Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM

50 posts, read 153,045 times

Advertisements

So the rental prices are great. What is the catch? The train ride will less time to get to northeastern (without switching) than living in any cambridge areas. We don't mind living away from the city, so long as the area is very safe/quiet.

One member praises living in walking distance to the malden station (west of the station). Can some other people share some ideas?
returning to Boston next week!!!!! we are so excited
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoo View Post
So the rental prices are great. What is the catch?
The catch is that there's absolutely nothing going on up there, so it's off the radar for young people looking for nightlife and excitement. I think it's safe and quiet. Fellsway East, a few blocks west of the Malden Center T, is a very nice looking road, but the area is residential and there's not much of anything to do and they roll the sidewalks up early. If you're OK with that, there are probably some good deals. Also in Melrose, within striking distance of Oak Grove station. Melrose has a cute downtown area a bit farther north, near the Wyoming Hill commuter rail station.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:45 PM

50 posts, read 153,045 times
absolutely nothing sounds wonderful!
i want to go home to nothing but safe, peace and quiet at night.
:-) we are old 20 somethings with bedtimes.

I hope there are some great big discount grocery stores close by. i think one is stop n shop.

what does "roll the sidewalks up early" mean? close shops? become bad streets?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoo View Post
what does "roll the sidewalks up early" mean? close shops? become bad streets?
Close shops!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:21 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I lived in Malden and enjoyed it. I agree there is nothing going on there, but it is safe and quiet. The commute downtown via the orange line is decent also. I lived in Archstone apartments on Devir and Highland. We loved it.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,937 times
I live in Malden and love the commute. I don't mind driving into Boston for night life and coming home to a nice and quiet neighborhood. I love my neighbors. It's an old fashioned street where neighbors are nice to each other. I will be moving back to Quincy in a month and already not looking forward to the commute; although Quincy does have many great eats now, and the city has spent millions to renovate its beach.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,833 times
Look, be forewarned: Malden is only "sort of" safe. The area around the Center T is full of retail and safe during the day, but I would not be comfortable walking around there at night. Malden is sort of a rundown blue-collar town. The "catch" is that while you might be just fine, you might also get mugged (two of my friends have getting off the T), your car insurance will be sky-high, and you will not necessarily find other twenty-somethings around you.

People tend to defend Malden on here, but of my friends who live there, most do so only because they cannot get their investment back or break even because property values have plummeted so terribly. They want to leave, but can't. The "catch" is that it's slightly better than Lynn, or Chelsea, or Brockton, or Everett.

I wouldn't live there, although I live one town over. Maybe you'll like it just fine: but look carefully at the trash on the street, the junky cars sitting unmoving in driveways, the plethora of check-cashing and pawn shops. THEN decide if it's the town for you.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
I used to live in Malden and recall that it was neither the safest nor most dangerous place. No, it is not a place for nightlife as most residents overall have families. There are numerous restaurants, bakeries, and curio shops in the downtown though. Like all places, just be on the lookout for trouble that's all. Malden is a very diverse city with all types of people living there.

Yes, there is a huge Super Stop and Shop within walking distance of the T Station. There is another smaller Stop and Shop further east on Broadway and a Super 88 Asian market nearby too.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM

44 posts, read 111,150 times
I agree with Urban Peasant. I moved to the Boston area five years ago (from abroad) and initially lived in Malden. I had never traveled to New England before. I liked it, and I lived near the "T" stop, within walking distance of everything I would need. Plus, downtown Boston, where I worked, was a short and easy commute. Boston culture is age or 'stage-in-life' stratified in ways I don't always understand or care about, but I supposed I am/was a "young person" (aged 28/29 at the time), and I was able to meet a lot of people locally in Malden. They were of all age groups. The pub/club nightlife is great and is lively. By international standards, Boston nightlife is frankly dismal overall. Malden, however, was always lively and exciting, and the local pub turned into a dance club at the weekend. I would prefer to be in Malden on a Saturday night, compared to Boston, and that is coming from an 'international-type person'. I never felt unsafe where I lived. Maybe things have changed since the market crash, I don't know. Yes, the Stop and Shop is great, and great local shops where everyone is warm and friendly and will get to know you really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston