Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:34 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times

Advertisements

You should definitely check out Malden. It is moderately priced with a relatively decent size Jewish population. The population of Malden is also extremely diverse, over 30% are foreign born, I believe. It is a working class neighborhood right on the orange line. It is a nice mix of urban and suburban. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:06 AM

25 posts, read 123,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie1 View Post
Good Afternoon -
There is a strong likelihood that I will be needing to move my family to the Boston area due to a work relocation. We are a jewish family and like to live in communities with diversity, which would include a strong jewish population. I will probably be working in downtown Boston, but don't mind a commute. Any recommendations for moderately priced suburbs?

I appreciate all of your assistance!
Thanks for all of the responses. In response to several, my definition of moderately priced in 350 - 450k for a single family home.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 123,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslteacher View Post
What sort of Jewish community are you looking for? For example how religious of a community. If you are very observant I would suggest Newton or Brookline, though they are not moderately priced.
Thanks... Good question. Not overly observant. We actually attend a reform congregation.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,418 times
hi, just checked out some homes that are in your target range (in Marblehead). you may not get too much for the money but it is a great town to live in... if you don't mind the commute. the prices have come down in Marblehead and some very reasonable properties for sale in your price range.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 104,840 times
Default There's jewish, and then there's JEWISH

I'm not sure why I am trying to sell Newton and Brookline. I'm not even Jewish. But I've lived in both places. If it is important to you, consider the following:

-Newton is 40% Jewish
-Brookine is 50% Jewish
-They are next to each other (and Boston), and combine to account for 60,000 Jewish people.
-There are dozens of Temples of different kinds (try Temple Israel on the Brookline/Boston border for a big reformed one), schools, kosher restaurants, bakeries and stores.
-Newton is suburban with several small villages.
-Brookline is more diverse, with a mix of semi-urban and suburban.

That being said, there are no houses in Brookline below 450K and only a few in Newton (and none in Newton Centre). For that price your options would be:

1) Duplex or apartment/brownstone-style condo in Brookline
2) Duplex or apartment-style condo in Newton
3) Single family in Newton, but in less Jewish area.

Check out realtor.com for more housing info.

Other areas might suit your needs better and most would be less expensive. But none would be more Jewish or closer to Boston.

Good Luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 PM

80 posts, read 477,514 times
Belmont may be an option, very nice town, borders Cambridge, Beth El Temple synagogue is located there. Short bus ride to Harvard Square T station or short Commuter Rail trip to North Station.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM

37 posts, read 167,274 times
Default Medford Is Best Place To Live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have not heard much about Medford: All new schools, very close to the city, small town feel, have the red line and commuter rail as well. (and we have heard the green line is coming our way soon). I know there are several temples in the area. Safe place for families and I cannot say enough about the Medford Family Network (a program for Medford families that sponsors innumerable amounts of activities for adults and kids)

Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Swampscott is less expensive than Marblehead. The public schools close during Jeiwsh holidays. It has a commuter rail to Boston.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 55,459 times
Default How about Framingham MA? Natick?

Try Framingham - the Jewish Community Center is located in downtown and right now on my street alone we have homes priced from $380,000.(1940's and older ones too) Framingham has a train station that goes to South Station and the schools and activities are many. Also, Natick offers a community that addresses the needs of being Jewish - home prices a bit higher, but on the train line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston