Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:24 PM

140 posts, read 322,859 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some feedback about the best cell provider in Beantown. Currently have Verizon b/c it was awesome pretty much everywhere I lived in the US but it seems a bit spotty here.

Any feedback on Sprint (I know their cust svc is horrid but I'm more interested in call reception quality right now), T-Mobile, ATT (worst reception I had in all other states dunno here).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
I've always had Sprint and have had no major problems. A few dead spots and dropped calls, but nothing worse than I notice with my friends and other carriers (although I've noticed it's a bit better with Verizon). It's usually when I drive by a hospital or a university. Think that some of their equipment interferes.

I thought that Verizon was the best for coverage? Isn't that the carrier that works in the tunnels and somewhat on the T? My friends who have Verizon generally have great things to say. If an area is spotty for Verizon, it maybe spotty for everyone,

Sprint's cust. service has gotten much better since they took so much flak over it. I've been a customer for 10 yrs now so maybe that's part of it, but I've had a couple of small issues this year and whenever I call, they have fallen all over themselves to accommodate

Several of my friends now have AT&T because of the IPhone and I've noticed that they drop calls and have more issues. It's not terrible, but seems more than anyone else. Not sure if it's a carrier or phone issue though.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM

140 posts, read 322,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
I've always had Sprint and have had no major problems. A few dead spots and dropped calls, but nothing worse than I notice with my friends and other carriers (although I've noticed it's a bit better with Verizon). It's usually when I drive by a hospital or a university. Think that some of their equipment interferes.

I thought that Verizon was the best for coverage? Isn't that the carrier that works in the tunnels and somewhat on the T? My friends who have Verizon generally have great things to say. If an area is spotty for Verizon, it maybe spotty for everyone,

Sprint's cust. service has gotten much better since they took so much flak over it. I've been a customer for 10 yrs now so maybe that's part of it, but I've had a couple of small issues this year and whenever I call, they have fallen all over themselves to accommodate

Several of my friends now have AT&T because of the IPhone and I've noticed that they drop calls and have more issues. It's not terrible, but seems more than anyone else. Not sure if it's a carrier or phone issue though.
Thx for the feedback, ATT has the worst reception everywhere, I had it once in NJ and u have no idea how irritating was to watch those tv commercials about more bars, blah blah blah.
I'm considering Sprint (although I had the worst cs nightmare a few yrs back, b/ of their phones and push-to-talk. I have no complaints w/Verizon but Sprint's plans may be a better fit for me this time.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
One thing I've noticed about Sprint is that they lag on having the newest and coolest phones. They rarely have the exclusive on the highly anticipated model so it's something to consider if that aspect matters to you. And whatever you do, do not get the Instinct (wannabe IPhone). The Sprint store person told me it was junk and one of my friends got it and returned it after a few weeks for a Blackberry.

ETA - particularly if you use your cell phone as your primary phone (personally, I have no landline), try to find a friend who has Sprint and have them over your place so you can try out their phone/service. Nothing worse than having a carrier that works everywhere except at home.

Last edited by shiver; 07-07-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,159 times
I LOVED Verizon. I have AT & T now because that's all you can have with an iPhone (unless you pay premium for an "unlocked" one, of course) and I hate it. Coverage is crap compared with Verizon.

Sorry you're not having much luck with the big V!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
I've had T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem in the city.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
My mom had Sprint for years a few years ago. This meant whenever we talked on the phone, it would have to be on a landline. I kept asking her why she stayed with Sprint and she kept saying she would switch. She finally did about a year ago... to AT&T, and she got rid of her landline.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 PM

108 posts, read 570,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I've had T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem in the city.
same here

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
depending on the deal VZ first, then T which now is AT&T most like VZ best, just do work out the deal! If you do go on line at times you get better deals
than the store, or calling customer service. You do have a grace period also to cancel.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I've never had a problem with Verizon. With verizon I have service were others have spotty service with the other networks. I haven't been in an area in New England yet where someone has had another service and had better service than verizon. Plus if you travel or go outside of the Boston area Verizon will be vastly better than any other service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: