U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,929 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm thinking about relocating from Chicago to Boston. I currently live IN Chicago, in a 750 sq ft one bedroom, heat included, for $835. From what I've seen online, this would probably be hard to come by IN Boston.

Are there any suggestions on decent places in the city to live? I'm not opposed to living outside of Boston but really love my urban environment and do not want to live in "suburbia." Any sugggestions??

I'm single, 29, female... Is it possible to get even a studio IN Boston proper for less than $800?? I never realized the cost of living was so much higher!

any thoughts suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Beantownbound
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 AM

639 posts, read 3,329,727 times
Default Here's a few good sites

This site is really good, it'll give you rentals all over the city of Boston, from the lowest to the highest. There aren't any as low as your getting in Chicago. You're lucky that's all you're paying! There's a 3 room 500 sq. ft. apartment in Charlestown, which is a neighborhood of Boston for $925 a month. Go in to this site to check them out, www.rooney-re.com, this particular one is MLS#70513802.

There's a really cute one in South Boston for $1,000 a month, but it's only got 2 rooms, that's the thing, you probably could do better for less a month from what I'm seeing! MLS70449215.

Another one in East Boston that looks decent for $900 a month with 4 rooms 895 sq. ft. MLS#70541731

Just go through this site randomly every couple of days because new ones get added some times, it's Rooney-RE and you'll see them all throughout the City of Boston.

As far as the outskirts of Boston, I saw one in Quincy, MA., which isn't far from downtown Boston at all, just south of the City and this one I saw online isn't bad at all. It's $850 a month, a 1B, 1B, 1st floor apartment, close to public transportation (the "T") & shopping nearby. MLS #70543713, it was on the site realtor.com under rentals.

North of Boston, in Everett, MA. which is right next to the neighborhood of Charlestown with public transportation access nearby as well as shopping all near by is a 1B, 1B apartment, this one even has a community pool for $900 a month, it's MLS # 70516507.

Another one I saw in Everett, MA and it's a 2B 1B for $800 a month. MLS#70497561.

The Quincy & Everett apartments would be right near the MBTA (the "T") subway & buses. They're only a few minutes from downtown Boston. These few were found on realtor.com's rental site.

Good luck. If you do your homework you'll find something decent. I think the one in Quincy looks like the best one myself, but it's up to you in the end. If you can stand to be in a little tiny place in Boston's Southie or Charlestown then go for one of them. Either end of the city would be ideal for you to get right in to downtown Boston, if that's where your employer is located and Boston is where you really want to live, then go for it, the world is your oyster, go for that pearl!

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:04 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,042,372 times
Probably not. At least not in a good neighborhood. Rentals are expensive in Boston, especially in the city. I would check out Alston/Brighton, Somerville, maybe the Fenway area. Check www.craigslist.com and www.boston.com.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 AM

702 posts, read 2,867,599 times
You should check out Malden also, not quite as urban as Boston, but very diverse and relatively affordable. Malden is also on the orange line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston