Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
It has to be one of the ugliest city hall buildings in America.
Then we should relocate, and a small sub-station right near Fenway Park. Why
when The Bo Sox are playing, and on top, all is right with the world, and red sox nation! It just may help to keep the price of tickets low!

Any idea how the State House, is, in the polls! The gold dome, with this economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I have seen much uglier buildings than city hall in Boston. Why should every building here look like it was built in the 1700-1800's? Notice how NYC has a nice contrast of buildings from 100's of years ago till today?

The Hearst builing in NYC is actually a very ugly building. And I think there are numerous structures in Asia that are also ugly. I think someone had it out for Boston...
I agree with you. The Hearst building in NYC is sort of flavor of the week architecture and will be out dated pretty soon.

I do think Boston has a good contrast of Old/New in terms of buildings. The best example is the stunning contrast the John Hancock Tower creates agains Trinity Church and Copley Square. The vista up State Street with the Old State House standing in stark contrast to One Boston Place is uniquely Boston and one of the best in the nation.

I do think someone had it out for Boston. Many people don't like city hall because it's unusual and it's different; not because it's a hideous building.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
The Boston city hall building really is quite ugly and doesn't really go with the rest of Boston architecture.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
Boston City Hall has earned its derision since it was first opened. The problems are not only its look - once described as looking like either an upside down birdcage or the package it came in - and the bleak bricked expanses of City Hall Plaza. One of the problems is that under those bricks there are two subway lines and stations. That alone makes it impossible to do a foundation for a building there. Many suggestions have been made for the Plaza, and I have always thought it might serve as Boston's St. Marks Square - as in Venice - with a little imagination, some music, and good coffee.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM

^I agree with the plaza's potential... that would mean engaging retail, cafe, and restaurant space on at least 3 of the 4 sides and a redesign of the plaza itself (preferably on that's less bleak). The JFK building was intended for retail on the plaza level, but obviously, they replaced it with over-the-top security measures... how inviting!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Default Maybe Boston City Hall isn't the ugliest of all.

Check out Dallas City Hall ... Wow! Even Uglier than Boston's! Dallas certainly has a lot of ugly buildings...

http://dextrovert.com/albums/downtow...Hall.sized.jpg

Look what they destroyed to put this up...

http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/cso/archi..._CityHalla.jpg

and then this ...

http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/cso/archi...tyHall1930.jpg

Look - here's the jackyls who did this ... and to think their smiling about it ...

http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/cso/archives/75117-6.jpg

I guess they aren't aware there is a death penalty in Dallas. At least Bostonians don't smile about their city hall...

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 PM

19 posts, read 61,224 times
Irfox -- that's a gorgeous rendering of the proposal. Is it on the BRA website? Or where did you find it?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic526 View Post
Irfox -- that's a gorgeous rendering of the proposal. Is it on the BRA website? Or where did you find it?
That isn't a rendering, it's only a place-holder by the developer ( Demolish the Garage: Benefits (http://demolishthegarage.com/benefits_10.htm - broken link) ) to show the scale of the project in relation to the city. Though for some reason I can't find it again on their site. The image I posted was in a thread about this proposal at archboston.com.

The developer has opened the floor to architects from all around the world to create proposals for this site that will include a 500 foot tower and a 700 footer as well as some other smaller buildings.

Only a few days ago, the real renderings and models were revealed at a public meeting and they including some stunning proposals from world-renowned architects. One of the members of archboston was in attendance, but but photos weren't allowed. Luckily, that member's cell phone had a camera and he snapped a bunch of pics and posted them for the rest of us. They're not top quality photos, but they really show some top notch proposals for this location. Check them out here: Congress St Garage is being sold. - Page 51 - archBOSTON.org

I really like the Cook and Fox, Gensler, and Foster renderings. Check them out, they blow away the placeholder shot I posted here. Boston deserves some of this archicture.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,228 times
Default Ouch!

The chick on the left has ONE BIG HEAD of hair!

btw... Didn't anyone tell you that city hall is in reality the crate used to deliver Faneuil Hall!?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 PM

^They also say that One Boston Place is the box that the Custom House Tower came in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston