Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,840 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the suburbs to Brighton (probably a little northwest of Ringer Park). A few questions relating to my car:

1. I work in South Natick. I've heard the reverse commute isn't so bad, but I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to take the Pike or smaller roads (Rt 9/Rt 16). Has anyone driven westbound on 9 or 16 during rush hour? Is it feasible to go door to door in less than 45 minutes?

2. The apartment that I think we'll end up renting has no driveway. Is Brighton's street parking as safe as realtors say? I don't want to pay $150/mo for a parking spot a half-mile away, but I can't afford to have my car stolen.

3. How's the snow removal response time in Brighton?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 30,762 times
Hi,

I commute from Watertown to Framingham, and I rarely have a problem. The only problems I run into is Friday afternoons coming back to the city and the tolls, but it's not that bad. It's an easy commute!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
The Pike is easy to pick up in Brighton, but you can probably avoid the tolls and get there just as fast taking Comm Av to Chestnut Hill Av to Route 9. It shouldn't be too much of a problem going the other way.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 PM

254 posts, read 586,742 times
I live in Brighton and I can attest that it is a safe neighborhood though I must say that street parking aint easy unless you fancy spending 20 minutes to find a spot and parking 1/4 mile from home. Of course that depends which part of Brighton. You may find spots if u return by 5 pm and don't go out again. I commute to Waltham and pay $125/mo for parking. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
Brighton parking is pretty safe, but as with any urban area, don't make your car a target: don't leave anything of value out in the open (even spare change), remove any signs of an ipod, gps (including those telltale suction marks on the windshield), fancy stereo and don't leave any bags sitting on the seat.

Depending on the exact neighborhood, finding parking will be your biggest problem. Brighton is weird like that. Some areas are really easy for parking, while others will result in you driving around for 20 min each night. Also, if you have an expensive car or one that you treat really well, you may want to spring for off-street parking. Not so much for safety, but because of the dings and dents that are a given with street parking. If you want to do off-street, take a look at Craigslist and see if anyone is renting out a spot for cheaper or closer.

They do a decent job of plowing during the winter, but the plows obviously concentrate on the main roads. You should be able to get out of your street, but those are the days you'll want to take the Pike to work since the highways are usually in the best shape. Get a shovel because your car will probably get plowed into its parking spot and you'll need to dig it out. This past winter was pretty bad, but usually it's only a few days each winter that are really annoying.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
I live in Brighton and I can attest that it is a safe neighborhood though I must say that street parking aint easy unless you fancy spending 20 minutes to find a spot and parking 1/4 mile from home. Of course that depends which part of Brighton.
Yeah, it totally depends on where in Brighton. My friend lives near Kiki's market (Faneuil and Arlington) and parks right in front of the house almost all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston