U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am will be pursuing a MBA/MSF dual degree this fall once I graduate from the UCLA Anderson School of Management and Economics by the of this quarter. I have applied (February 15th) and have selected Boston College as a potential grad school for this coming fall. I am in great need of your help with some pointers/advice as to what to expect should I decide to go on this journey to your great state. I will be visiting Boston this July and need to know what areas to avoid. My understanding is that housing is as expensive in MA as it is here in CA. Is that true, if so how so? What are some drawbacks of owning property given that MA is a very progressive, liberal state. I must say that I’ve had a blast these last four years at UCLA. It has been an experience that I will treasure all my life and wouldn’t trade it for anything. However, I feel the need to depart from this ostentatious, shallow, plastic, and superficial environment called Southern California. How ironic that it is home to some of the wealthiest communities in the country, but also to the largest concentration of homeless. My definition of So Cal is: a racist and prejudice Garden Salad with an astronomical disparity of wealth so apparent that you can actually notice how homogeneously segregated each region has become. Is CA that much different from the East coast when it comes to demographics, politics, lifestyle, mentality/ideology? How do these two states differ?

I want to thank in advance to all you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read this post. Any word of advice will be appreciated.

Socalboy21
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 AM

4,461 posts, read 7,318,303 times
Interesting post

filled with lots of questions regarding social economics, wealth issues, race, east coast vs. west coast 'culture'.

I am over in eastern Connecticut- about 80 miles from Boston- travel to Boston and Providence.

On housing. Housing prices in metro Boston are high- but considerably less then southern California. The median single family home price in southern California is near 570K- in Boston it is around 397K- if however you go south and west of the city this drops- so housing in the Boston area is about 30% or more less then L.A/Orange county/ SD.

In Massachusetts for that price you will get a much larger lot, and nicer house in a much better neighborhood .

Owning housing in the Bay state varies from town to town- property tax rates vary- but are likely to be higher then California. However schools are superior then in California by far- and local services are excellent.

One of the growing problems in the USA is the growing disparity of wealth- and California seems by far the state that exemplifies this problem. New England will have less of this- with more 'average' people trying to make a living here. Also crass materialism and ostentatious conspicuous consumption here is seen far less, and even among many of the wealthy is frowned upon.

There are to be for sure- the 'elite rich' of Boston on Beacon hill, or on the south shore; and Toney Fairfield county Connecticut- that can be exclusive and snobby- but believe it or not they are less affected then some of the upper station towns in LA. SD and the San Francisco bay area.

Racism, sadly to say exists everywhere- and even in New England there are some ' mostly all white' communities. However many towns are diverse, and people learn to get along.

New England is perhaps the most liberal 'Blue' region in the USA; however the people tend to live their lives in a more 'puritan' dare I say conservative matter. Liberal on social issues- but they themselves in their 'lifestyles' have not changed much in 400 years. Boston is actually a very puritan and at times stuffy city- Liberal socially, even radical in some circles ideologically and politically. This is one of the great paradoxes of New England and Boston.

The weather also plays a significant role here in the peoples attitude. We have distinct seasons- weather is highly changeable. Most people anticipate the seasons- the glory of spring after the gray cold winter, the warm summers on Cape Cod and the beach, the colors of autumn and the psychological change that offers.

I have spent much time in northern California- and there are very distinct differences between here and there. My own subjective feelings are that people in the northeast can be more brash, rude, in your face- but more honest. They also have more depth, and look more deeply into matters of their own life and the world.

Lots of great food here as well, perhaps not so much the 'California Cuisine' school of thought- but innovative nonetheless- with an emphasis on seafood, and ingredients of the region.

Good luck- any other questions- ask- I am sure others near Boston can flesh out my feelings further. Read some of the other posts here of former Californians now in Mass and the Boston area- they can be of great help.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-20-2007 at 04:56 AM..

Old 02-20-2007, 07:59 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,174,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalboy21 View Post
I will be visiting Boston this July and need to know what areas to avoid. My understanding is that housing is as expensive in MA as it is here in CA. Is that true, if so how so? What are some drawbacks of owning property given that MA is a very progressive, liberal state.
The other side of Rt9 near Northeastern U.

You will love BC. It has one of the prettiest campus around here.

Housing is cheap compare to CA.

There is no down side owning property near BC. If you own a condo, you can always rent it out or even have a roommate. There are thousands of college kids paying $40-50K a year going to school. What's another $10-20K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalboy21 View Post
Is CA that much different from the East coast when it comes to demographics, politics, lifestyle, mentality/ideology? How do these two states differ?
You will see less Asians, Hispanic and Blacks. It is predominantly Caucasian 80+%. Asian is less than 4% vs 10+% in CA. Black is 7-8% vs nationally of 12%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston