Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,879 times

Advertisements

My fiance' and I are considering moving into, or around Boston. My fiance, being practically fully irish, is looking for a bit more of that culture in his everyday life. While he has a job that will allow him to transfer into Boston, I do not, and I was wondering how the job market looks. We've had to move around a little bit this year due to layoffs and the economy being such a wreck, so we're hoping to find a place with a little bit of stability.
I have read that the cost of living is significantly higher than what we are used to. Is it at all possible to rent a decent place at or below the 650/month level? We are used to small spaces so we wouldn't need much, however safety is a concern, and we do have fairly moderate standards when it comes to quality of life.
My fiance is a drummer, and is looking to get back into a local scene. How is the music scene in the area? Any suggestions on sites to look at to get more of a feel for it?
If anyone could answer any of these questions for me, or offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,716 times
Unfortunately, it's not likely you will find a place (a studio or one bedroom) for $650 a month in the city. $900/month is generally the cheapest you'd find for a tiny studio in the city. If you are willing to find a roommate, you could definitely find something within your budget. South Boston has traditionally been home to many Irish families, so you may want to start your search there. But if you aren't interested in a roommate situation, others here will be able to recommend towns in the Boston area that would match your budget.

In terms of jobs, it really depends on what field you are in!

To see what music venues are like, check out the site for the Middle East night club, the Paradise, Great Scott, the Milky Way or Midway Cafe. If you could tell us the style of music he's into, I might be able to point you to more specific venues or popular local bands.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,879 times
Thank you so much for the clarification. Do the suburbs outside of the city have about the same cost of living, or do they reflect this as well? I am just beginning to research all of this, and I can use all of the help I can get.

Primarily, I have worked within the customer service industry; working previously as an account representative for a few different companies. I also have sales experience, and have done a lot of clerical work. Although, since we are looking to find somewhere for the long-term, I would only be looking for this kind of work until I can finish my degree.

Thank you for the venue suggestions, I will definately look into those. In the past, he has played in different type of rock groups, mixing different styles of music, looking for that original sound. We are interested in all types of music, and his style is very versatile. Everything from jazz, punk, and hip hop, to harder rock sounds, he played in world-beat drum circles, and really just anything new and interesting is always good!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,565 times
It's kind of a music epicenter. To the above add Johnny D's, Plough and Stars, TT the Bear's.

One of the ways to get around cost of living is no car, you don't need one.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
You could manage the move. You'll have to accept that moving to Boston is a move to a higher level economy so it will be a little tough economically at first but if you really want to be there, which when you get there you will probably immediately fall right in love with the city, you'll hang tough for the first year or two and then will find your way into Boston society.

You'll have no trouble finding a high paying waitress job in downtown. Find a fancy place where food costs a lot and you'll do great. The hubby will find Boston's music scene real high level. There are 5000 bands in Boston but a definite shortage of drummers. Opportunities abound and the sky is the limit but competition high.

Except for a roommate situation, you have no chance at getting anything less than $850 in a decent part of town. And you'll need at least first month and security deposit and likely 1st, last, security. So you need money just to arrive. Then my suggestion is to have an extra $1-2k around to supplement your monthly payments.

You'll like downtown or Cambridge the best. Consider Fenway, Allston, Brighton or Mission Hill. All of Boston is reasonably safe except parts of Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan. Stay geographical close to downtown and you can't lose.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I wouldn't blithely assume someone wiill have "no problem finding a high paying waitress job". Restaurants, particularly in the high-end marke, are hurting as much (or more) as any other industry. Also, did the OP mention even having waitressing experience?

DellaBlu, as you start your research, something else to consider is how T-accessible you want to be or if you will need parking. But as others have mentioned, $650 isn't realistic--$1000 is more of a starting point and honestly, that won't get you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston