U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,876 times

Advertisements

Hi - my husband (+ 9-month-old baby) are moving to the Boston area in August. My husband will be teaching at the Conservatory Lab Charter School in Brighton (exit 17 off the Pike, I think). We want to rent a condo, house, or townhouse in a quiet neighborhood that doesn't have a 'city' feel. We've found some listings in Natick that sound good. I'd love to get folks' opinion if this is a good town to focus on -- or would my husband's commute be too long? It doesn't look like he can use the train, right? We were thinking that maybe we could rent a place within walking distance to the train and he could leave a car at a train station close to his school (maybe Newtonville). Is that even possible?
Thanks for any help!
T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM

613 posts, read 2,217,843 times
Natick is pretty suburban so it may be a good choice for you. It's pretty close to Boston, but far enough out. You definitely hit the brunt of the Mass Pike commute though. However, what hours will your husband be working? I know that many teachers need to be at school early (7:30/7:45) and can so he will still hit traffic, but not quite as bad as if he was leaving the house that time. Same on the reverse commute if he's on the road before 4PM.

Actually, if you're just renting, look into Watertown. It's actually ext 17 off the Pike and borders Brighton, Cambridge and Newton. There are some nice residential areas. But, it will likely be more expensive because it's closer to Boston. However, the savings on commuter costs and time may be a decent tradoff.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,225,757 times
Thumbs up Brighton Commute towns

Natick is very nice, but i'd also suggest looking into

Newton, Waltham, Watertown, Needham, Arlington Heights/Arlington, Medford, Cambridge, Wayland, Weston, and Sudbury

Natick is a good choice however

Just giving you some other options

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

406 posts, read 1,442,906 times
Many parts of Brighton and Brookline have a VERY leafy, suburban feel. You'd never know you were "in the city", except for the address. I would seriously consider looking to rent an apartment in that area, where you can set up a home base and explore the surroundings without having to worry about a long commute. Your husband could likely rely on public transportation and read/listen to music during the commute rather than clenching the steering wheel and gritting his teeth.

Also, just a thought--never underestimate how desirable a walkable neighborhood is with a baby. You'll meet waaay more moms in the area (especially in family-friendly Brookline) pushing a stroller to the corner store, coffee shop, library, and playgrounds than you will driving your car around the outer 'burbs.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,245,056 times
I like Needham for this family. It's closer than Natick. It's suburban, yet has a vibrant town center with a train. I live in Brookline and love it, but it's pretty pricey for an educator's salary, and far from quietly suburban in feel in most areas unless you've got several million to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston