Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 55,128 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to the Boston area very soon and my husband will be working in Lexington. I know there are many lovely towns closer to Lexington, but lately, we've been really leaning toward making a "real change." We live in DC now (actually in MD, just over the line).

A main reason we're moving to Boston is that we want to to be closer to the water, Maine, skiing, etc. Right now, we usually vacation on the Cape (Wellfleet, Truro) and really love the water and rustic, natural settings.

Many people have recommended Ipswich to us, and we're making another exploration trip up to Boston next week. We were up once already, but were mainly focused on Newton (as we do enjoy being close to the city now) and other towns closer to Lexington. But, we have four young kids (including triplets), and even though I do really like go into the city (and get in more often than one might think), at the end of the day, I think I'd be happiest by the water, with a little more land for the kids to play on. And, we can always still take the train into Boston when we want.

This is all of our "information" (maybe too much -- sorry) -- but the purpose of this post is mainly to get a real handle on the commute from people who know.

Would Ipswich to Lexington be shorter or the same than other towns like Newburyport, Cape Ann area, Swampscott/Marlbehead? (I realize it won't be "short" regardless.

Could my husband beat the AM traffic if he leaves reasonable early? Is the PM rush going to be torture? (I *wish* there was a train in Lexington!)

The other purpose of this post is to gain any further insights into Ipswich and other North Shore towns. We're a pretty liberal-minded family, politically active, etc. We're talking to other people and researching on our own, but always appreciate any info people want to share. In particular, any anecdotal info on schools is always helpful. I've looked at MCAS scores, etc. but that obviously doesn't provide the whole picture.

THANK YOU in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 35,244 times
Default Where did you end up - how is it working?

GsDCtoBoston-
I am fining your post 11 months too late, but am curious where you moved and how things are going? Our family is considering a move to Ipswich (or Hamilton-Wenham), but has also looked at towns like Lex, Arlington, Belmont, and Winchester. Your experiences would be really informative for us!

So sorry no one replied to you earlier. It's probably just the case that no one on the forum really knows that commute well.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 13,300 times
Default Same questions about the North Shore...

I am in a similar situation- moving to Boston only with one teen headed to high school. We are drawn to the coastal town. It would be a big change from our CIncinnati burb. Husband would be commuting to North Andover. I want a community with plenty for a teenager to do and good schools but am not seeking "the best" schools as I have learned they have their own issues. My son is a musicial and a good athlete. Inching towards Ipswich. Too rural? Too far from airport/Boston?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,653,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejafan View Post
I am in a similar situation- moving to Boston only with one teen headed to high school. We are drawn to the coastal town. It would be a big change from our CIncinnati burb. Husband would be commuting to North Andover. I want a community with plenty for a teenager to do and good schools but am not seeking "the best" schools as I have learned they have their own issues. My son is a musicial and a good athlete. Inching towards Ipswich. Too rural? Too far from airport/Boston?
Ipswich would be fine. It is a very suburban town, and if that's what you're looking for, it would be fine. Topsfield and Hamilton/Wenham (as already mentioned) are similar.

If you're looking for more activity and a relatively easy commute to North Andover, you could look at Newburyport. It's a very beautiful historic town, and right on the ocean with a lot of shops/restaurants. So, maybe that would be more to your liking. Farther south, Salem would offer similar kinds of attractions.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM

3,668 posts, read 7,353,757 times
Ipswich, Rowley, Georgetown, Newbury, Newburyport would all be an easy commute to North Andover.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,300 times
Thanks! Newburyport and Ipswich are tops on our list. We like the idea of a smaller high school and they seem to be good schools. Any comments on their reputations? Maybe in comparison to North Andover, our third choice? Masco is an option as well but lacking in the orchestra/strings area.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM

3,668 posts, read 7,353,757 times
My ranking would be...

1-Masconomet
2-Ipswich
3-Georgetown
4-Newburyport
5-North Andover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston