Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,174 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm moving back East from Colorado (far cry from the city life of Boston) for the summer and need some advice on housing for the summer as I'll be doing an internship in the longwood medical area.

I'm looking for advice as to where I should exactly be looking? Back Bay, Fenway, Mission Hill, Allston, and Jamaica Plains all come to my mind (I used to live in Boston for a year back in 2000 when I went to school at Suffolk). Only thing is, is that I know how one place that looks really close on a map, can end up being a 30 min commute due to the fact public transportation might take you 10 minutes just to get to.

So I'll be doing an internship at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Longwood and need advice as to what area's/streets to look into if I plan on making my commute around 15-20min MAX. Also I'll be moving out with my gf and we're planning on splitting a room (so $1100 total [utilities and all] is what we're looking for).

There's thousands of places listed on criags list, but unforntunately I can't make a move out there to see them because I don't graduate until mid-may. So this is basically a shot in the dark for me hoping that I can trust what the subletter says. Any info will help, thanks!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Try Brookline near the Longwood area--you can easily walk to Joslin from many parts of N. Brookline. Mission Hill and Fenway are also within walking distance. And it sounds like that's what you want. It can take longer to drive than walk around that area during rush hour.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Brookline anywhere along the D line of the Green Line T, or within walking distance of the Joslin Center, is what you want. Brookline Village and Longwood (Brookline) are the closest, but Brookline Hills (more suburban and quiet), Beaconsfield (near Wash. Sq.) and Cleveland Circle (encompasing Brookline and Brighton) work as well. The area in NE Brookline near BU is under a mile's walk, so that would be under 20 mins on a pleasant day, and you can take the B or C to Kenmore and the D back out to Longwood pretty quickly if you really don't want to deal with the walk in the rain or something.

Clevedark is right-Mission Hill is another possibility, as is the Fenway area. You can walk easily from both. Allston and JP are somewhat less directly accessible by transit and a bit beyond easy walking range. The Back Bay is not a terrible commute but expensive. You might find a summer sublet for 2 people in your range though. There are students there who skip town for the summer.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
You're going to have a really hard time fitting all those qualifications. Utilities in my really really efficient brand new condo were average $100 per month. An older place with a less efficient boiler/heater/insulation ... well more. So minus $150 that leaves you with 950 which is the price of a studio. Only really option anywhere in that neighborhood is to room with somebody, but I don't know what your chances are of finding someone who is looking for two roommates. But what do I know, try it. Studios around there cost about $950. You could have a nice studio for that price if you and your lady are willing to live that modestly. I'd get a fold out futon or sofa. I lived like that for a long time in a studio, but as a bachelor. Had a lady guest now and then but had to get a one bedroom when she moved in.

Good luck though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston