Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 53,271 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm a Kiwi and about the move to Boston with my partner. Like others, I'm looking for good advice about the Boston area, including rentals, utility costs, where to live, where not to live! I've read much already that has been very helpful.

All going well, we should be in Boston by early May, 2009. Coming from NZ we'd be looking for a furnished appartement for the first 4-6 weeks to give us time to look around for a more permanent abode.

My one visit in October '08 was wonderful and I loved the inner city, the Back Bay, Fenns and Cambridge areas.

Though I'll be working in the Back Bay area, we shan't be able to live there- Cost is a major issue and the only thing lower than the USD at the moment is the NZD (lol)!!.

I'd like to live within a 20 minute commute of the Back Bay that's reasonable, safe and green. What sort of place could we rent for around $1500USD per month and where would you locals recommend we start looking?

If there are any Kiwis in Boston where do you drink?

JOe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM

283 posts, read 989,403 times
20 minute commute to back bay..? Without living in town? THAT'S a toughie..

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
The Fenway area is within 20 minutes and is right by a beautiful park called the Back Bay Fens. Try looking in Boston.com for a $1500 apartment, it might be a hard find however.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I would also check out sublets from college students going home for the summer...

Old 01-22-2009, 06:07 PM

thanks, I'll keep looking

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Been looking in Dorcester area for rentals and wondering which neighbourhoods are the best here: any comments?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 91,890 times
No question about it - Jamaica Plain. It's on the Orange Line which will have you in Back Bay in 15 minutes or less. There are better and worse parts of Jamaica Plain, but they can easily be sussed out. Also, JP is the greenest neighborhood in Boston and has the most diverse and active community. I am happy to elaborate at great length for you - just ask. I have lived here for 16 years and I wouldn't live in any other neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bill View Post
No question about it - Jamaica Plain. It's on the Orange Line which will have you in Back Bay in 15 minutes or less. There are better and worse parts of Jamaica Plain, but they can easily be sussed out. Also, JP is the greenest neighborhood in Boston and has the most diverse and active community. I am happy to elaborate at great length for you - just ask. I have lived here for 16 years and I wouldn't live in any other neighborhood.
Would be happy to hear more: working from this distance is getting a little frustrating and everything begins to look the same!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
kia ora!

I wouldn't recommend dorchester to anyone who didn't know the area really well. It's a dicey area and there are fantastic spots, but also some not so fantastic spots as well. I'd say to look for a sublet (might be a small one) for the summer and then look into getting something afterwards. We lived in a small sublet in Back Bay over summer and moved to the North End afterwards. It was a great choice, but definitely isn't for everyone.

I'd second Jamaica Plain for yous two. It is definitely green. The arboretum is a great place to get some outdoorsy time (running, taking a walk and talking, etc.)

Where abouts from NZ are you coming from? My Mum was born and raised in Christchurch, I was born there but raised over here in the States and I have family all over (from Kaikoura to Napier, to Auckland, to Christchurch).

As for drinking, well it depends on what type of spots you like. Given that you're a kiwi, I'd recommend some pubs. There's a string of them by Government Center downtown (that's where I usually end up because it's close enough to home. I can stammer along easily with my husband. Haha). Outside of that, I'm not really sure. But, drinking in Boston is a lot like drinking in NZ as far as I'm concerned. There are, of course, a lot of places to "be seen." But, if you just want a beer and to hang out and chat with some people, there are a lot of places like that too. When I went down to the pub a couple of weeks ago, there was a person buying drinks for us because we had common interests. It was nice.

Good luck and welcome to the city once you come. It's a great place to be!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Kia ora! Leaving Auckland for Boston, but originally from Palmerston North - a city noone wants to go to and everyone rejoices to leave!

We've been looking at doing a sublet for a few months, until we get settled in, but we're not sure. Basically, given the state of the exchange rate we want to avoid having to pay securities/ agent fees charges twice on one year! The alternative is to rent a furnished appartment.

Back Bay is a great area -I agree!
Into ordinary pubs were the locals are friendly towards their "resident aliens"!! (lol). Haven't looked much at the north end yet....

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston