Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,372 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional moving to Boston. I would like to live in a part of town that is like Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park of the Chicago area. The reason I like that area is because I can walk out my door and take the "L" anywhere, there are stores/coffee shops/restaurants/bars within walking distance, it has a city feel to it but is not quite in the city, safe, and there are a lot of young professional in the area. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
If you trying to move to Boston, you in the wrong forum to talk about that. You be better off going to the Boston forum.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,025 times
Default Comparing Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLion08 View Post
I am a young professional moving to Boston. I would like to live in a part of town that is like Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park of the Chicago area. The reason I like that area is because I can walk out my door and take the "L" anywhere, there are stores/coffee shops/restaurants/bars within walking distance, it has a city feel to it but is not quite in the city, safe, and there are a lot of young professional in the area. Any recommendations?
If you're trying to compare cities, maybe you should check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...e-chicago.html

Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
off the top of my head, I can think of:

-the South End (lots of nice brownstone apartments and condos, high end stores and restaurants, lots of yuppies and gays, close to downtown. however, not as much T access in some spots so you'd have to rely on buses)

-The North End (lots of Italian cuisine, in a high tourist area, close to downtown and the waterfront, not too far from various T lines. again, popular place for yuppies)

-Fenway (I've never been to Wrigleyville, but I'd assume it has a lot in common w/ Fenway: home to a historic ball park, lots of sports bars and clubs, and a mix of yuppies and undergrads.)

Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
If you trying to move to Boston, you in the wrong forum to talk about that. You be better off going to the Boston forum.

Thank you for the advice but I have already posted in the Boston forum. There are people who have lived in Boston that have moved to Chicago. They too would know what both cities are like and hopefully would be able to guide me in the right direction.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLion08 View Post
Thank you for the advice but I have already posted in the Boston forum. There are people who have lived in Boston that have moved to Chicago. They too would know what both cities are like and hopefully would be able to guide me in the right direction.
Maybe you can ask our mods to delete this thread ?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-11-2008 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 09:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
North End, South End, Fenway, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, etc. etc etc.

Boston is fully of expensive walkable neighborhoods on or near the "T". Heck, even much of Cambridge feels pretty urban and walkable, and I wouldn't rule it out. Most of the people I know in Boston who bought real estate bought places in Somerrville (i.e. Slum-erville), which is also urban and walkable in many parts.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
I'd also look into Davis Square in Somerville. Its quite a bit cheaper than similar areas in Cambridge or Boston.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks for all of the advice!!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Default Like Sukwoo says..

...Davis Square in Somerville would be comparable, and right on the subway line..other possibilities would include Brookline (near the Longwood Medical Center district)..the South End, and Cambridge (Harvard, MIT), would be good areas to look into, as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston