Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 AM

288 posts, read 1,194,479 times

Advertisements

Car insurance in Somerville/Arlington is affordable. You're in between Woburn and Dedham, so if you get transferred no big deal.

The foresight to ditch the car is smart, but this is one of those very rare exceptions that calls for one if the work involves Dedham or Woburn. If you have to work southbound there's no direct way--by car it's either Route 2 to 128, or it's Southeast Expwy. to 128. North to Woburn is a car too.

JP is being thrown around because of mention of Dedham. It's the only place in the southern reaches of Boston if single (Rozzie, Hyde Park, W. Roxbury and Norwood are for families). But the scene in JP is very limited compared to Somerville/Arlington/Cambridge. You can find housing deals far away from Davis and Porter Squares (like Inman, Union Sqs.).

If you try to keep a car there, comparatively no problems with Som. Arlington maybe (but street parking might be an issue). (Forget it for Cambridge, the parking isn't there.)

If attempted w/out a car, Woburn isn't really convenient. There's a commuter rail stop that can get you to a couple of places w/in bicycling distance; Dedham probably is the same. If you have a car, you're commuting outbound against rush hour traffic to either destinations so it's easy.

If you live in JP, public transit might be doable for Dedham, but forget it for Woburn. If you live in Somerville area, forget public transit to Dedham, and even public transit to Woburn isn't good.

Last edited by ctrres; 11-01-2008 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,514 times
I may be moving to Boston from Cleveland. My office would be in Dedham also. These posts are helpful. I too am looking for a safe place- where they have great workout places/yoga/coffee houses/restaurants. Late 30's type of crowd.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM

132 posts, read 498,049 times
First off, the New England culture is completely different than any other place in the country.

The Boston Metro area is generally very young. I think the average age is 24. Most anyone over the age of 26 here is married with multiple kids.

The single ones are very cliche and it's very hard to meet people in general here. Don't expect dating to be easy.

In general, Boston is like a city in England. People are cold, traffic is terrible, roadways are confusing, food sucks.

Also, beware of any relocation packages that bring you here.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM

2,747 posts, read 6,162,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
The Boston Metro area is generally very young. I think the average age is 24. Most anyone over the age of 26 here is married with multiple kids.
This I find puzzling. First, I believe the average age is somewhere in the early 30's. Second, I'm in my late 30's, and have very few married friends. And most of them are childless.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
This I find puzzling. First, I believe the average age is somewhere in the early 30's. Second, I'm in my late 30's, and have very few married friends. And most of them are childless.
I stand corrected on the average age, I was going by hearsay from a born & raised bostonian. Maybe it's the company I work for but everyone that didn't just graduate seems married.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,077,598 times
Where are you eating that the food uniformly sucks? Your office cafeteria?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Where are you eating that the food uniformly sucks? Your office cafeteria?
Sorry, but that is my opinion. I've eaten at dozens of places all over Cambridge & Boston. I wish it weren't true, but it is. Tastebuds do differ however. I think the food here is geared towards Irish / UK tastebuds.

If you like spicy foods, there is nothing good here. I talked to some latin friends of mine that lived here their entire lives and they wholeheartely agree that you have to go to Laurence to get anything decent.

I talked to some desi (indian / pakistani) friends and they say nothing is worth eating around here.

I talke to some african american friends of mine and they agree that food here is terrible.

The vote is split between my caucasian friends. The ones that never stepped a foot outside of MA love the food here.

I've been to Anthem in Boston and have to say it was good. I do like the plain jane desserts like cupcakes at Flour. Genki-Ya is decent sushi. But I've had so many bland meals at Dolphin, Summer Shack, Barking Crab, Legal Seafood, Lord Hobo, Thailand Cafe, anyplace on Newbury st, various Irish Pubs, just too many to list.

Best meal of my life came from this little restaurant in Phuket, Thailand that had a green curry that blew my mind! Also the Soup Nazi aka Soup Man in NYC was ridiculously good. Best Latin food I ever had was in this place in Miami towards the hood, esp the ceviche. Mi Casita in Puerto Rico also had the best Mofongo ever!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM

A few more things came to mind - Famous Farmers in DC had the most incredible breakfast. and maybe b/c I'm american, I preferred the foie gras from Montreal over the ones I tried in France.

I think the problem with Boston food is that there is a very short farming season here. So fresh ingrediants are hard to come by. This is coming from a friend of mine who is a wine sommelier and can taste any wine and tell you what side of the hill the grapes came from!

My research on Boston's food was extensive and ultimately, disappointing.

One side note: If I hear one more Bostonian smugly mention how they are a "foodie", I'm going to scream.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM

2,747 posts, read 6,162,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I think the food here is geared towards Irish / UK tastebuds.
We Irish don't have taste buds.

In regards to the age issue, try expanding your social circle. I know it can be difficult here for a newcomer, but there are plenty of single people in their late 20's, 30's and 40's.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,077,598 times
You and I do have different tastes, then. That said, I wouldn't expect anything but a bland/mediocre meal at Summer Shack,Barking Crab, Legal Seafood, most Newbury St places or Irish pubs serving pre-frozen fried crap. I like the beer at Lord Hobo but the food is overpriced for what it is (blame Cambridge's weird licensing laws for that one--they demand a 50/50 profit between food and beer sales)

There's plenty of good food to be had here, but bemoaning a city's culinary weaknesses (rather than playing to its strengths) is a good way to be constantly disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston