Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 12,346 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood was recently wired by Verizon and I'm thinking about switching from Comcast. It looks slightly cheaper, but I'm sick of my Comcast bill charges creeping up slowly and Verizon seems slightly less evil . Does anyone have thoughts on the pros and cons of switching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Competition is your friend. Let Comcast know you are thinking of switching to Verizon and let Verizon know you are thinking of switching from Comcast. Go (or stay) with the company that gives you the best deal. I have verizon fios in my house and it works just as well as cable. If you make it clear to these companies that you are provider neutral, they'll often give you a pretty good deal.

The only real con of switching is that it will take up a day or so of your time. Don't let verizon cut the copper lines to your house if you can prevent it.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 17,724 times
I recently called Comcast and canceled my services and I placed an order with FIOS. The following day after I canceled my services with Comcast, a representative knocked on my door, saying he had the best deal out there.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 17,724 times
He said I if I switched back, he would give we the Digital Preferred Package, with all the Starz channels, the phone with all calling features and the Internet at 16Mbps, all for only 90bucks a month.
He said he would even throw a HD DVR at no charge. I didnt believe him, but I took the deal anyway. I just got my first bill, and I am not even paying 100bucks. Best of all, its good for 12months, and with NO CONTRACT. Now I am getting everyone I know who got FIOS to switch back as well.
After all its all about the savings right. Sorry FIOS, maybe next year.
- mY INterNEt is FASteR THan EVEr.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-06-2009 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: That may not apply here.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,050 times
I have direct tv and had them for 3 years. Not only do they suck but everytime you call customer service they seem to get cockey with you like they are doing you a favor. Verizon fios have not made it way to bean town and I wish that they would I thought mayor menino was trying to get verizon to come to boston. Dirct tv bils seem to keep going up and the service is lousey especially when it rains & snow the picture keeps going out .

Tired of paying high satellite bills!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
For quality alone, go with FIOS.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Verizon is anything BUT less evil:

Family, provider far apart over nearly $18,000 phone bill - The Boston Globe

That's not a fluke. They did that to me in the 1990's. $2000 local long distance bill in one month.

Verizon is THE evilest utility on the planet. Here's more:

Verizonpathetic.com - Verizon billing issues, complaints, overcharging practices and general problems with the company Verizon

Go with RCN if you can!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
I'm trying to decide this right now too. Me and the girlfriend are moving in may, and were thinking of trying out Fios instead... We'll give comcast a call and tell them about our plans, and see what type of deal they can give us. Fios's prices seem to be pretty nice, and appear to have more HD channels. Also Epix seems somewhat cool... I'll let you know what comcast says, we'll be calling in the next few days or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston