Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 06:12 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,393 times

Advertisements

Went back in 2004 and it was pretty good. Went back yesterday - horrible!

Apparently there are no other seafood toppings to them but grease and butter. Way over buttered! Hot inside, service was not good. He didn't tell us about the specials - which I would have gotten had we known about them. More french fries than scallops.

The scallops were pretty good...just not enough of them.

Seafood chowder greasy and fishy smelling.

We 1st heard about it when Emeril showed it on TV. I guess it's more popular than good now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM

406 posts, read 1,496,723 times
Yeah, I ate there a few years back and found everything to be icky, bland, swimming in butter, and overpriced. Sorry--I would have warned you if I'd known! You're better off at Legal's than No Name, sadly.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Gonna join this Greek chorus - I haven't been to No Name during this century and have no plans to. Everything changed for the worse after they moved out of that warehouse and "went uptown" in a regular building with waterfront views. You used to be able to order shrimp and get a heaping pile of sweet, tiny crustaceans that you couldn't get enough of. And nobody knew where the owners found those light green bottles of Coke (just like the kind of bottled Coke that was the only kind available way back when.) Soft drinks have never tasted so good since glass bottles were done away with, ditto for milk.
For casual seafood suppers The Barking Crab is my hangout now.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I'm so curious as to what this place is! I know the name can't be said on this site though (I'll take a wild guess and assume it's not The Barking Crab )

sigh, I miss good seafood

Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 AM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'm so curious as to what this place is! I know the name can't be said on this site though (I'll take a wild guess and assume it's not The Barking Crab )

sigh, I miss good seafood
eevee, the name of the restaurant is "The No Name".

I still love the fish chowder there.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Went there once and thought that it was wayy overhyped.

Best seafood for me in Boston is Sailloft.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
"The No Name" is indeed the place's name (just to concur w/our mod.)
The seafood restaurant I loooooove whose name can't be spelled out is Deadeye D-ck's, on Block Island. Every last thing I've eaten there, right down to popcorn shrimp, has made me want to jump n' shout. Major bummer that they had to sit this season out for major building renovations.
What I'm itching to do is try out some of the places in Gloucester. Any ideas, anyone?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
eevee, the name of the restaurant is "The No Name".

I still love the fish chowder there.
d'oh! okay, I thought you guys were being secretive and trying to avoid a lawsuit by not naming the place! I know CD has a thing about not posting rants against businesses. not really the best name for a seafood joint, IMO. funny, I've never heard of the place. checked it out on yelp and it hasn't gotten great reviews. guys I'll avoid it on my next trip to Boston (which, alas, won't be til winter so I'll miss all the great seafood joints on the Cape)

Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
Smile Seafood

Guys if you want good seafood try the suburbs

try The Fish House Grille in Burlington!
FishHouseGrille - Home

they have great daily specials as well. A popular local spot
also right next to the Schoolhouse ice cream ---just down a few shops

you can easily access it from the WINN Street Exit on 128/95 just go to the end of WINN St. to the shopping plaza and turn R...

The Daily Catch is another good seafood restaurant (on the Waterfront near the Moakley Courthouse) and Northern Ave Bridge and also in the North End.

There's also the big clam shacks up in Essex MA and Gloucester-

JT Farnham's
Woodmans
Essex Seafood

The Blue Marlin is pretty good as well

In Ipswich There's the CLAM Box

and in Seabrook NH on 286 there's Brown's Lobster Pound

In Nahant there's TIde's Restaurant

in Salem There's
FINZ
and Capts.

in Marblehead there's The Landing

All are much better than no name

:-)

def. check these places out

:-)

Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,877 times
I went to the No Name about 3 years ago after not going there for well over 20 years and it definitely is NOT the same, sorry folks. Don't even bother. We thought it was a complete and total rip off as the original poster stated about it all. No doubt about it. It used to be located in a little hole in the wall place on the docks, well they moved it upstairs in this other spot and definitely not that great any more. I think they're cute now, if you know what I mean. They cater to bus loads of tourists, which is too bad. There's die hard fans of theres just the same, but I wouldn't step foot back in that place. Not after dining in all the wonderful seafood places all around New England that are out there now more and more!

DreamworksSKG knows his seafood! Those are the exact places we hit too.

Did I see the "Yankee Lobster Company" here any where? Well put that one on your list, it's a hidden gem for seafood, believe me. It's down along the waterfront across from Salvatore's and Legal's Test Kitchen. This wonderful spot even has parking for your car while you're dining there! It's a very small place but they have a little patio area where you can sit having lunch or dinner overlooking Boston Harbor in the warmer months. When it's too cold out they have indoor seating, it's very small as it's also a seafood market too, so inside you're bumping in to the seafood glass case as you walk in, that's how small it is here, but GO there just the same for lunch some day or even dinner, I heard they close at 8PM but they don't rush any one out, you won't be disappointed. It's also got reasonable prices here too, so remember this place. You're definitely NOT going to break the bank or anything here, you know how a lot of those places can be. Well this is a hidden gem, it's awesome, so don't forget to stop here if you're ever along the waterfront and don't want to go to Morton's Steakhouse where it can be close to $150 and up a person for your meal, I kid you NOT! We know people from Texas, from Colorado and out in California that have all been to the Yankee Lobster Company, they get deals on their twin lobster dinners! Hey, they're no fools, they're pretty smart going here instead of Legal's or anywhere else where they cutely jack up alot of the prices, always remember that Legal's started in Cambridge in a little place with red & white plastic table cloths on picnic tables and a chalkboard with their specials, always remember that! So check this out some day folks, like I said, it's a gem, a hidden one in Boston. You in fact better check it out quick, they're putting a 3 story Legal's Seafood Restaurant right smack where the old Jimmy's Harborside restaurant was located, so hopefully this wonderful Yankee Lobster Company will stay in business above and beyond the chains flying up everywhere!

Yankee Lobster Company and Fish Market

You know, further up the coast if you're out and about and wondering where else to go for great seafood, up near the Kittery Outlets? There's Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME., if you happen to be out shopping for the kids back to school clothes! MUCH better than what's across the road up there, I wouldn't even bother going to that other place up there, directly across from Bob's. There's also Robert's Maine Grill, that's a great place too, do you know they're the same owners as that wonderful Bob's Clam Hut? Well they are, so get with the program with your seafood joints! This Robert's got a beautiful deck outside, but you can't sit out there when the bugs are around later on in the day. A lot of people prefer to sit inside because of it, so remember that:

Intro
Robert's Maine Grill

Then there's Chauncey Creek in Kittery Point, Maine which is quite good. It's the exit before the Outlets, here's good directions:

Take Exit 2 in Maine to the Kittery Traffic Circle. Exit circle after Dairy Queen onto 236 South. 236 South becomes 103 East. Follow for approximately 4.5 miles. After passing Citgo station on right, bear right at next fork onto Chauncey Creek Road. (See road sign).

Here you sit out at a picnic table, you bring your own cooler IF you know what I mean, a lot of people would rather do that when they go for their lobsters and steamers or fried food. It's reminds us alot of Brown's in Seabrook along Rte 286 the way it's set up:

Brown's Seabrook Lobster Pound
Chauncey Creek

You know another "good one" to hit? Bob Lobster on the way to and from Plum Island. Another excellent seafood spot to hit!

Bob Lobster Home

Don't forget any of the Kelly's Roast Beef's too! There scallops and other seafood on their menu is quite good and always was thru the years....

Jimmy's Steer House in Saugus doesn't just have steak on their menu that's great, they also have wonderful seafood too. Sometimes a few of us around here will head there just to strictly get their seafood on their sweet menu of theres! That's how great it is, so see that? It doesn't matter where you get your seafood when you're in New England, it's all over the place. There crabmeat pie @ Jimmy's Steer House is out of this world good. Yes, there's a lot of old timers that go here, yes it gets packed on weekends and a lot of times at night, so you time it right that's all. Sit in the bar instead of the main dining room or something, hey that's a sign that it's a good place, so always remember that! They have the best best stuffed shrimp, lobster pie, salmon, scallops florintine and baked stuffed scrod here, you'd enjoy it. These people are the same owners as the Jimmys in Arlington, as that Grassfields up in Andover in that plaza along No. Main Street and Nick & Tony's in Danvers along Rte 114. All quite good with phenomenal fresh & white marvelous seafood choices on their menu, so if you wanted to sit down and get served by a great waitstaff, then go to one of these places, if you just wanted to sit at a picnic table then go to any of these others mentioned, that's the difference....

Just my two cents again so have a great day, enjoy the weather out there!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 08-08-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston