Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,927 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.
I am a French guy moving from California where I am an international student to MASS, Boston.
Yeah so Im moving because of Graduate school in Boston but mostly because California is too far from my cultural background for me

I love New England because I feel more like in a European place.
So here comes my question...
I am wondering which neighborhood to move to. I am looking for a medium price because Im not so rich , Im also especially looking for a neighborhood with the same culture I am from...So Western/Northern European people...(German, french, English, irish etc.)

Dont want to sound "racist" like americans say...But I have had my share of other cultures already....

Please help me out !
Nico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 22,118,626 times
First, what do you consider "medium priced?"

We can narrow down the list when you throw out a price range, but here's what I can give you now:

1) The North End has a real European feel... probably more than any other U.S. city. There are narrow streets, cafes, and restaurants everywhere. It's very pleasant and walkable and it's convenient to the rest of the city. It's not cheap, but less expensive than neighborhoods like Beacon Hill and Back Bay. It's Boston's "Little Italy" and as a result many of the restaurants and bakeries are at least Italian themed.

2) South End... again, another dense neighborhood lined with cafes and trendy restaurants. Probably the "hippest" neighborhood in the city. Convenient to the downtown areas and mass transit lines. It's going to be similarly priced to the N. End.

For the rest of my suggestions, you're getting away from the city center, but they're great little neighborhoods. I'll also suggest ones on the subway lines to make commuting to school easier (where are you going to Grad School?).

First, Harvard Square (actually in Cambridge). It's a beautiful neighborhood, in fact, the blend of urban activity, the college, and the variety of shops, restaurants and cafes all centered around a subway stop has drawn comparisons to the area around the Jussieu Metro Station and the Universite on the Left Bank in Paris from many people who have been to both places (I can't vouch as I've only heard this from others). This will be less pricey than the downtown areas of Boston

Next Davis and Porter Squares (in Somerville and Cambridge, respectively)... both lively urban neighborhoods centered around subway stops. These areas will be less expensive than Harvard, N. End, S. End, etc (but again, not cheap).

Coolidge Corner in Boston is popular among the younger crowd and would be relatively more affordable. Good amount of activity in the area.

Finally, the area around Centre St. in Jamaica Plain is nice too. the neighborhood is a bit more suburban feeling, but it's centered around a nice, dense, street with plenty to do. It's also a few blocks from the subway.

There are some others and I'm sure some other people will suggest them for you.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:14 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,470,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico333 View Post
Hi guys.
I am a French guy moving from California where I am an international student to MASS, Boston.
Yeah so Im moving because of Graduate school in Boston but mostly because California is too far from my cultural background for me

I love New England because I feel more like in a European place.
So here comes my question...
I am wondering which neighborhood to move to. I am looking for a medium price because Im not so rich , Im also especially looking for a neighborhood with the same culture I am from...So Western/Northern European people...(German, french, English, irish etc.)

Dont want to sound "racist" like americans say...But I have had my share of other cultures already....

Please help me out !
Nico
Hi Nico,

I was just talking to a man who moved to Cambridge from Paris. He grew up in France. He said he and his wife adjusted well to Cambridge because it is so international. Cambridge is not cheap, but if you look you may find something. My girlfriend pays $1,000 for a small apartment there and loves it.

Woofers

Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,927 times
Very interesting thank you
Basically what I mean by medium priced is 700-900 dollars for a studio
I will be going to boston college probably but Im still looking at universities because there are so many in this "athens" of America

Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM

137 posts, read 395,205 times
Cambridge to BC is slightly annoying by public transportation, I'd shoot for Brookline if you are sure about BC... but if you end up at Harvard, MIT, etc definitely go for Cambridge, it's more diverse/cultural

Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,052,564 times
$700-$900 is not a realistic price for a studio. I would either plan to increase your budget or look for a roommate situation.

Moving to a large metropolitan area and expecting to avoid "other cultures" other than predominantly white ones does make you sound racist, sorry.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,708,933 times
Just stay away from Roxbury, Chelsea and Matapan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston