Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,521 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at apartments in Cambridge near Inman Square (see the GoogleMaps URL below). There are two railroad tracks shown in the area. One runs roughly east/west and I've seen it labeled on the MBTA site as a commuter rail line (Fitchburg line). The other runs roughly north/south (it eventually crosses the Charles River near BU) and it is not labeled as being part of the MBTA system.

Does anybody know if this second set of tracks is active or not, possibly for cargo or something since it's not MBTA operated?

south st and medford st - Google Maps

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,701,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoflange View Post
I'm looking at apartments in Cambridge near Inman Square (see the GoogleMaps URL below). There are two railroad tracks shown in the area. One runs roughly east/west and I've seen it labeled on the MBTA site as a commuter rail line (Fitchburg line). The other runs roughly north/south (it eventually crosses the Charles River near BU) and it is not labeled as being part of the MBTA system.

Does anybody know if this second set of tracks is active or not, possibly for cargo or something since it's not MBTA operated?

south st and medford st - Google Maps

Thanks!!
Yes that second pair of tracks is active. It is operated by CSX corporation and freight trains do run on it. Occasionally the MBTA also uses it to shuttle commuter rail locomotives and coaches from the north side to the south side and vice versa. I hope this answers your question.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,521 times
Yes, thank you for the information.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:28 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,744,360 times
Those tracks aren't used all that often, but are being looked at as a potential part of the "Urban Ring" mass transit project. In ten years or so they could well be seeing a lot more activity if a conversion to light-rail occurs - which isn't likely due to what happened with the Silver Line.
Speaking of the Fitchburg commuter-rail tracks, there's little to worry about in terms of noise at present. The service isn't all that frequent, trains whoosh past, and nothing goes on during the late night and early morning hours. I once lived in a house which was right next to that line in North Cambridge, so can attest that you hardly know it's there. But here again, a transit project is in the works, this one with more promise of achieving fruition. Part of the Green Line light-rail expansion entails a spur into Union Square which would almost definitely run parallel to the commuter-rail tracks. In my time I've also resided close by the "D" and "E" lines. Particularly on the E line, the screeching and clattering of the trolleys can be nerve-wracking at times although it's great to have the convenience.
Of more concern to you should be what the South/Medford St's area is like in general. It's in the very early stages of gentrification, with brand-new apartment/condo buildings rising where once stood only warehouses and tow lots. Though it's been nicely refurbished, the Roosevelt Towers public-housing community is close by and still has a lot of the negative things associated with "da projects" tied in with it - drug deals, car thefts, unemployment, and so on. Not much fazes me after several decades of city living, but I tend to steer clear of that area at night unless I'm riding a bus. You could do better, is what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston