Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times

Advertisements

Liberals can be very intolerant of those that do not support their views. Mention that you oppose abortion, support the war in Iraq, oppose gay marriage, support gun rights, etc. and brace yourself for the personal attacks....

Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 37,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have observed that in New England it is considered very inappropriate to ask someone about their religion, inappropriate to ask about their political party and never to ask about where their money comes from. We very strongly respect and protect the rights of individuals to be themselves. If this is "Liberalism" then I am a great supporter and a Liberal. In my experience, Boston, where I work, and Londonderry, where I live, are, very tolerant of the differences in people's choice of religion and politics.
A man of reason! I agree completely. There are certain things that should not be discussed in polite conversation, unless you are familiar enough with the person with whom you are speaking.

I find that people down here in Texas, and in choice other parts of the South, purposefully engage in such conversations to take a jab or to be confrontational (not to be constructive) when they find I'm from New England. It's really no different than what seamusnh criticizes Bostonians for, except New Englanders tend to be constructive. In Texas, though, if you agree with such social issues as gay marriage, which I have absolutely no problem with, you'll get your teeth knocked out - talk about a personal attack - very true!

Its always interesting to listen to people who have been to Boston or MA a couple of times or never at all engaging in what they believe the social climate of the city and Commonwealth is like - so many misconceptions.

I miss living in Boston (the real city, that is, not a university campus or the suburbs). Can't wait to get back. Counting the days!

Last edited by BruinsFan77005; 01-23-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that it's unrealistic to be a human being with opinions and also to be completely intolerant. I would say that liberals are less intolerant than conservatives. For example, being a liberal and accepting of gay marriages, why would I feel tolerant towards those who are against them? I have many gay friends, so for me, anyone against gay marriages is an enemy to my gay friends, therefore a potential enemy to me when I am supporting gay rights. Another example would be that I am an atheist. In general, I don't care what anyone else's spirituality is until it interferes or upsets my life. Ones spirituality should be a private matter, not flung in the face of others. And I don't take kindly to anyone trying to actively convert me to their religion and unfortunately Christians have a tendency to try to gather more into their flock. And I objected to GW Bush during one speech to our military announcing that "god is with us" and potentially turning our war into a jihad of christians against muslims. That sort of nonsense is what I object to and would be intolerant of.
How would the mention of "God" create a war between Christians and Muslims? God is God, not Jesus Christ..."Christians have a tendency to gather more into thier flock?"... (I've actually known a few gay guys who liked to do that too) & they're are many Catholics (who are Christians) in the Boston area....when was the last time you were cornered by a bunch of Catholics and was pressured into going to Mass?

Last edited by KarynO; 01-25-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
How would the mention of "God" create a war between Christians and Muslims? God is God, not Jesus Christ..."Christians have a tendency to gather more into thier flock?"... (I've actually known a few gay guys who liked to do that too) & they're are many Catholics (who are Christians) in the Boston area....when was the last time you were cornered by a bunch of Catholics and was pressured into going to Mass?
When Bush said it, he meant his christian god, the one he talks to personally every Sunday. And the US is predominately christian, and Iraq predominately muslim. So Bush saying that his christian god is with our military is pitting christians against muslims. And as an atheist, I feel dragged into this spirituality nonsense against my will. Bush should not have mentioned any god talk in his speeches about the war imo.

The christian missionary attitude is more prevalent in third world countries. They should just stop trying to spread their word over in those places. In the northeast part of the US, there is not so much active christians missionizing. It happens more in the Bible Belt states. My boyfriend gets pressured all the time by his immediate family members trying to get him to come back to the Catholic flock.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM

27 posts, read 69,557 times
Phrase I heard long ago when living in Kentucky:

"In the South, they hate the race, but love the individual. In the North, they love the race, but hate the individual"

I have seen this phrase come true more than once in my travels. I have had southerners use the N-word right in front of their black neighbor, and then turn and say "Oh, but you know i dont mean you Joe". I have also been witness to University-educated people pontificating about how the black/jew/muslim plight is such and such. And then I have seen these same people walk across the street while clutching their purse when a member of one of these groups comes toward them on the sidewalk.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Lots of people in Mass. voted Republican in the last election.
I don't think the OP means 'liberal' as in 'voted dem vs. repub'....

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm curious - do you feel that liberal and intolerant are two attributes that go hand-in-hand? Do you feel that it is even possible to be liberal and not be intolerant? Because if you are asking the question with that bias (some would say, with that intolerance), then you may immediately discount any replies that refute that the two - liberal and intolerant - go hand-in-hand.

I think Boston's a great town - liberal, diverse, young, religious, historic, sports-crazed ..... and tolerant.
Actually, by definition, liberal implies, well, giving lattitude...which in turn implies acceptance or tolerance. It's funny how something can become 'so yang that it's yin again'....ie, portland oregon is a great example of this=conform to non-conformity. I don't particularly see boston or MA in this same predicament, though you can find individuals who may assume a particular philosophical or political bent when starting a conversation with you. It does not feel like a naiive/simplistic city/state, however, unlike aforementioned pdx. There is a maturity to the concept of liberal in MA.
BTW, jsut want to mention that alot of that 'Kennedy Cult' of MA had more to do with catholic and irish-like a badge of honor after irish being treated so poorly in their early days [irish need not apply, for ex.],and equally exciting for italian immigrants to be able to rally behind a catholic family...than it had to do with being democrat or liberal,for example.
Having grown up in an Irish, working class family/clan, in an Italian immigrant town in MA (you wouldn't recognize it now if I told you where it was---one stop light in town with 4k in the early 70's. A virtual city now, and upwardly mobile!), I can assure you that many folks were really about as 'traditional value' and family value as you can get, but they got behind the ones who profess to wear the right costume.
MA is certainly different now, but I need to say that qualifying is useful when discussing the long 'blue state' lineage...what blue state means in MA today is very different than what it meant 50 yrs ago. The same can be said for a number of other rust belt states, as well.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
These days there's more division in a political spectrum.

For example on the issues it isn't a stretch to say that most liberals would be prochoice and most republicans pro life but there are exceptions.

There are some that might be socially liberal or conservative and economically social or conservative.

To call the entire state liberal is a bit inaccurate given how Brown got in. Most voters are actually independents. You can't win an election without getting at least some of a independent voice.

A line of thought if being left to just that is harmless. However actions upon it can speak louder than words.

We've gradually phased out much of the blue laws (alcohol sales on sunday, retailers open on sunday) a real liberal argument might have supported the day of rest.

Sometimes arguments of liberal vs conservative can look odd when one issue stands out....picture in your head Vermont...ok now google vermonts gun laws..there's hardly any. So what might seem conservative is a non issue there. On the same note Alaska has some of the largest social welfare packages of the the entire country. They pay an oil dividend to everyone there (anywhere from $800 to $2000) now no one calls this welfare or a handout but it does happen.

lastly is some might equate religion with being conservative. During the 80's we saw a rise of the religious right...well we're seeing a rise of the religious left tolerant on most issues and wants social welfare packages.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
Phrase I heard long ago when living in Kentucky:

"In the South, they hate the race, but love the individual. In the North, they love the race, but hate the individual"

I have seen this phrase come true more than once in my travels. I have had southerners use the N-word right in front of their black neighbor, and then turn and say "Oh, but you know i dont mean you Joe". I have also been witness to University-educated people pontificating about how the black/jew/muslim plight is such and such. And then I have seen these same people walk across the street while clutching their purse when a member of one of these groups comes toward them on the sidewalk.
You know what, I will actually agree with this although it is obviously not true for everybody. It is really too bad.

Except one part: Do you really think any university professors "walk across the street while clutching their purse' when they see a jewish person walking toward them?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM

557 posts, read 1,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan77005 View Post
Well, I currently live in Houston and have also lived in Dallas and Atlanta and I find Boston much more tolerant of others views than any of those cities. As a Republican, for example, most people that I have met at events coordinated by the party dismiss my views because I am not a "born again" Christian. Because society is so religiously centric down here, it has been difficult to make friends because one of the first questions asked in polite conversation is what church do you belong to? Hindus, Muslims and Jews move to the back of the line. Also, I have found that most Bostonians tend to place far less emphasis on physical looks and material things and more on intellect and character.
Having lived in TX for awhile, SE Tx, I disagree with the last part. Boston is generally more trendy and shallow, and greedy, without a doubt, than the southeast cities like Houston for ex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston