Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times

Advertisements

Those leaving Boston, or who have left Boston. Do You Have any Regrets? Where did you move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
I moved to NYC and I do regret it now. I was in Boston a number of years ago before I went back to school. I had a choice of top Boston-area schools and a number of schools elsewhere of comparable quality. I chose to go to school in New York because I felt a stronger personal fit with the school. As a result, though, all of my contacts for employment after graduating were in New York and I wound up taking a job there after graduation. I still figured I get back to Boston soon enough.

A couple of years ago I finished a one-year job in NY and moved back to Boston, hoping to get a job there. At that point I got into a relationship in Boston but ultimately, for career reasons, had to take a position in NYC. So for the past couple of years I've been shuttling back and forth virtually every weekend. My girlfriend works most weekends so she can't come to NYC that often.

I feel like NYC is too expensive and stressful to settle in permanently, and I would really like to come back to Boston immediately. But with the economy like this I'm kind of stuck until I find a remotely comparable position in Boston. I miss being full-time in Boston very much and don't really enjoy New York at all anymore. I just don't feel like NYC is my home at this point. I don't do anything there, just go to work and back to my overpriced apartment. My friends in New York mostly moved away and my entire personal life takes place in Massachusetts. If I'd known how hard it would be to return, I would not have left in the first place.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Sounds like me except I'm in Maine. I'm in Boston and the Boston area almost every weekend and the bulk of my friends and family are there, but I'm stuck here for work related issues for the short term anyway. Should be less than a year before I'm in Boston full time though.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
No, I was Born in Boston, and The Red Sox, no problem, you always root for them! Hard it was when where I now do reside, when the Rays did shine! Not a problem, Boston, was out of the race.
Boston, always will be my home, however, living here is what was needed! Both places, have alot
of good, and Tampa, has treated a Boston Red Sox Fan great, only, When the Red Sox were playing in the World Series, most did know Boston Fans
did need this win, to let go! Then as Luck did have it, another die hard series! The Rays, no not Boston, but, they do deserve, the wins!
They also were kind to die hard Red Sox fan, who, do root for them!

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-06-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,585 times
I moved to Madison, WI. No regrets so far - the cost of living is much, much cheaper. The food is better and people are nicer. My boyfriend and I are both grad students, but we will likely buy a house here this summer - something we never considered in Boston. I was worried about Madison being too small, but this hasn't been an issue. I love biking to school without fear and the bus is FREE for students. I visit Boston every few months to see my giant (Irish Catholic) family. There are a few restaurants I miss though, primarily Ten Tables, Villa Mexico, and Saigon Sandwich.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,337 times
I moved to Hawaii about 6 years ago and do miss Boston a bunch. Yeah the weather is nice out here but it is boring at times and the lack of seasons makes time almost "melt" together. All of my family is still out there and we try to visit at least once a year but it is tough and expensive. Who knows maybe we'll end up there one day. We are shooting for Seattle right now(half way between both our families and to try something different). No regrets though. We have a great life out here and appreciate every day!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
I'm in Dallas, and Dallas is pretty blah really. An huge underdeveloped sprawl of hodgepodge boxes hacked up by big fat endless highways. There's a few spots here there with character but no place to go that has any more culture that Eastie. I totally miss the pedestrian friendliness and the T. I miss the beauty and sophistication of downtown. I miss the Charles River! I miss the great parks and zillion cool things right at my doorstep. I really hate having to drive two miles just to get to my nearest cultural icon, and that would be McDonalds. And I will certainly miss the ocean.

OTOH, I don't miss the boom boom cars and the constant honking. Nor the car alarms. Nor the trash. Nor the broken glass and filth. I don't miss the stupid drivers who jeopardized my family's safety everytime they walked to school. I definitely don't miss my old neighbors blasting their music or fighting. I don't miss people urinating in public. I don't miss the homeless. I don't miss choking on car fumes on Mass Ave, but I do miss Mass Ave.

I like that it's quiet, clean and safe here. I like my son out playing with his friends. I like my patio outside my apartment although it has a gorgeous view of nothing. Tremont St was far more interesting - that is good and bad. I miss sharing walks through the city with my family to destinations. We have no destinations here, so we have no walks. That's lost quality family time. This I fear has made us more isolated from each other. I miss the T but I don't miss the lady on the bus yelling into her cell phone using a stream of expletives only interspersed by a passle of ignorance.

I definitely did NOT miss winter.

All in all, I'd say 15 years in Boston was enough - maybe too much. I loved that city and the people. And the 200 year old traditions. All that good stuff. I'll always be part of Boston as it will always be part of me. I am ok without the big city BS though. All in all I'd say Boston is way better, but much harder. Judging assets vs liabilities, I'd say Boston is better than Dallas, but Dallas is ok.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Excellent post, Bostonian

Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 39,514 times
i could have moved anywhere in the country and i chose boston--i loved boston but i dont feel it loved me back. Its been a very hard winter. Too many really rude people (lots of friendly people as well but somehow the rude ones are the ones that stick in my head) whenever i drove i was petrified i would hit someone because pedestrians and bikers would just go in front of my moving car. Crazy expensive! once we parked for 90 minutes downtown and the garage tix was $40!!! I will miss boston very much but i think it is too hard for us--

Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamidad View Post
i could have moved anywhere in the country and i chose boston--i loved boston but i dont feel it loved me back. Its been a very hard winter. Too many really rude people (lots of friendly people as well but somehow the rude ones are the ones that stick in my head) whenever i drove i was petrified i would hit someone because pedestrians and bikers would just go in front of my moving car. Crazy expensive! once we parked for 90 minutes downtown and the garage tix was $40!!! I will miss boston very much but i think it is too hard for us--
That's the BIG difference between Miami(ans) and Boston(ians). People in Miami love freely openly passionately uncautiously and wrecklessly. With Bostonians it's a long long courtship before Bostonians open up. Boston will love you back and take way better care of you than Miami ever would, but not on the first date and not on the second. Boston doesn't want a passle of hot lovers, Boston want you to marry her in one of her big cathedrals.

Boston is more proper, safer, stately, staid and boring.
Miami is more passionate, wreckless, escandalous, and fun.

Once you've mastered driving in BOS, you can drive anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston