Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,989 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I DO use Craigslist for everything in california, thats how ive always found apartments, but the thing is, is that i know the city i live in.. I dont know Boston, so when i look on craigslist.. i dont know whats real or not, and i dont know what to be looking for, or where.. ive narrowed my search down to, Brighton, Alliston, Brookline area.. etc.. And ive been looking at maps of the city and researching it alot to become more farmiliar with everything. Thankyou all for giving me so much info! it's really helping me.
I actually have one more question.. In the winter, ive read from some forums that it doesnt snow too much in the city, and on others ive seen people say that it snows like crazy in the winter. so im really confused as to what the winters are like there.. ive been to the snow in canada and new york. but ive never lived in it. what would i need to stay warm, and what essentials do i need to survive winter?
oh and P.s. The school im going to attend is SMFA. (School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston) and its in Fenway.. I think.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,051,798 times
It snows here. We got a few inches last night, and close to a foot a couple of weeks ago.

You definitely need waterproof boots that are suitable for slushy/icy sidewalks, a coat, hat, scarf, mittens....

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,536,349 times
If you're under the age of 30 you won't need more than some kind of winter coat. When you're older you need things like boots, gloves and a hat. No big deal. All this stuff can be picked up at Target or ordered from LL Bean or Land's End.

Don't worry about the winter. You'll be fine. You get used to it, it's actually kind of pretty, and it doesn't last forever.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,989 times
I was wondering, of good places to shop for cold weather clothes. all the stores i go to are usually for warm weather. I found a few things at macys, but id like to find more because they dont have too much of a wide variety of winter things. Im 20 years old. so i like newer/hip type things. and i cant find any decent long thermal underwear anywhere. Also. what are the necessities i'd be needing for my apartment? you know. things one shouldnt go without during winter.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,714,474 times
shop on sales, ll bean or lands end which sears has. 20 years have you money now, if so, welcome
to Boston! Orivis is good also. Rich or Poor, save the money, shop wisely!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,365,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabspiach View Post
I was wondering, of good places to shop for cold weather clothes. all the stores i go to are usually for warm weather. I found a few things at macys, but id like to find more because they dont have too much of a wide variety of winter things. Im 20 years old. so i like newer/hip type things. and i cant find any decent long thermal underwear anywhere. Also. what are the necessities i'd be needing for my apartment? you know. things one shouldnt go without during winter.
I've found some nice coats at TJ Maxx, but not sure what style your into. a thrift store in a nice area or a consignment shop may have some unique clothing that may be worth checking out. then there's the tried and true hot spot for the 20-something college kid: Urban Outfitters

depending on the quality of the apartment, you may want to get some clear plastic for the windows to prevent drafts (hopefully, you won't have to deal w/ this hassle. I've rented some fairly draft free apartments on the cheap). I'd suggest getting a good humidifier since heating can suck the moisture out of the air and you'll wake up w/ a dry throat every morning.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,051,798 times
Macys has a large coat department. Are you talking about one in CA? If so, it would make sense that they wouldn't carry a large selection.

Other than a humidifier, I can't think of anything specific you need for an apartment that you wouldn't have already. Maybe a down comforter?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,317,215 times
Quote:
oh and P.s. The school im going to attend is SMFA. (School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston) and its in Fenway.. I think.. lol
Personally I'd look in Jamaica Plain or Mission Hill for ease of access to the MFA school. Orange line to Ruggles or the Green line E along Huntington are quick commutes to the school. I find the commute from Allston or Brighton a bit of a hassle since the MFA is not that convenient to Kenmore

Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM

284 posts, read 1,169,261 times
Quote:
I strongly advise waiting until you get here to purchase the majority of your warm weather stuff. Something you may think is great for cold weather when you try it on in a store in CA might not fit the bill for a windy day in Boston when the temp is 15 degrees! Just pay attention to what other people are wearing when you get here.

Also, I'm not sure why someone under 30 doesn't need a hat, gloves, scarf, face mask/neck warmer combo, and boots! I'm 23 and have many different types of winter accessories. You'll want them, too! I like to get stuff at REI or Eastern Mountain Sports.

Having lots of layers of clothing is important, even when you're in your apartment, because heating an apartment can be really expensive. Some of my friends who refused to keep the heat below 65 would often face $300 heating bills in the winter!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,495,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiJP View Post
I strongly advise waiting until you get here to purchase the majority of your warm weather stuff. Something you may think is great for cold weather when you try it on in a store in CA might not fit the bill for a windy day in Boston when the temp is 15 degrees! Just pay attention to what other people are wearing when you get here.
Style is something personal... I agree to wait until you come... but do get a jacket to tie you over. As to if there are lots of snow.... some year we do... some years we don't. Boston is usually a little warmer being right next to the ocean... there are usually more ice than snow....

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure why someone under 30 doesn't need a hat, gloves, scarf, face mask/neck warmer combo, and boots! I'm 23 and have many different types of winter accessories. You'll want them, too! I like to get stuff at REI or Eastern Mountain Sports.
Because she can call a cab and don't need to wait 20 minutes in the cold for public transportation or walk 20 minutes in the cold.

Quote:
Having lots of layers of clothing is important, even when you're in your apartment, because heating an apartment can be really expensive. Some of my friends who refused to keep the heat below 65 would often face $300 heating bills in the winter!
Housing is cheap compare to CA..... With sugar parent, I would try 4Seasons Hotel long term rental.... everything will be taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston