Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

49 posts, read 85,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've done a few searches on here about this issue, but it seems like the best answers are so personal. I figured I would explain my own situation and look to you good folks for advice.

I am taking a job in Worcester while my SO looks for a position in Boston. So we would like to live in a place that is a convenient commute to both. I'm a person who likes city living. Where I live now I can walk to the grocery store and some of the most happening bars and restaurants in town. I'm also very involved in the community so would like a neighborhood where I could volunteer and become a part of a community. Diversity is a plus in the sense that I don't want to be stopped for "driving while black." Basically, if I could recreate where I live now in Boston area, it would be perfect.

Of course, finances always come into play in these decisions. I would like to spend around 1200-1700$ on rent not including utilities. Good (frequent) public transit is also a plus.

That said, can anyone recommend places to live that would be an easy commute for me and my SO? I hear the drive from Worcester can be hard (and that its not the best place to live). Can anyone tell me more about the places in between Worcester and Boston? Is there anywhere that is on a T line that would also allow an easy commute to worcester that would fit my desires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Is your job in Worcester within walking distance of the train station?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM

49 posts, read 85,003 times
Yes it is, I should have also mentioned that a reasonable commute to me is ideally 30 minutes or less. (maybe 45 when things go wrong)

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
The places between Boston and Worcester are a lot more suburban than what you describe. There are towns where you *might* be able to walk to a grocery store or a bar or restaurant or two (Framingham, Natick) but they are definitely not what comes to mind when someone says like "city living".

Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 AM

157 posts, read 493,739 times
I have a friend lives at Worcester (Clark Univ.), from what I've heard from him.. he does not consider he live in Boston urban area at all, he always spend 1hr of commute to visit Boston. So yea same as what cantabridgienne implied.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
The Metrowest area is pretty suburban. I can't think of anywhere where you can really recreate city living.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM

20 posts, read 43,585 times
Probably Framingham/Natick is your best bet. That is halfway to Boston and Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston