Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 47,135 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've lived in the Boston area for 5 years now, and am looking to make the shift over to the Cambridge/Somerville area on the red line. I found a great apartment near the Alewife T station (near the intersection of Mass Ave and Amsden St), but don't know much about the area. Is the area safe? I got mixed feeling about it when I visited. How safe is the Minuteman bikeway over there? I'm a woman in my late twenties and work frequently keeps me late. Is it safe to walk home from the Alewife T station after 10pm?

Any information you can provide about this area would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
yes.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
I think it's generally safe, but the station and parking lot get a little desolate that late. You can get off the bikeway pretty soon (like Thorndike St) and the streets of East Arlington are safe. If you're not comfortable, the 79 bus can take you though it will probably slow things down a bit. It's generally a good area but the downside is the bike path to the station. I'm a big and fit man, early 30's, so I've always found it OK, but people might be more likely to leave me alone.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
I'd not recommend walking far outside of the station area after about 8 PM or so - to the south. But East Arlington is as safe as can be. Even the bikeway should be OK to walk along, though once you're past the parking lot between the soccer fields it gets wooded and isolated. Bus service out of Alewife (Route 350 travels Mass. Ave as well as "the 79") is sporadic even during rush hours. Route 77, which runs straight down Mass. Ave all the way from Arlington Hts to Harvard Square, operates on a much more frequent schedule. You could catch a bus on that route right outside either Porter or Harvard Stations.
I had a part-time night job in East Arlington (Mass. Ave and Magnolia St) for about two years - until the business relocated - and experienced zero problems. Often when the weather's good I'll walk from a movie at the Capitol, and/or dinner in Arlington Center, all the way to Porter Square. The town "rolls up the sidewalks" by 9 PM for the most part, but you shouldn't feel a sense of foreboding due to the quietness and the lack of very many pedestrians. Cop cars are passing through there all the time, but only on routine patrol and in the hopes of nabbing speeders and red-light runners.
Thanks to a relaxation of the "blue laws," there are more dining-out options in Arlington than ever. Sub shops are still abundant, and the atrocious Tiki Inn manages to stay afloat, but they've been joined by a "new American" yuppie restaurant called Flora and a trendy pizza/salad place called Za to name but two. You'd have to go to Porter Square or beyond Arlington Center for major food shopping, but there's a Mass. Convenience (the name says it all) at the corner of Everett St and Mass. Ave. And if you like to read but hate the price of a new book, the Edith Fox branch of the town library is in the vicinity.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:58 AM

This is great information! Thank you very much!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
One other suggestion if you have any lingering concerns-when I had to go from my family's place near Arlington Center to Alewife on a daily basis for a while, I got a cheap bike (one I didn't mind riding but that I wouldn't sweat all that much if it happened to be stolen) and rode it to Alewife. My primary goal was to get to Alewife, which was almost 3 miles away, in less time than walking without but having to wait for the bus or a ride. They have a huge bike rack in the parking deck; there are a couple of hundred bikes chained up every day. I think riding a bike over there would not only be quicker, it also whisk you off the bike path faster and make you even less of a target if anyone looking for trouble is lurking around.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 PM

I took a walk around the area last night to get a feel, and overall it seemed fine. The apartment I'm looking at is a very short walk on the bike path (literally only to the soccer fields, and then I get off on my street), and that part of the bike path was really well lit. I have an old bike I plan on using for the commute, so I think it will wokr out well. The apartment was great--I think I'm going to take it!

Thanks for all the great information everyone!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Cheers!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 PM

16 posts, read 31,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious22 View Post
Hello!

I've lived in the Boston area for 5 years now, and am looking to make the shift over to the Cambridge/Somerville area on the red line. I found a great apartment near the Alewife T station (near the intersection of Mass Ave and Amsden St), but don't know much about the area. Is the area safe? I got mixed feeling about it when I visited. How safe is the Minuteman bikeway over there? I'm a woman in my late twenties and work frequently keeps me late. Is it safe to walk home from the Alewife T station after 10pm?

Any information you can provide about this area would be very much appreciated!

Hey, is the place fuse cambridge?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM

119 posts, read 147,103 times
No it is not. There are 3 huge towering projects in Alewife and two more projects developments within 1/4 of a mile. Not the best bang for your buck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston