Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 34,456 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My sister and I will be moving to Boston and I did some research on living close by Boston University's Kenmore Green line stop. I saw some choices: Fenway, Kenmore, Backbay. My criterias are : Live very close to BU's Kenmore stop (I don't want to have more than a 10-15 commute time each morning), a 2 br apt (I'm thinking about $1400-$1600?) and a safe neighborhood prefer to be close to restaurants, grocery etc. Any thoughts on those neighborhood, safety, difficulties to get an apt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua123 View Post
Hi,

My sister and I will be moving to Boston and I did some research on living close by Boston University's Kenmore Green line stop. I saw some choices: Fenway, Kenmore, Backbay. My criterias are : Live very close to BU's Kenmore stop (I don't want to have more than a 10-15 commute time each morning), a 2 br apt (I'm thinking about $1400-$1600?) and a safe neighborhood prefer to be close to restaurants, grocery etc. Any thoughts on those neighborhood, safety, difficulties to get an apt?
It's all pretty safe around there. You won't anything in Back Bay for that price, but the others probably. I briefly browsed Allston prices and saw plenty of choices.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Isn't Allston on the west side of BU. I would prefer to stay on the east side, closer to downtown where my sister will work.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Isn't Allston on the west side of BU. I would prefer to stay on the east side, closer to downtown where my sister will work.
You're talking about a difference of a mile. Allston is conveniently served by the Green Line. Kenmore is essentially the very end of the Back Bay. To get east of Kenmore you'll need more like $2000 a month minimum for Back Bay or Beacon Hill.

Fenway is a good choice. Most of the Fens (East Fens and West Fens) is not conveniently on the Green Line (B/C/D lines)to Kenmore. If you can find a place around Kenmore Sq or Audobon Circle, that would ideally located for you. Kenmore is NOISY though - there's a LOT of bars there! East or West Fenway is good is you are willing to walk or bike to work which is not so pleasant in January.

Back Bay or Beacon Hill if you're willing to pony up the extra dough. Other than Allston, going west is Brookline (pricier) or Brighton (about the same price as Allston but a little cleaner and more suburban).

Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times
I agree with Bostonian08. The difference between Allston and Kenmore is only a mile, and both are served by the Green Line. The extra time spent on commute downtown will not be very long. And Kenmore Square is more noisy and expensive than Allston, being so close to Fenway Park and Back Bay itself.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM

If we were looking to move there next August, how soon should we start looking? I saw from posting on craigslist that are already advertising for renting 9/1/09! On the Allston side, which station is the best place to live? On the green line of : St Paul, Pleasant, Babcock or the other side: St. Mary, Hawes, Kent. Which side of town has more grocery, shopping, better place to live etc.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,585 times
As you probably know, Boston is full of students who typically leave the city over the summer. Most students start looking for new places with leases starting at the beginning of the next school year during the spring. For an August move I'd start looking seriously in March, but keep in mind, the majority of leases start 9/1 especially in the areas you are looking in, because many students live there.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Quote:
If we were looking to move there next August, how soon should we start looking? I saw from posting on craigslist that are already advertising for renting 9/1/09! On the Allston side, which station is the best place to live? On the green line of : St Paul, Pleasant, Babcock or the other side: St. Mary, Hawes, Kent. Which side of town has more grocery, shopping, better place to live etc.
There isn't much distance between the streets you listed as being on different "sides of town." The space between them is a mile at most.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
There isn't much distance between the streets you listed as being on different "sides of town." The space between them is a mile at most.
Yeah, that's all fine. If you go south of the B line it will be more polished and suburban. North of the B line if more eclectic and party also shabbier but probably cheaper. You can also live along the C or D line and get to Kenmore Sq. It's all very nice or very fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston