Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 AM

53 posts, read 331,322 times

Advertisements

Here goes another question about great places in/near the city to live with young children...

If we DON"T head for sunny Miami next Fall, my husband and I would like to live in or almost in, Boston. We have a small child and have lived in the Suburbs always (apparently we've got the "city bug", maybe a mid-life crisis in our mid 30s...).

Does anyone live in, or know about, a GREAT area, family-oriented, lots to do, good schools, safe, in or near Boston?? that you'd recommend, or not recommend?

We'd love a list of places to check out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 AM

124 posts, read 904,893 times
I would recommend not living actually in the city; the schools are not good -- really, not good. There are some interesting charter schools, and a couple of exam schools at the high school level, but you are not in any way guaranteed entrance to these. I personally love living near Boston, but am not crazy about living in Boston now that I have kids, and schools are safe neighborhoods are such a concern. If you can get your little one to a private school and finances allow it, the Back Bay area of Boston is lovely. I'd live there if I could afford the housing and the cost of private school. It is unbelievably expensive there.

Outside of the city, but still close, Arlington is a nice option. It's very close to the city. The schools are quite decent. Brookline also -- technically, not part of the city of Boston, but honestly it feels just like a Boston neighborhood, only better. :-) Great schools, pretty safe, and right on the subway. And many, many things to do, since you're so close to the city, and because Brookline is a nice artsy city all its own (theatres, art house cinemas, fun restaurants...). But it is quite expensive to live there.

If you don't mind living a little further out, Newton is wonderful -- good schools, lots of shopping, restaurants, close to the Green Line (one of Boston's subway lines).

These are rather expensive options, though; you didn't mention whether you're planning on renting or buying or what your price range is. If budget is more of an issue, I'd recommend going further out. The South Shore has some really nice communities -- but the more city-like areas do not have good schools (Braintree, Quincy, and Weymouth are all on or very near the Red Line subway, but the schools are not so hot, and driving is a pain). You have to go a ways to get to good school districts. Plymouth, for example, is fantastic -- really, one of my favorite areas of the state: good schools, tons of history, a lovely downtown with shops and restaurants, the ocean right there... but it is an hour from the city. So probably not what you're looking for.

If you have a sense what you can afford and how far out you want to go, I might have more advice. But if the expense doesn't worry you so much, Brookline, Arlington, and Newton have that city feel (and easy access into downtown Boston) but are very safe, with good schools.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Terrific help, "Lovely...", just what I was looking for. I'd actually wondered especially about Brookline, and you've confirmed it. Our ideal is to downsize, move into an apartment or duplex in a real neighborhood. We're living in Bedford, and have lived in Concord and Wayland...so you see we'd like to be in the action a bit more! (I'm telling you, it's a premature mid-life crisis!)

I don't want Newton, I'm sure. Any numbers for cost of living in Backbay? _Now THAT sounds like what we want...but not if it's outrageous.

Plymouth sounds great -I'll research it anyway, though it sounds too far.

Anyway, terrific direction, thank you.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:45 PM

124 posts, read 904,893 times
As for cost of living other than housing, if you've lived in Concord then you'd probably be fine with Boston or Brookline. I know Concord well -- and it's a lovely place, but definitely the kind of town that can bring on a mid-life crisis a little early, I think.

Housing is the sticky part about the Back Bay. If you're buying a place, then a 2 BR condo would probably be, at a minimum, around $500k, with a property tax rate close to $11 per thousand. I'm not sure about rentals there... Brookline, although it's pricey, is not so expensive as Back Bay; I bet you could find something for under $400 (and could rent for anywhere between $1500-$2000 for a 2 BR).

And definitely research Plymouth... it is far out, but there's a train; and it is so very, very affordable compared to the places you've lived so far. We're moving there in a couple of years, actually. I love the city, but if I can't have that I'll take Plymouth. So I'm biased....

Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I find that people who want to live in the city ...lives in the city.

Brookline is one option without actually living in Boston. They have great public school. You can still have some suburb in the city. They have youth soccer team, basketball team, ... etc. If you want a house (instead of condo) in Brookline, it is big $$$$$$$. It is actually more expensive than backbay.

If you want to live in Boston, just send them to private elementary school. The Boston exam schools like Boston Latin is better than many suburb high/middle schools. (assuming he/she can get in; only accept at 7 and 9th grade exam)

Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Thanks both of you...
(loved your comment about Concord "Lovely"...it's all making sense now!!)

Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Just want to add one thing about city living.

Many think city living is a bad thing for kids. If you live in the right neighborhood, it is not bad at all. The place may be smaller. However, the city do have many things to offer.

For example,
Sailing on the Charles river via community boating.
Boston Youth Symphony that your kid can participate.
Classes at MIT (SPlash program).
Museum of Science classes
Children Museum classes.
Museum of Fine Art classes.
Parks along the waterfront.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao777 View Post
Terrific help, "Lovely...", just what I was looking for. I'd actually wondered especially about Brookline, and you've confirmed it. Our ideal is to downsize, move into an apartment or duplex in a real neighborhood. We're living in Bedford, and have lived in Concord and Wayland...so you see we'd like to be in the action a bit more! (I'm telling you, it's a premature mid-life crisis!)

I don't want Newton, I'm sure. Any numbers for cost of living in Backbay? _Now THAT sounds like what we want...but not if it's outrageous.

Plymouth sounds great -I'll research it anyway, though it sounds too far.

Anyway, terrific direction, thank you.
if you want the city check out south boston in Plymouth taxes etc would be lower. also the plymouth brockton bus takes you into the city, as does th train.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks MK. Is Plymouth really an hour away though?

I agree with Smarty about the advantages of city-living for kids, and that's what we want...but not exorbitant cost of living.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,513 times
Hi tao, I'd definitely second Brookline & Back Bay. Many of the couples whom I know w/ kids also live in Beacon Hill, although that's an exorbitantly expensive option (although a great and adorable one!)

May I ask you, how have you liked Bedford? My husband and I are hoping to make the move to a home next year and start a family, and Bedford's on our list as a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston