Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,871,154 times

Advertisements

Tell me which one I should go to and why.

What makes these two schools diffrent?

I have never been to either of them but I will be moving to Boston in 6 months and I will be planning on going back to school.

I know nothing about these two schools. I don't even know why a city needs TWO community colleges. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
is Mass Bay CC in Boston?? I can't remember. anyways, you forgot about Roxbury Community College in Roxbury, but most people forget about this college, so no major lost.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 AM

9,894 posts, read 15,461,978 times
Mass Bay is in Wellesley. You can see it from Rte.9. As far as a choice between Mass Bay and Bunker Hill - Mass Bay would be A LOT better.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Mass Bay is in Wellesley. You can see it from Rte.9. As far as a choice between Mass Bay and Bunker Hill - Mass Bay would be A LOT better.
ok, that's what I thought. I remember when I was looking into community colleges, my choices were basically RCC and BHCC- and RCC kinda sucks!

OP regardless of which CC you choose, check to see what their transfer guidelines are in case you want to transfer to a 4 year school.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,027 times
My brother in law has taught at Bunker Hill for years and says that it is not unusual for his hardworking immigrant students to finish their last two years of college at good universities--Harvard included.

Some families plan to send their kids to two years of community college and then finish at a private university to save money.

So it's all what you make of your years at school.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 AM

132 posts, read 248,697 times
It really depends on what you're majoring in?? Mass Bay is split into two campuses, one in Wellesly and the other in Framingham. If your intention is to go into health care, be advised there are long waiting lists no matter which community college in New England you choose. You should really call the two colleges and and speak with some advisers.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM

79 posts, read 279,114 times
The is also North Shore CC with campuses in Beverly, Danvers and Lynn. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,422,866 times
I took a few courses at Bunker Hill and found it to be adequate but very poorly administrated. Trying to enroll, schedules classes, get info, transfer credits, it's all a mess. Once that's done the classes were fine. The biggest advantage of BHCC over MB is convenience. BHCC has it's own stop on the orange line - nothing could be easier as a commute if you live in the city. I think the suburban CC's are much better run though. If you can plan to reside conveniently to Mass Bay, I'd choose that. North Shore CC is also a good option, as is UMass Boston or Salem State. Finally don't overlook Harvard Extension University - night school at Harvard for a fraction of the price. Even if you took one class you could tell everyone you went to Harvard!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,714 times
Default miss

how can I check the transfer guidelines if I want to transfer from cc to a 4 year school.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I took a few courses at Bunker Hill and found it to be adequate but very poorly administrated. Trying to enroll, schedules classes, get info, transfer credits, it's all a mess. Once that's done the classes were fine. The biggest advantage of BHCC over MB is convenience. BHCC has it's own stop on the orange line - nothing could be easier as a commute if you live in the city. I think the suburban CC's are much better run though. If you can plan to reside conveniently to Mass Bay, I'd choose that. North Shore CC is also a good option, as is UMass Boston or Salem State. Finally don't overlook Harvard Extension University - night school at Harvard for a fraction of the price. Even if you took one class you could tell everyone you went to Harvard!
Hey i have tried alot on UMASS but about convinience $$$ a counselor from umass told me that doing the two first year on a CC and then the last 2 year on an University will be the best option for me, that's what i will do BUT im not quite sure of going either to BHCC or Massbay... BHCC its 3.4 mile closer than Massbay but i went to BHCC just to see and everything looks like a real mess, i have told that massbay its cleaner than BHCC and the administration also its better and also good classes... So even though BHCC its closer than Massbay for me... Think will be better going to massbay than BHCC???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston