Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,985 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!!
So here's the Dilemma..
So this June, my boyfriend and i will be moving to Boston so i can go to art school. But, I have NO idea where to even look for apartments.. whenever i do they show me places like 30 miles outside of the city, which is where i don't want to be. What's the best area in the city for students? which areas are ghetto? What prices should i be looking at paying for a studio/1 bedroom Apartment?
I don't necessarily have to be right smack in the center of Boston, but i dont want to be too far out, just in a nice, friendly area. I'm moving from California, so I'm not going to be bringing a Car.. what are the transport types there? i heard that there's something called the "T".. but i don't know what it is.. and also, seen as im moving from sunny sunny California, what kind of winter weather will i be expecting? does it snow in the city? Sorry, I'm sure that sounds stupid to you, but the only place ive been during winter was NYC, and it didn't really snow in the city.. just on the outskirts.
So yeah, those are my questions, if you guys have any answers, please leave some comments for me!
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Golly gee. 30 miles away you said? I wonder what sites have you been looking at. Boston is a college town with plenty of undergraduate and graduate students renting apartments here. I would recommend looking at the website Boston.com (which also gives you access to most of the daily Boston Globe newspaper). There is a section that tells about apartments available to rent around the area.

The most popular neighborhoods for college students and young people alike are Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill (also known as Roxbury Crossing), Jamaica Plain, and the Fenway. The inner ring suburbs of Cambridge and Somerville are quite popular too. Still, college students in Boston rent practically everywhere as long as the place is close to public transportation. Rent is pricey in the Boston area because it is such a popular area, expect to pay around $1000 or even a little higher for a 1 bedroom in most neighborhoods. Many students opt to find a roomate and share apartments to offset costs. You might be able to find a 3 bedroom for $1500 to $2000 for instance so that may be a little cheaper if you share it and split the rent.

Boston has a wonderful transit system, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and yes you are right it is commonly known as the "T". The MBTA runs four rapid transit rail lines, several bus rapid transit lines, several commuter rail/interurban lines, and over 150 bus routes. All of the neighborhoods mentioned above are served by at least one rapid transit line so you needn't worry about getting around. In my opinion, the MBTA is not as efficient as San Francisco's MUNI system if you've ever been on it but it is still is reliable.

Boston does have cold snowy winters. We get on average 14 more inches than New York City (though we are getting HAMMERED with snowstorm after snowstorm this winter as I am writing this), during cold days buildings tend to turn up the heat at full blast and so the air inside the buildings can get stuffy, and catching the flu bug at least once a winter is not at all unusual. Be careful walking on snow and ice as well. I am not writing this to scare you but you have to remember that you are coming to a cold northern city where temperatures do fall below freezing point on many days in winter. All in all, it is not as bad as you may think. Just take advice from locals when you get here and try to get used to the wintry weather as much as possible.

Generally speaking, Boston is a much safer city than two decades ago. You should have no problem going to all of the places frequented by young people as long as you are alert and stick to common sense. The art museums are all in safe neighborhoods so you needn't worry. There are several sections of Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, Hyde Park, Lower South End, and East Boston that are tough, blighted neighborhoods but mostly only locals go to these places. There isn't much to see in these neighborhoods anyway. Just have a map in hand and ask locals whether a place is safe to go to or not.

I hope you make your best stay here in Boston and welcome!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,985 times
Wow thanks so much for all the information!! It really helps alot.. Wow.. I was expecting the rent to be alot higher.. In Santa Barbara where I live, its really stuck up, and for some reason quite desireable (its where all the celebs have houses, (Oprah Winfrey, brad Pitt, etc..) So the rent is about 1300 for a tiny on room studio, thats about 200 square feet. with MAYBE a microwave, if youre lucky.. Hahah. My parents have been to Boston, but they didnt really stay for too long so they dont really know how to guide me. So thanks alot for all the advice, its definitely greatly appreciated!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,123 times
All the places mentioned above would be great! In terms of your apartment search - It's likely your school has an off-campus student services office and they can tell you where the majority of their students live and the names of reputable realtors. Craig's List.org is where most students find their apartments, so once you have an idea of the neighborhood you'd like to live in, I'd start there. I also recommend purchasing the latest edition of the "Not For Tourist Guide: Boston" so you can learn more about the T and the city's neighborhoods, without having to sift through tourist-y crap. It will also come in handy once you make the big move!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Where's the school located? That can make a big difference in how quick and easy it is to get there from a particular neighborhood. If you pick the "wrong" neighborhood you could be in for two or three different buses and well over an hour each way every day. Or you could wind up with a very easy commute. You've got to decide what you can afford, what kind of area you want, and how long you're willing to commute.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
$1K for a one-bedroom is a pretty lowball figure. You should check out Craigslist for some prices.

If you are going to Mass School of Art, Jamaica Plain or Mission Hill would be convenient locations.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,639 times
in regards to boston you can reach me at [EMAIL="snowbanshee@att.net"]snowbanshee@att.net[/EMAIL] i live in tx but am from boston i can answer most of your???? just send an email or we chat on yahoo mess and do a twenty ??? sherry

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
$1K for a one-bedroom is a pretty lowball figure. You should check out Craigslist for some prices.

If you are going to Mass School of Art, Jamaica Plain or Mission Hill would be convenient locations.
$1000 may be a lowball figure but not at all impossible. Boston.com's list shows several 1 bedrooms around this price range and even slightly lower too. These can be found in Allston, Brighton, Jamaica Plain, and even Huntington Avenue, right by the MFA and the MA School of Art. Okay, maybe $1200 for a price is a safer bet for a good 1 bedroom apartment. I also saw 2-3 bedrooms from the $1500 to $2000 price range and of course some priced higher.

I personally recommend Boston.com's search for the newcomer over Craigslist. Craigslist has a large selection but it tends to focus on upscale neighborhoods such as Back Bay (where rents obviously are pricier) and doesn't let you narrow your search to a chosen price range as Boston.com does.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
$1000 may be a lowball figure but not at all impossible. Boston.com's list shows several 1 bedrooms around this price range and even slightly lower too. These can be found in Allston, Brighton, Jamaica Plain, and even Huntington Avenue, right by the MFA and the MA School of Art. Okay, maybe $1200 for a price is a safer bet for a good 1 bedroom apartment. I also saw 2-3 bedrooms from the $1500 to $2000 price range and of course some priced higher.

I personally recommend Boston.com's search for the newcomer over Craigslist. Craigslist has a large selection but it tends to focus on upscale neighborhoods such as Back Bay (where rents obviously are pricier) and doesn't let you narrow your search to a chosen price range as Boston.com does.
well, right now landlords may be lowering their rents due to it being winter. rents tend to drop a bit during the winter (low demand) and rise a bit during the summer (high demand)

and you're wrong about Craigslist. CL DOES allow you to search w/in a range (min and max rent amount) and you can absolutely search in neighborhoods that aren't upscale. not sure what site you're thinking of, but I've seen listings for every single neighborhood in Boston on CL. the Boston Cl even allows you to filter out apartments w/ no fee from apartments w/ fees. sadly, you really need to comb through the search results since there are tons of not-to-bright people posting rooms for rent in the apartment for rent section (I'd set a minimum of $700. you're likely not going to find a studio cheaper than this in Boston)

Last edited by eevee; 01-10-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Craigslist has a large selection but it tends to focus on upscale neighborhoods such as Back Bay (where rents obviously are pricier) and doesn't let you narrow your search to a chosen price range as Boston.com does.
Are you confusing CraigsList with another site? Because neither of these things are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston