U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,403 times

Advertisements

Dorchester is fast becoming the expansion of a gentrification project and though there are some pockets of concern in the neighborhoods of Dorchester there are signs of structured and planned change intended to attract a more savored community of people. Five to ten years will witness the difference as things are fast changing. With the current investment trends, attempts are currently being made to make the Dorchester community an inviting and attractive neighborhood. Those who label Dorchester as primarily violent and uninhabitable, are shortsighted and do fail to see the larger community and the direction that Dorchester is heading. The city of Boston is moving south and Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan house some of Boston’s most prominent institutions as well as evidence of recent developments that give insight into the changed that is being orchestrated. Dorchester is one of Boston’s most diverse community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
miu

17,639 posts, read 37,685,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
Dorchester is fast becoming the expansion of a gentrification project and though there are some pockets of concern in the neighborhoods of Dorchester there are signs of structured and planned change intended to attract a more savored community of people. Five to ten years will witness the difference as things are fast changing. With the current investment trends, attempts are currently being made to make the Dorchester community an inviting and attractive neighborhood. Those who label Dorchester as primarily violent and uninhabitable, are shortsighted and do fail to see the larger community and the direction that Dorchester is heading. The city of Boston is moving south and Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan house some of Boston’s most prominent institutions as well as evidence of recent developments that give insight into the changed that is being orchestrated. Dorchester is one of Boston’s most diverse community.
Wait... so are you for or against the gentrification of Dorchester? Historically, as a neighborhood becomes gentrified, it becomes more expensive to live in... which causes the original diverse residents to be priced out of being able to stay in their neighborhood. Even if the gentrified neighborhood keeps its racial and cultural diversity, it's from new people moving in that have a better education and from a higher income level.

There are always pros and cons to a neighborhood becoming gentrified.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
I was born and raised in Dorchester. In the Ashmont area. As far as crime in Dorchester goes, it's pretty simple. Dorchester ave is the line. All of the neighborhoods east of the avenue are pretty safe. Anything west of it is pretty bad, don't go there if your not from there.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
I moved out of Dorchester Mass 30 years ago I am so home sick, I remember I went to school during the bus and racial riot's these Boston School's are temples compared to back then, And for any Dot Rats out there Does anyone remember that old Saint Margret's Parish there was a Priest with a deep Cleft in his chin there with the coolest Black Smokey & The Bandit TRAN'S AM he use to wear a Snoopy Vestment on Sunday Morning Mass everyone thought he was so cool but he was really mean to us kid's behind close doors I would love to exchange old stories with and old Dot Rat,lol. Wow what memories,lol?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,313 times
Smile Dorchester areas

I grew up off of Templeton and Adams Street in 1950s and felt safe at that time. However, since that time crime increased due to overpopulation. Mom grew up in Savin Hill and it is still safe I believe. The Kennedy Library is there now along with yacht club so can't be too bad. I lived on small street (Dawson) which I loved and remember as being mostly Irish Roman Catholic area. Everyone went to Church. Most residents were policemen or firemen. Blue collar neighborhood. Could walk to Mary Hemingway School or to library on Adams St. without worry back then. Wish I hadn't left. Living in FL is more dangerous than Dorchester.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 12,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTRAT1980 View Post
I moved out of Dorchester Mass 30 years ago I am so home sick, I remember I went to school during the bus and racial riot's these Boston School's are temples compared to back then, And for any Dot Rats out there Does anyone remember that old Saint Margret's Parish there was a Priest with a deep Cleft in his chin there with the coolest Black Smokey & The Bandit TRAN'S AM he use to wear a Snoopy Vestment on Sunday Morning Mass everyone thought he was so cool but he was really mean to us kid's behind close doors I would love to exchange old stories with and old Dot Rat,lol. Wow what memories,lol?
I remember St. Margarets where my ceousins married and Dorchester being to me a safety zone if you knew where to go. We weren't afraid to walk two miles to Church or to market back then. Mother attended what is now Boston Latin School and dad grew up in Southie. Mom lived in Savin Hill until marrying and then moved with her parents as dad was in WWII to Dawson St. where there were red brick homes connected. Neighbors were friendly and blue collar. Wish I could go back also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston