U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM

17 posts, read 39,341 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to the Boston area around June of this upcoming year. College may play a role in our housing decision (perhaps Boston University or Tufts). For certain one of us will be commuting to the Coast Guard Base, which I believe is centered more downtown?

We are looking for some information on areas surrounding the city, and are most concerned with cost, safety, and daily commute.....ok, and maybe some night life!!!! We are all in our mid 20's, some single...some not! But like to party all the same! Any suggestions????

Would like walking distance to grocery, subway, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Just some background on various suburbs close to the city would be great! We can't decide where the best place to live is and we are not familiar with the area!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 05:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,651,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanduhzilla View Post
Planning on moving to the Boston area around June of this upcoming year. College may play a role in our housing decision (perhaps Boston University or Tufts). For certain one of us will be commuting to the Coast Guard Base, which I believe is centered more downtown?

We are looking for some information on areas surrounding the city, and are most concerned with cost, safety, and daily commute.....ok, and maybe some night life!!!! We are all in our mid 20's, some single...some not! But like to party all the same! Any suggestions????

Just some background on various suburbs close to the city would be great! We can't decide where the best place to live is and we are not familiar with the area!
The Davis Square area in Somerville sounds like what you are looking for. Right on the T, theater in the square, restaurants, pubs and young people. It's also safe.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:24 PM

17,517 posts, read 30,793,673 times
I think the Coast Guard facility is on the south side of Boston in the waterfront area. Not real walkable to much, because of the nature of the development. Not remotel convenient to Tufts (northwest of Boston, in Medford, but doable by train).
I think maybe Quincy would be a good near-Boston city. Red line to Coast Guard (or sorta near) and then into Davis Square in Somerville for a bus or brisk walk to Tufts.
You do not want to be driving between those two areas at any time except maybe 3am on a weekend night. Trust me on this. Best wishes on your move.
Quincy could be called a suburban city. It's a real city with a real downtown (not quaint, but a real place). Until recent years, its big industry was the shipyard. There are a lot of Asians moving there and buying property. It is not a "suburb" like huge lawns and no sidewalks and all. It's a genuine small city, as far as I know, and you can see Boston from it.
If you wanted to live near Tufts, I can only think of somewhere near the Redline to get to the Coast Guard, but it's not the most direct straight shot to the waterfront by train. I think you can take Redline to South Station (the heart of financial/wharf/south of downtown Boston- major business center) but then I think you'd have to take a bus or taxi further into the south waterfront area for the Coast Guard.
Also remember that the trains stop running at, I think, 12:30 at night. I mean STOP, not infrequent. Bars close at 1-2 am. Do the math. It's idiotic.
Best wishes!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,651,775 times
The Coast Guard Station is in the North End on Commercial St.
It's a 5 to 10 minute walk from Aquarium Station.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Additional Info to Original Post

Quote:
For certain one of us will be commuting to the Coast Guard Base, which I believe is centered more downtown?

!
Just to note that the person affiliated with the Coast Guard will probably NOT be commuting on a daily basis- he will spend most his time on the boat so our main commuting concerns are with the University and the area surrounding.

Don't know if the surrounding cities offer mainly apartment living, but we would like to find a small house with a backyard. Is this a possibility just outside the city or will we need to stick with the suburbs?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Where to Live in Boston?

Ive been researching areas in Boston to live and have thus far think I've figured out a few.

There will be 3 of us living together, will need at least 2 BR's and would prefer 2 baths. Have 2 cats, one small dog. Would like to stay at $1800.

I have been referred to Somerville (Davis Square) and North End. I think those two places seem to fit best, but again, I don't know a lot about them.

Also considering Cambridge area.

Brighton, Allston, Brookline, Quincy...these have been suggested but I don't know much about them.

How does parking work in the majority of these places? I've read on many craiglist listings where some renters include parking. Is parking something you have to pay for if it is not included in your housing? Also, I know many of the rentals in and around the city will be apartments/townhomes. Where would be a good place close to the city/subway where we could find a small house- or is that even possible? I have a small dog who I'm worried about with the cold weather (we are used to a low of about 50, if that) and don't know if there is much greenspace around the places I have listed. Any info on the towns above would be great, such as cost of living, nearby transportation, age group, night life, etc.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:42 AM

284 posts, read 1,111,226 times
Pets - this will limit your choices, as many landlords don't allow pets at all. If they do, you will likely have to pay a fee. But it's not impossible to find a pet-friendly space.
Parking - if it's not included, than it means you will have to obtain a permit from the city and park on the street. Depending on the density of the neighborhood, street parking can be a big pain. The North End will be the most difficult neighborhood to park in. I don't think if it would be a good fit if you have more than one car.
Green space - parts of Cambridge have a fair amount of parks, Brookline has the most, and you might want to add Jamaica Plain to the list as well.
Finding a house - in many neighborhoods you've listed (Brighton/Allston, Brookline, Somerville, Cambridge) multi-family homes are very common and single family homes are a rarity. As it's outside of "Boston proper" and it's own city, Quincy has many more single family homes and more green space. Though, it's significantly less urban (more families, less night life) and it takes at least 30 minutes to get to Downtown Boston on the T.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM

230 posts, read 1,102,745 times
I would cross off the North End. Not only could you be priced out (there are some deals, but two bathrooms is always the kicker), but parking is atrocious in Boston proper in general. Even more so in the North End. I love my neighborhood with a passion, but I could never do it with a car. Parking is rarely (and i'm serious when I say rarely) included in the North End unless you are living on the waterfront, and then that's where you'd be priced out. Chancing it with the on-street residential parking is certain to be a nightmare.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Is jamaica plains a safe area? I've read mixed reviews.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM

284 posts, read 1,111,226 times
Quote:
Is jamaica plains a safe area? I've read mixed reviews.
Many of us on here have lived or are currently living in Jamaica Plain. Do a search of previous posts and I think you'll find that the consensus is that certain areas (generally in between the Jamaicaway and Lamartine Street, near the Stony Brook or Green Street T stops) of JP are perfectly safe and a great place to live. It's has a slightly more urban feeling than Brookline, but it's more culturally diverse and potentially more affordable. There are lots of young professionals, artists/musicians, as well as families. There's strong support for local businesses and community events. And I've always thought JP is pretty similar to parts of Somerville- just on the opposite ends of the city! There is a wealth of green space, and I think this helps keep the apartments pet friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston