos,Paris Hilton wannabes,etc--all types of fashion. As far as the comment made about us wearing flannel shirts, that must be waaay out on the outskirts cuz i haven't seen a flannel shirt on anyone in Boston since 1995...well except for a few construction workers.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 PM

18,622 posts, read 33,188,568 times
For fashionable, I'd say (as a never-fashionable person) that Newbury Street and maybe the South End are the only neighborhoods that could be called fashionable. I don't think that's a positive thing, but the original poster asked.
Allston is purely college kid- nothing fashionable about it. Cambridge is distinctly unfashionable, self-consciously so, almost.
College kid does not equal fashionable, especially not in a Miami sense. I agree that only NYC might suit the OP.
I say this as someone who has never been or wanted to be fashionable. But you can feel the attitude all over Newbury Street and South End.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM

118 posts, read 477,896 times
yes i would consider boston as pretty fashionable and artsy. there are alotta young kids now adays that wear expensive clothing. alotta my friends wears like great china wall. juicy couture, d & g, a & g cashmere, etc, etc. kinda young hollywood type. but yes newbury st is a great place for outdoor dining and designer clothes and try brighton, brookline, fanuiel hall and cambridge for live music.....

Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglelove View Post
As far as the comment made about us wearing flannel shirts, that must be waaay out on the outskirts cuz i haven't seen a flannel shirt on anyone in Boston since 1995...well except for a few construction workers.
Only highly qualified people can see the flannel shirts in Boston.

Flannel is invisible to kidz that say "cuz" (unless they've read "The Man In the Grey Flannel Suit" - the Sloan Wilson novel about the search for purpose in a culture dominated by business).

Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM

544 posts, read 1,465,754 times
Less fashionable cities rule to me. Portland OR and Boston seem to have similar fashion taste.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,122,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
There's plenty of cool and interesting things to do in Boston for people of any age group. No problem there.

As far as being fashionable, the buildings are up to date but the people are a little frumpy. Fashion-wise, Boston (New England) isn't Hollywood, NYC, Paris, etc. We wear flannels, jeans, polartec, and Bean boots...not much Versace and Ferragamo.
I just dropped my son off at college in Boston and I couldn't believe how stylish the Bostonians were. And I'm from NYC originally. Maybe, in the winter people get frumpy trying to stay warm but all those beautiful young college and professional women were dressed with such great style and taste when I've been there in the warm weather. Those beautiful young college kids don't do "frumpy" and they are everywhere.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 59,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Only highly qualified people can see the flannel shirts in Boston.

Flannel is invisible to kidz that say "cuz" (unless they've read "The Man In the Grey Flannel Suit" - the Sloan Wilson novel about the search for purpose in a culture dominated by business).
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I am sorry professor, I meant to say "because". Gee!Thanks for the spellcheck! For the record, I am not a "kid". I am 32 years old.I do have common sense, street smarts and a brain.As for your flannel style, are we talking L.L. Bean flannel or Kmart flannel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston