Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 40,789 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Allston-Brighton border on Sept. 1 & 2 -- (yes, I know, this isn't the most awesome thing ever, but I'm coming from out of state and had not too many options in my price range) -- and I have one huge question: parking?

I'm going to stay with my cat in a hotel outside town for the first couple days to avoid crazy complications with getting keys, getting him settled, etc. But I will still need to take the normal-sized rental car over to the apartment to check stuff out, clean possibly, get things settled...and by noon on Sept. 2, drop off the kitty and some Ikea purchases.

Where can I park? I can't get a sticker because it's a rental car, and I'm moving from Florida, and I don't need to rent a whole month for a car that's not even mine. Thoughts? Ideas? Do I just pull in wherever I can, put the emergency lights on and hope I don't get ticketed or harassed as I try to haul things upstairs? (Did I mention my roommate may or may not be available to help with any of this, and I know no one else in town?)

Any help is appreciated. Alternatively, if you are kind-hearted, have a parking space that won't be used during specific times on Sept 1 and/or 2, and live near the corner of Ridgemont and Gordon...please message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:17 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
In my experience, the traffic cops tend to cut people some slack the first day or two of Sept. Although I wouldn't leave your car parked illegally for hours on end. Everyone and their mother, brother, etc. will be double parked or otherwise parked illegally. Your biggest concern probably won't be getting hassled or ticketed, but fighting all the moving trucks and other cars trying to get a space in front of or near your building. I wouldn't double park and go inside for an hour+ because that's rude to the people you're blocking. However, you should be fine if you're constantly walking in and out of the building since people will see you and can ask you to move if need be. Or you can stick a note on their windshield with your cell number.

People will literally be moving in day and through the middle of the night. You may have some better luck coming at night. Also, as a warning, traffic will be a nightmare. But, you'll be living near a favorite bar of mine - Deep Ellum on Cambridge St. Go grab a drink to celebrate once you're in. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely bring some post-its for leaving my number on windshields. I read somewhere else that leaving my hazard lights on for quick drop-offs will probably work, too...Luckily, my street is pretty residential. I'm hoping that'll translate to less congestion on move-in day.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,413,879 times
Boston University | Fitness and Recreation Center | Membership | Services | Parking (http://www.bu.edu/fitrec/membership/services/parking.html - broken link)
Boston University has a parking lot at Agganis Arena --in the garage
behind the arena for $1.00/hr with an $8.00 maximum on non event days so if there's no concert or game you should be fine until 11pm
7am-11pm

You could then walk or catch the "T" to Allston-Brighton

You might want to stop in at Riverside "T" Station on yoru way up and ask one of the agents for a "Charlie Card" Charlie card is a way you can store money say $30 at a time or whatever amount you want on your card and reuse the card that way you dont have to wait in lines and such
-------------------

Another option would be to Park at one one of the satellite "T" lots such as Riverside---(Green lIne), Sullivan Square (Orange Line), Oak Grove (Orange Line), or Braintree - Red Line...or Alewife (Red line)(off route 2 East) and take the "T" in from there.

-----------------------

You can also park for free on Broadway or One of the side streets off Mass Ave in Arlington (accessible from Route 2) . -
then take the Bus in to Davis Square ) about 20 min..and catch the Red Line-
If you park on broadway you can get the 87 bus but if you're coming back later than 7pm you probably want to park closer to Clarendon hill towers on the arlington-somerville line - (that side of Broadway) so you will have a shorter walk back. If you park on one of the side streets off arlington heights in Mass Ave or along the one way streets near the Capitol theater on Mass Ave you can catch the77 to Porter Square and get the red line there also about 20 min.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Do...Bus/077map.pdf

Check the MBTA.COM website for the schedules for weekends...
tho typically the 77 bus and 87 run fairly late

the key is the parking would be free all day-night and you could come back even up till abotu 1am. - I think 1am is the last bus on some of those.
though the subway shuts off by 12:30 usually. (last train each way)

I would try to head back to wherever you pahhk dah cahhh - by 11-11:30 if possible each night

Boston common garage might be a good fit as well
Welcome To MCCA
if you enter after 4pm and exit before 8AM
its only $11 keep in mind the subway shuts down overnight though
but I think it starts up again around 5:30 am so you could leave your car overnight and get the "T" the next morning

Pay just $11 when you enter the Garage after 4 PM and exit before 8 AM.

normally there's a $27 maximum if you enter earlier than 4pm and leave your car all day

Govt Center garage is pretty good too
$34 if you enter before 5pm-
and stay all day
(maximum)

if you enter after 5pm and leave before 5am
its only $10
this garage would be better if you're going to the North End of Faniuel hall or downtown for the evening....-

leaving before 5am , you wouldn't be able to get the subway from Allston to get the cahh

so if you have anything to do in the city in the evening you might want to check that out

keep in mind when there's garden events ..its $20
regardless

Faneuil Hall Parking and Boston Financial District Parking – GovernmentCenterGarage.com

---------------------

Another option might be to remember that most meters in the Boston-Somerville-Cambridge-Brookline areas . and other towns shut off at 6pm, as do many of the 2 hr parking signs---or 1 hr signs . Check the signs and make sure the no parking spaces expire--after 6pm - and you can park there.
also make sure no signs say residents only and/or - no overnight pahhkin'

A good spot to park usually is around Lechemere train station (Green Line). You can take either a C train to Park St.. and/or Kenmore Square and or get a "E' train to Park st. and Copley Square (before it branches off at Copley)...down huntington ave.
if you had to get the B train you could get off at Copley and wait for the next B train to Allston-Brighton
it can save you time
or get off at Pahhk St and wait

the meters at Lechemere near the Courthouse and the Cambridge Galleria shut down at 6pm so you can usually come around 4pm or 5pm and pay a dollar or two for the meter and then you're good to go for the rest of the evening till the train shuts down - I'd allow at least 40 min on the train from Allston-Brighton (Green Line) Just in case...- to get to Lechemere..-
you may have to take the train back to Park St get off and wait for a lechemere train and/or government center , or North Station and wait for lechemere tain depending on which train you get back.
Sometimes if you're lucky it may only take 30 min but I always allow extra time for delays

You could also park in one of the outlying suburbs and take the commuter rail in if you didn't want to drive all the way into the city.
Just keep in mind the parking lots
-----------------------------

The 75 state street garage might work as well
if you enter after 5pm and leave before 5am its only $14
$34 otherwise all day

75 State Street Parking Garage

All day Sat Sun rates - $14 (that might work for ya)
All Day Saturdays - All Day Sundays 5am-5am...$14.00

Aside from this you might try craigslist
and look under craigslit - under the boston parking section and type in Allston in the search box or Brighton
they have monthly rates for parking space.
you could probably email the person with the space and ask if they'd maybe discount a daily rate for you for a couple days
to rent the space for a couple days

boston parking & storage classifieds - craigslist

Above all remember at least you dont have to pay $300 grand for a pahhkin' space
$300,000 price sets record - for parking - The Boston Globe

There's also the Woodland Garage with 548 spaces on washington St. in Newton --$6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland_(MBTA_station)

-----------------------

There's a garage near tremont st. with Pilgrim parking a short walk to copley place/back bay T stations etc.
(orange line)
(or you could walk through the copley place mall to the green line)

Pilgrim Parking (http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facilities/atelier/index.php - broken link)
It has a $13 flat rate on Sundays

other times it has a 10-24 hour rate of $24

there's an early bird special
inby 9:30 am - out by 6pm
for $12

----------------------------------

Just across the fort point channel from the boston waterfront - in south boston is fan pier
(a walk to South Station) (or you can get the silver line to South Station)

Pilgrim Parking (http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facilities/fan_pier/index.php - broken link)

$12 (enter after 5 a.m., exit before midnight)

$24 up to 24 hrs
-----------------------------------------------------

When there's no games- the landsowne street garage might be an option as well
in by 6pm - garage closes at 2:30am
Pilgrim Parking (http://www.pilgrimparking.com/facilities/lansdowne/index.php - broken link)
$10
Right behind Fenway park (convenient to the Kenmore "T" stop)
-----------------------------------------

Hope these tips help

Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,413,879 times
One other thing. You dont really need a car in Boston . If you don't plan on going outside the city much
you can pretty much either walk or take the "T" anywhere

if you do need a car you could rent a zipcar for the day for day-weekend trips
Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,483,749 times
I suggest... travel light... just bring ONE bag and a laptop!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks so much for the tips! There's such a plethora of info on the MBTA and other sites that it's really tough to wade through and find affordable lots...I'm thinking a combination of parking lots, bus/train, hazard lights and night parking will get me through those first couple days of move-in hell.

The rental car I'll be using is a zipcar, actually. I'm selling my car before I leave Florida , flying up and picking up a T pass asap...No way I want to deal with parking madness every day, especially when I've never driven in snow.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston