Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Boston: rent townhouse, realtor, broker, market , housing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I think finding a "private yard" would be the biggest problem. As others mentioned, it is possible to find a place in an urban setting with a yard (like in Cambridge or JP) but it would be very rare not to share that yard with the other residents of that dwelling.

Also, it would be small, and Boston being as densley populated as it is, it definitely wouldn't be the kind of thing where you could just leave your dog in the yard all day while you're at work.

I agree that a dog-friendly neighborhood like the South End sounds like what you are looking for. And if you really only have one weekend to apartment hunt, I would go with a broker.
"I would go with a broker." Yes, and be prepared to pay an arm and a leg to a broker, too. (Sorry, but that's true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
It is tough to find a townhouse with a private yard. Why not a house? Check out West Roxbury which is the southwest part of the city, past Jamaica Plain and Roslindale. There is a commuter train that goes through WR and Rozy and ends at South Station next to the Financial District.
You can go with a broker, but I'd check craigslist first...
craigslist: boston classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
"I would go with a broker." Yes, and be prepared to pay an arm and a leg to a broker, too. (Sorry, but that's true).
better to spend an arm and a leg than to have wasted a weekend and go back home w/ nothing. maybe the OP can spend the first day searching solo and the second day w/ a broker if they couldn't find anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
It is tough to find a townhouse with a private yard. Why not a house? Check out West Roxbury which is the southwest part of the city, past Jamaica Plain and Roslindale. There is a commuter train that goes through WR and Rozy and ends at South Station next to the Financial District.
You can go with a broker, but I'd check craigslist first...
craigslist: boston classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
"lively" is not a word I'd associate w/ West Roxbury. sounds like the OP wants to be in the thick of it

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
fsp fsp started this thread

13 posts, read 48,265 times
Thank you for all of the helpful replies. We have a lot to think about! When I originally said we'd like to find a townhouse, I was referring to the rowhouses rather than townhouses in a complex. One of our dogs tends to whine when we leave (we have a tiny dog and a bigger dog, and ironically it is the bigger does that does this) and we are not sure how long he does this, so we are looking for a place with a little privacy, so as not to bother our neighbors. I have seen some posting for duplexes, and that might work if we can find one that is either the top two or bottom two floors of a building.

One question-when you all refer to "commuter trains" are these the kind that I would drive to and park at the station, and then get on the train, which would take me to the downtown area? (I'm imagining this to be like the outlying BART stations in SF??). Our goal is to get to work without having to to get in the car at all. We only plan on bringing one car, and due to our work schedules, I don't know if it would be practical to do that if we both end up needing to drive to the station.

As for the broker fee, I thought their fee was equal to one month's rent. Is that not true? I'm worried by the "paying an arm and leg comment."

Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM

284 posts, read 1,167,123 times
Yes, it's typical that the broker fee is one month's rent, but some (likely those who have the luxury of lots of time to find a place) consider it a huge price to pay. But again, for the two of you, it would be worth it.

The commuter rail is similar to BART. Many people do drive to commuter rail stations, but you may be able to find a place within walking distance depending on the neighborhood.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Whether you can find what you are looking for in Boston depends on what you refer to when you say "Boston." Most of the land area of the city of Boston proper is made up of formerly separate small cities that Boston annexed back in the 19th century. Those sections are still commonly referred to by their original names they had as independent cities. The central city area commonly referred to by the name "Boston" ...
Ogre: Not to split hairs but I think Boston Proper means Boston without all the annexed districts. That distinguishes the central city area from the outlying areas. For ex, notice the DPW announcements in the newspaper: "Trash Collection tomorrow only in Boston Proper and Roxbury." Or get your hands on Cleveland Amory's Proper Bostonian.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Ogre: Not to split hairs but I think Boston Proper means Boston without all the annexed districts. That distinguishes the central city area from the outlying areas. For ex, notice the DPW announcements in the newspaper: "Trash Collection tomorrow only in Boston Proper and Roxbury." Or get your hands on Cleveland Amory's Proper Bostonian.
This is my understanding too. I say "Boston proper" only for the central area with a Boston mailing address and "the City of Boston" to denote all of Meninodom in its splendor.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsp View Post
One question-when you all refer to "commuter trains" are these the kind that I would drive to and park at the station, and then get on the train, which would take me to the downtown area? (I'm imagining this to be like the outlying BART stations in SF??).
Correct, though some of them don't have much (or any) parking anyway. Thanks a lot, Belmont! )And people wonder why anyone would drive into Boston.) It does bear pointing out that in some places not too far out from Boston you can live within walking distance of the commuter rail and wouldn't need a car to get to it. I'm thinking of places like Newtonville, West Newton, Auburndale, maybe Belmont and Waverley. Honestly, living in any of those places I'd want at least one car in the household but you wouldn't need it to get to work. There are are also apartments with yards near those stations.

The West Newton station in particular is near a nice little stretch with shops, and indie movie theatre, a couple of bars, restaurants. It's not as much action as in Boston or Cambridge but for the 'burbs it's OK. Much cheaper than Boston or Cambridge too. And Newton is a nice, safe town. You might want to look at places within walking distance of that station. There was recently a nice apartment up for rent in Auburndale that was OK with dogs (a lot of landlords aren't).

A big problem with commuter rail is determining if the trains run often enough for your taste. For example, at least one line out of South Station (Greenbush) does not run a train for two hours in the early evening. If you miss the 6:38, the next train is at 8:25. That, to me, is ridiculous and enough to keep me from considering any of those towns. I suppose a lot of people in Boston are at work pretty early and many leave by 4:30 or 5, but for those of us who don't it's no fun to get out at 6:45 and know you won't be home until after 9. Other lines are better but none of them run enough trains for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsp View Post
As for the broker fee, I thought their fee was equal to one month's rent. Is that not true? I'm worried by the "paying an arm and leg comment."
One month's rent is probably the highest they go (though that is a arm and a leg for the service you often get). Many places in the near suburbs are a half-month fee or no fee at all. If you're OK with a month's rent for a fee, don't worry about it.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
The BART runs 24 hours, and the MBTA does not.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
the Windsor Gardens complex in Norwood has it's own commuter rail station (located w/in the complex, quick walking distance) where the trains travel into South Station. they also have townhouses. however, I must warn Norwood is DEAD w/ no nightlife to speak of, and not many restaurants last I heard of. it's a straight up suburb. I'm not going to lie, I lived there for 6 months and went crazy from lack of nightlife (granted, I was around 20-21 and still in my club hopping phase) so not sure it would work for you. also, you'll have to rely pretty heavily on the commuter rail and may be stranded during off peak hours unless you own a car (or unless you take a crazy short cut to Washington St where the #36 bus runs to the Forest Hills T stop).

Newton sounds like it may work best for you. not many townhouses I think, but you may be able to afford a SFH and you can either hop on the green line or the commuter rail to get into the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston