Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear you visited the Boston area last week. The towns you picked are extremely good ones I might add. I hope you end up in the Newton or Cambridge area to tell you the truth!

I live near Portsmouth, NH. There's some stunning property for sale right now in that town, especially on the way in to the Market Street area. Portsmouth is now being called a "bedroom community" of Boston because there's so so many commuters going in to downtown Boston for their jobs, in fact, more now than ever before and early in the AM is when we really see them all. That's when we really see the influx and huge change in our beloved seacoast region of New England. You're right it's only an hour or so out of the Boston area, it's no big deal. A lot of friends of ours from the Boston area and the south shore though? It's this major major day trip for them and it's only 50 miles out of their area to come up for a visit! It's pretty funny isn't it?

I went to HS (years ago okay!) in Cambridge between Harvard & Central Squares, some beautiful condo's & homes being renovated thru there these days, more now than ever! I also have a family member that lives in Newton, that IS a town that you'll really enjoy living in, especially raising kids, the schools are wonderful. That's great that you have it all narrowed down any way!

Sorry I don't know a thing about Wellesley, it's on the other side of the planet to me! Isn't that funny how it is in New England with us?! It's on the other side of the Dedham area?? (I think!), I'd need to use my navigator to get there! You're right, it was always a bit snobby even saying the name of that town, but I'm sure it's just a perception we all have? To put it another way? Just a lot of people with the big bucks; and you know, they have to live too! LOL! The seacoast region of southern NH has quite a bit of that too, as long as they're happy, whatever!

As far as driving in Massachusetts is concerned? You're right, you nailed it with your post describing it. I have to stick up for the break down lane drivers though, early in the AM it's a lot of the commuters and as long as they have more than 1 person in the car, they can use the breakdown lane all they want, the cops won't stop them, BUT if there's only 1 person in the car? They're NOT supposed to do that. BUT that's not to say they won't do that because a lot of them will when they don't see a cop around trust me! The rules of the road are always being broken by SO many these days. We're always saying to ourselves, "Where's the cops when you need them around here?!" They never ever see them pulling these "cute moves", do they??! BUT don't you love it when they get caught!

Much happiness in your big decision! You're going to feel the cold going right thru your bones, believe me, what you experienced over Thanksgiving week? Is nothing to what we're going to get in a few weeks around here. Remember, dress warm. Think "Cuddle-duds" especially after Christmas when the temperature around here really really drop down, down down, oh, it'll drop like you would NOT believe with unbelievable wind chills.

You can get "cuddle-duds" at Macy's online or just google and you'll see what I'm talking about! They're micro-fiber or they come in silk too, in black or white, they're MUCH better than wearing wool under your clothes!

The beauty of living in New England though is it's over and then we're on to another season. I really can't imagine not having 4 seasons...

My nephews wife, who's from southern California really enjoys New England so far, none of us thought she'd adjust here at all, but surprisingly she's a trooper with our weather conditions here. She's pretty fortunate too though, she goes to visit her parents & siblings roughly 4-5 times a year and vice versa with the kids; (I'm talking a few weeks at a time, how nice huh?)

Good luck with your new adventure, I wish you a lot of happiness!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 12-03-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,533 times
Saw someone was reading this old thread and wanted to update on Young Achievers School in Woodbourne. It's now a viable option for the neighborhood. It's been renamed the Boston
Teachers Union School. Here's a link:

Boston Teachers Union School Home page

Good luck to all families moving to Boston!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 AM

40 posts, read 91,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
I'm BACK! We LOVED New England! We had a fabulous Thanksgiving week in Boston & spent the days traveling around trying to see as many towns as possible. Went to Plymouth the day before Thanksgiving (thanks cohdane! we have decided that the turkey day feast is a must do next year!). I did research on the schools before we left, and even though we were set on living in a loft in Boston, we do not have $40-60k extra to spend a year sending our kids to private schools, so once we checked out Boston (which we LOVED!) we focused more outside of the city itself (based on the fact that I dont "get" the whole BPS system where you have to put in for the school but you might not get it - its not worth it to us to take that chance).

I will fill you in on our personal opinion/conclusions especially for 1size2smll's benefit - 1size2smll I have to add that I really think it is a MUST for you to go check out Boston if you are considering it....we considered moving last year and had we actually made the trip we would be living in the NE already!

Not considering Back Bay, South End & such (since we are pretty sure we are not going to focus in Boston anymore) we especially liked Newton, Cambridge & Wellesley... (and it is not because we are snobby[something about those places as told to my husband when he met with business associates while we were there] - I think it is just because they are more similar to places we are used to albeit with the addition of historical buildings).

I must say that all of our friends here in So.Cal that are from the NE told us how the people are rude, we wouldn't want to live there, the weather is too horrible, etc. and we found the people to be nicer in the NE than they are here in So. Cal. that said, there are nasty people everywhere you go, but we are no longer worried about the so called "rude" people of the NE Also, as far as the weather, it was a "brisk" (as the hotel described it) 26 degrees when we got there.... brisk my word, cold is more like it - cold indeed! We just dressed appropriately (read: coats, sweaters, boots, hats) and we were fine walking around the city....granted it wasn't snowing, but it squashed another fear of ours (i.e. hacking the drastic change in temp). I am just crossing my fingers that is doesn't get too much worse than that?!

I have to say what the heck is up with the roads in the Boston area? Half the time (especially in Boston) we didn't know if it was one, two or three lanes as they were not marked and people seemed to drive where they pleased...not to mention we encountered people driving straight through intersections in a clearly marked left turn lane - it took some getting used to. Having lived in cities like San Francisco, Denver, Portland & Seattle I have to say the roads throughout Boston are a bit harder to navigate (not as much on a grid so to speak), but we can't hold it against Boston, it was established way before any of the cities we are used to driving in I also have to add that it was TERRIFYING to us (and mind you, we are used to LA traffic) to be cruising down the freeway and have people blow past us in the break down lane....in all the places we have lived I have to admit that is a new one for us! The yielding on the on ramp was a little frightening as well, if we slowed down to yield here when entering a freeway it would be grounds for a road rage shoot out! I no longer wonder why people think we are crazy drivers here in California.

Suffice to say we have narrowed down our choices, and I am not sure if they are appropriate for this Boston forum or the MA one in general but we are considering: Hingham, Scituate, Wellesley, Natick, possibly Cambridge & Newton. We also really enjoyed Portsmouth, NH (but obviously questions directed to that town belong in the NH forum).

We drove all the way up to Portland & made it to RI. It amused us that everyone we spoke to seemed to think we were crazy to stay in Boston & explore the other states from there. I have the feeling that living in California has skewed our idea of what is a "drivable" distance - we thought it was no big deal to spend a day checking out towns in New Hampshire on our way to Portland & every night we were back in Boston by 8 or 10.....Apparently people don't typically drive 100+ miles in a day there? We also had planned on making the drive to Northampton & Amherst (& didn't get out that way) but we didn't make it a priority because my husband really needs to be closer than that to an airport.

So, I know this post doesn't fully pertain to my original question, but I thought you might enjoy our experience because you helped make it a more focused one! Thanks again for your advice & if you want to add your opinion on the towns I mentioned (or add others for that matter) I would love to hear what you have to say! Thanks again!
great info!

LOL regarding your comment, "our friends here in So.Cal that are from the NE told us how the people are rude"

Being from SoCal and thus, being apparently designed to "judge" others myself ...people from SoCal consider themselves liberal and are oh so very quick to judge often driven by their seemingly being pretentious and self-righteous, i.e., "liberal" definition per Calif standards. Its those same people that make me thrilled to have the opportunity to leave this horrible state (other than year round weather that affords outdoor activities, there is nothing redeeming about Calif IMHO). Spending countless hours recently on this website my "observation" has also been that the people that whine about the most trivial of things in terms of their dislike for Boston are the same people who note their like for places like that toilet called Los Angeles - go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston