Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,321 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a place at Fresh Pond, next to the reservoir, but I work in Braintree. I am wondering if anyone has the same commute and how is it during rush hours?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
I don't share your commute but I can tell you that it will be a pretty long one. By public transit, you will be boarding at Alewife Station and riding the entire length of the Red Line's Braintree branch right through Boston's downtown and stopping at every stop. This will definitely take over an hour since you are riding during rush hours and the train needs time to let crowds of people off and on at Park Street, Downtown Crossing, and South Stations.

Driving by car is just as bad if not worse. You will be heading up Route 16 to catch up with Interstate 93, drive right through the heart of Boston's downtown again, possibly get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic while going into the city, and finally reach the South Shore where Braintree is. Let's just hope you're not late for work every day.

This sounds miserable but you picked somewhat polar opposite locations to go to and from. There have been people who take such a commute every day, some out of necessity, but it does take a lot of time and patience. It's just something to think about.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,321 times
Urban Peasant, thank you for the analysis! I correct myself, the condo is actually where Wholefoods is located. So to go to Braintree, I would take Fresh Pond Pkwy, then Storrow and then 93. It does sound like a pain... I did that drive on Sunday night, without traffic, it was about 30mins. Not sure about rush hour, probably 50?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo008 View Post
Urban Peasant, thank you for the analysis! I correct myself, the condo is actually where Wholefoods is located. So to go to Braintree, I would take Fresh Pond Pkwy, then Storrow and then 93. It does sound like a pain... I did that drive on Sunday night, without traffic, it was about 30mins. Not sure about rush hour, probably 50?
Depends on when you go. I would not take 16 East to 93 because 16 is slow and 93 South will be packed for the stretch north of Boston. But I would also not suggest taking Storrow Drive to 93. You loop all the way around downtown Boston and that interchange by Science Park and N. Station is always a problem spot.

If you get the Fastlane and can afford the toll in Allston, at least in the morning, I'd take the Pike from the Allston exit to 93. If you go early enough there aren't many delays. In February I had to drive from Auburndale to East Boston every day for a week. I left at about 7:30 am, getting on the Pike at West Newton (Exit 16) and cruised. The Pike backups, it seems, were west of the Weston tollbooth at 128. I don't know about the SE Expwy at that hour, as it's always a bit of a pain, but the worst of the traffic would be going the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston