Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM

12 posts, read 36,620 times

Advertisements

If i stay in quincy, will it be fine to commute on regular basis to waltham, like by own vehicle or train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeman View Post
If i stay in quincy, will it be fine to commute on regular basis to waltham, like by own vehicle or train.
By train it is hard but possible if you coordinate. you can take the red line from Quincy to Porter and then the commuter train from Porter to Waltham (Brandeis/Roberts stop) but the commuter train does not run as often as the regular subway so if you miss it you have to wait a while. Leaving enough time to make sure you don't miss it means that the total commute is long.

By car you can go on Rt. 128/95. Without traffic this would be about 30 minutes but the traffic on that road in the morning is very bad so it would probably take much longer. I'd suggest looking closer to Waltham.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 32,802 times
My husbands Indian I would suggest looking into arlington specifically in arlington center. Arlington center is cute and charming and you very walkable. There is a nice apartment complex called the legacy. There is an indian restaurant and indian grocery store practically next door to the apartment complex in arlington center. You would also be close to cambridge where there is a huge indian population. I find arlington to be a better place to live than cambridge and more family friendly. There are probably buses that go to waltham from arlington but i dont know or maybe the commuter rail.

I think you should also look into the Maynard/ Acton area. Both cities are next to each other and have indian restaurants and indian grocery stores. The area is suburban with a lot of open space. The commute by car probably wouldnt be terrible.

I wouldnt suggest living in Quincy. Its far from Waltham and no direct public transport.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the details

Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM

27 posts, read 127,544 times
Given your budget, you'd have a tough time finding an apartment in Cambridge, although this is where the largest Indian-American population is. It's worth a look though. I think Waltham or Watertown would be best; Somerville is also a possibility (large Indian population, good bus lines).

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM

thanks for the details.. i saw a few apartments like windsor, ridge,etc in waltham.. the rents for 2BR aptments are like 1600+...
Currently deciding to take a place a bit far off from where i can commute in my vehicle... anything upto 20 miles wud be fine but not sure although about the traffic

Based on some of the earlier suggestions, i am also looking into options in the west like marlborough, framingham and in the south like norwood, walpole.

Any suggestions on those places like whether these places would be good for families and if any specific apartment communities i can look..

Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I'd recommend saving yourself from a commute and live close to Waltham if you can. If there is no overwhelming reason to live in Norwood, Walpole, Framingham, or Marlborough (i.e. spouse's work or nearby family) live as close to Waltham as you can afford. Like others mentioned, you can make it to Waltham on public transit or driving, but it can get very frustrating. Even getting from Cambridge to Waltham on public transportation was a pain.

I lived in Windsor Village for a year...moved right out, but I don't think apartment complexes are for me so I wouldn't give it a fair review. There was certainly a sizeable Indian presence in the complex, if that is something you're looking for. If you've got school aged children, you might also consider Lexington as the schools are considered superior to Waltham...probably will be more expensive. You should also consider Newton--there are a lot of apartment complexes near Waltham in Newton that might also serve you well and give you a very reasonable drive (or even walk) to downtown Waltham.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Thank you for the details.. I also came across burlington and found some good apartment complexes.. is it a bad commute from there as well ??

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
You'd be going with traffic, so you would expect delays during the ordinary hours, but it isn't really far from Waltham (only two towns away). Traffic tends to back up along 128 going toward the turnpike (90). It would certainly be worse than the commute from Waltham, Newton, or Lexington but better than Norwood or Walpole. Where in Waltham will you be working?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

office will be in turner street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston