Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,241 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Charlestown for almost a year now. Where I'm currently living is way overpriced given what is in the surrounding area. I'm basically looking for something within walking distance of the T under $1600/month. I don't have much of a clue about neighborhoods. I don't have too much of a preference; just some place you don't feel uncomfortable walking alone at night I guess.

Been looking for 2-3 weeks now online and have found a few decent possibilities.

Appreciate any info.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-03-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: edited out realtor site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Thought I'd add that I currently get off the T at Arlington on the green or Back Bay on the orange depending on the day.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
I need a little more info. Is that $1600 for a one bedroom? Also, what are you looking for in a surrounding area? More greenery and open space or more of a city vibe with stores and restaurants? How important is the actual apartment to you? Do you mind a smaller apartment and/or a updated one? $1600 goes further in Charlestown but you can find a pretty decent one bedroom or a really nice studio in Back Bay and Beacon Hill and be walking distance to all the amenities in those areas.

The areas around Coolidge Corner and Washington Sq. on the Green Line's C train in Brookline might fit your needs as well if you're looking for a neighborhood with activity. Although, overnight street parking is very limited so you'd have to rent a spot if you have a car.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 AM

1 bedroom or studio. I'm not too fussy about that. It would be nice to have some stores within walking distance like a grocery store for instance; not necessarily a Shaws/Stop & Shop, could be a mom & pops kind of place. Parking isn't an issue. I didn't really want to have a vehicle living in the Boston area.

Thanks for the input shiver, I'll definitely look into those areas online today.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM

If you're not too picky about the apartment and have around a $1600 budget, I'd look at the Back Bay. It sounds like you're either fairly new to the area or, at least, haven't lived within the immediate Boston area before this past year. It might be fun for you to live in the center of it all.

Back Bay would put you in a really nice area, an easy walk to work and close to all the shopping, nightlife, restaurants, etc. of Newbury, Boylston, the Pru/Copley.

It's an expensive area since you're paying for location. I would probably go with a studio in the $1200-$1500 range. But that's just me since I'd rather have a nice studio than a dumpier one bedroom.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I would second the recommendation of Back Bay and add Beacon Hill as well as Harvard Square in Cambridge. The kicker here is space. While you will be able to find a place within your budget in these neighborhoods (particularly Beacon Hill and Back Bay), it'll likely be smaller. For me, that's fine as I'd take a small apartment in a great neighborhood to a big apartment in a mediocre one.

If you want a larger apartment but still a good location, you can do that too. Places like Davis Square in Somerville, Porter Square in Cambridge, Coolidge Corner, Washington Square, Cleveland Circle, Brookline Village, etc. will offer you walkability, access to transit, and more apartment for the money.

The only thing I'd add is that the Green Line (particularly the B and E) can REALLY suck for longer distances. I'm new in Mission Hill and ride the E on an almost daily basis and it's slow and there's a lot of time between trains. A place like Porter or Davis on the Red (transfer at Park to get the Green) may make for an easier commute for you. It's not a horrible experience, but it can be maddening at times. I'm glad I've got room mates who are familiar with the bus routes (which while I'm familiar with Boston having grown up in Eastern MA, I've never used the bus before living here) otherwise I'd get really annoyed with the E.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM

I definitely appreciate all of the help. With the help of the posts above and some friends I think I've narrowed things down to: Cambridge/Somerville area (Red line Charles/MGH to Alewife) or something in Back Bay/Beacon Hill/Brookline areas (Green line D out to Resevoir or Green line C out to Cleveland Circle).

Anyone know of some good places to look? I've found 1 or 2 realtors who seem to be pretty good so far and am looking on craigslist.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM

For Brookline, try Metro Realty Corp located on Babcock St. in Coolidge Corner or the Chobee Hoy agency in Brookline Village. I had good experiences with both companies. My friend recently moved to Cambridge and used a realtor from Eplace. But, be aware that often times the person renting is responsible for the fee (one month's rent). It all depends on whether the landlord is willing to fully or partially pay the realtor instead of you footing the entire fee.

For what it's worth, I always found my apartments through Craigslist.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
portersq, quincy or southboston.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 AM

140 posts, read 322,859 times
ravensgc_5, I hope you can help me. I am moving to Charlestown in a few weeks but we are debating whether to keep one or two cars. My wife will definitely need one but I'm not so sure about me, I have to commute to East Cambridge but apparently public transportation kinda sux off Charlestown. What's you advice, should I keep the car? Is there a shuttle perhaps we don't know off? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston