Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM

20 posts, read 43,592 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have family coming in from Atlanta to visit me in June and needed some ideas of where to take them in Boston. I currently live in Worcester, and there is nothing amazing about it, figured Boston would be a safe bet. It will be 2 adults and 2 boys ages 8 & 9. Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM

967 posts, read 4,784,748 times
In Boston: Arnold Arboreteum, Museum of Science, Duck Tours, Freedom Trail, Aquarium, ICA Museum, harbor tour

In Worcester: Ecotarium is fun for kids

Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM

74 posts, read 287,090 times
Castle Island! Sullies for hot dogs and ice cream, the sugar bowl for watching the boats sail and around the castle to see the planes take off from Logan. Check out the schedule and see when the castle is open.

Museum of Science
Children's Museum (my kids still liked it at 8 and 9)
Aquarium
Duck Tour
Swan Boats
Hard Rock Cafe (my kids like to go them in different cities)
Faneuil Hall
Frog Pond if it's hot

Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
All of those suggestions are good. I'd add emphasis on the Swan Boats ( Swan Boats of Boston ) and the Duck Tours ( Boston Duck Tours - The Official Website & Online Tickets ). If the kids have been to Atlanta's Aquarium, they've experienced one of the best in the nation and may be a bit let down by Boston's. The Museum of Science ( Museum of Science, Boston | Home ) is very interesting and so is the Children's Museum ( Welcome to Boston Children's Museum ).

I'll add a couple more:
The Skywalk Observatory atop Prudential Center: Skywalk Observatory - The Shops at Prudential Center . It's on the 51st floor of the tower which sits in the middle of a major urban mall so shopping will be good. There's also an observation deck on top of the Custom House Tower that's a bit less traveled: Marriott's Custom House: For a memorable vacation in Boston

A Red Sox Game could be a heck of an experience. The Official Site of The Boston Red Sox | redsox.com: Homepage . If you can't get tickets or find that they're too expensive, you can still do a Ball Park Tour which is really cool: Fenway Park Tours | redsox.com: Ballpark

I would also go walk around Harvard Square and Harvard University. While you're there, you may want to check out Harvard's Museum of Natural History ( Home*-*Harvard Museum of Natural History ). The area is cool, you could easily do lunch and spend an afternoon here.

Take them to the North End and walk around. When you get tired, take a break in Christopher Columbus Park. When you get hungry, grab lunch at one of the little cafes. If the kids have a sweet tooth get some gelato at a local shop or maybe a Cannoli from one of the many bakeries. While you're in the neighborhood, check out Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. It's cool for all ages.

The Mary Baker Eddy Museum ( The Mary Baker Eddy Library ) may be a bit too grown up for the young guys, but it's VERY interesting. I love the "Mapparium"

Finally, I'd suggest checking out the Museum of Fine Arts ( Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: Home ). I know, I know... 8 and 9 year olds get bored out of their minds looking at art. However, the MFA has a LOT that goes well beyond art that will be fascinating to people of all ages. There are real mummies and actual artifacts from many old cultures that are fascinating regardless of age. I would suggest looking into it.

Some of the best things in Boston are free. I would highly recommend just walking around with everyone and doing a self guided tour. You could visit the Arboretum ( Arnold Arboretum - Visitors ) which is beautiful. I recommend following the Freedom Trail loosely ( The Freedom Trail Foundation and City of Boston - Freedom Trail ) and turning off the path and stopping at whatever interests you. This will bring you through the North End, Faneuil Hall, the Boston Common (which is worth spending a nice afternoon in), Beacon Hill (absolutely gorgeous) etc. If you choose to go all the way, you can head over to the Bunker Hill Monument ( City of Boston - Bunker Hill Monument ) or Old Iron Sides, aka the U.S.S. Constitution ( Official Web site of USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" ). Boston is constantly rated the most walkable city in the U.S. and walking is the best way to see it.... I would definitely suggest walking and seeing the city as you go. I think your family from Atlanta will appreciate it most this way.

*Edit* I forgot to add: Whale Watching. There are a bunch of different ways to do this. If you're closest to Boston, Boston Harbor Cruises offers a whale watch out of Rowe's Wharf ( http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/boston-whale-watch/ ). If you're on the North Shore, you can catch a boat out of Gloucester: http://www.7seas-whalewatch.com/ . If you're on the South Shore, you can catch a whale watch boat out of Plymouth: http://www.captjohn.com/ . There's also Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower for attractions in Plymouth.

Finally, The BEST way to do a whale watch in New England is to go to Provincetown ( http://www.provincetown.com/ ) on the Cape. I know P-Town is quite a hike, but it ends up being worth it. First, all whale boats (from Gloucester, Boston, Plymouth, P-Town, etc) go to the same spot on the ocean (Stellwagon Bank). It's literally right around the corner from P-Town which is located on the tip of Cape Cod so the boat ride to see whales is FAR shorter than out of any other port... in fact, you can often times see the shore of P-Town while Whale Watching. This alone makes it worth the extra drive (more time whale watching, less time getting to the area to see whales). The Dolphin Fleet is the best group in the business ( http://www.whalewatch.com/dolphinfleet/ ). The other great thing about driving to P-Town is being in P-Town. Shopping and Dining are wonderful in P-Town and so are the beaches. If you do a morning whale watch, you can spend the afternoon on the beaches and evening shopping. I'd also visit and climb the Pilgrim Monument (aka P-Town Tower): http://www.pilgrim-monument.org/t3/index.php (broken link) . This is worth a day and it'll be a wonderful way to show the family what quintessential New England is.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-28-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
Well everybody covered everything in BOS so which to choose? If you took the whole Irfox tour, we'll they'd have to stay for a busy month. (You missed the Charles River Embankment IR.)

Atlantica suggested my second favorite family spot - Castle Island.

However, for a day trip or two, the headline event truly is downtown and the Freedom Trail. Here's my plan. Take the Green Line to Arlington St Station. walk through the Public Garden on to Boston Common. Kids play at the Frog Pond tot lot for a while. Then follow the Freedom Trail. Make sure to view the Old Granary Burying ground to see visit the oldest Bostonians - some born in the 1500's. That yard is a different world. Walk down Tremont to City Hall and take the stairs down to Quincy Market for lunch. After Quincy on to Columbus Park to enjoy the waterfront and the kids get another tot lot. After that follow the Rose Kennedy Greenway to The North End. See Paul revere's house and all the other cool things. Eat at an Italian Restaurant or just get some pastries from Mike's. After exploring the North End if they're not too tired, walk down the Greenway to Chinatown. That's a very full day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston