Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 224,191 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what are the best private schools in the Boston and Cambridge. I just moved to Boston 2 weeks ago, and since I missed registration periods, what's available for public schools in my zone is downright scary.

I have an advanced, extremely intelligent child going into Kindergarten (K2). Will also take parochial school suggestions. Anything where the academic standards are high and not too pricey.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

720 posts, read 995,322 times
In Cambridge there is Buckingham, Brown and Nichols (or BBN as it is called) and in Brookline/Newton there is the Brimmer and May School. Also in Brookline there is the Park School as well as the Dexter School. All expensive. All good.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I am researching these and they l;ook good but full and on waiting lists too.

Less well known but equally high quality schools are probably more likely at this point to have an opening.

Anyone else have suggestions? Does anyone know anything about the Childrens School on Whittier near Charles River Park?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM

123 posts, read 473,786 times
Check out the British School of Boston... they allow open enrollment and challenge the kids a fair bit more than even the fanciest public schools (at the lower elementary level at least). It follows the UK national curriculum, which may be a good fit for an American kid considered to be precocious.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 PM

123 posts, read 473,786 times
Also, in case you are Jewish, there are some good Jewish schools (Rashi and Maimonides) you can check out. Can't help you with Christian parochial schools, although I know some are quite good. A muslim friend of mine living in Cambridge went that route for his daughter, and was very pleased.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
I agree with Xeno.. British school is probably your best bet at this time..

BBN is harder to get in than Harvard. I think they take less than 5% of applicant.. with siblings going in first... true acceptance may be down to 2%.

Btw... if it is good... they are full!!! However, I would still suggest putting the name on the wait list just in case kids move out of the area some time in January.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:00 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
I know some parochial schools with really good reputations. There's St. John's located at 9 Moon Street in Boston (the North End):

St. John School

Then this one is a Nursery School that has kindergarden, it's always had a really good reputation too, it's the Beacon Hill Nursery School located at 74 Joy Street in Boston:

Beacon Hill Nursery School; preschool, kindergarten; Boston

In Brookline St Mary of the Assumption has pre-K to 8th grade, it's another really good one:

St. Mary of the Assumption School

Remember this school when 5th grade arrives, it's a keeper! It's the Newton Country Day School of the Sacred Heart. It's unbelievable, what a school that is:

Welcome to Newton Country Day School

In Malden the Immaculate Conception Elementary School is pre-K to 8 and a keeper, so that could be on your list to call too.

Good luck and hope you find just the right school, you know there's actually a lot of extremely good ones around the Boston area, you'll end up lucking out in the end, it'll be worth it in the long run!

Keep checking back, I'm sure there will be other suggestions and ideas for you.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-28-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
There is St. Gregory's down in Lower Mills of Dorchester (a safe and pleasant part of Dorchester, don't worry). It also runs up to the 8th grade.

Keep Milton Academy, Noble and Greenough, and the Belmont Hill School in mind for later on when your child is old enough to attend high school.

I understand that good public elementary schools are few and far in between in Boston but you might want to try applying for the METCO program which buses city kids to good suburban schools. It is very competitive but might be a good alternative.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
I went here for 3rd grade & it was great! The best schoold I've ever attended. Cambridge Friends School

I'm 36 now, and I remember 3rd grade more clearly than 4th or 5th.

I have to say, I don't remember it being Quaker (or particularly religious) at ALL!

(I just looked at their tuition and HOLY CRAP it's expensive! No WONDER I only went there one year!)

Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Thank you CityGirl52 for those wonderful suggestions and links. Very helpful. Urban Peasant I was actually looking at St Gregory's when I saw your post as I'd been referred by a parent. It looks great. I am definitely less stressed out now that I have a few more options to choose from. Please keep the great suggestions coming and thank to everyone who's contributed so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston