Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

I see I'm yet another person asking for advice in a move to Boston. I am starting a new job there and will be moving ASAP so obviously housing is a HUGE concern. Here is my situation.:
* We are a family of four with two small children, so schools are important.
* My job is in the middle of Downtown, but I have no intention of driving into the city every day. Public transportation is important, but I would prefer to not have to commute for more than 45 min or so.
* I would like to rent a house that has a yard for kids with 3-4 bedrooms… n the big key is to not pay more than $1600 a month

I’m not even sure if these are realistic expectations so any and all advise would be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Your housing, commute and school sys requirements might be tough on $1600 per month. Malden was the first city that came to mind. It would be an easy commute downtown, and would prob fit your budget, but the school sys may not be the best (bear in mind I don't have children). Other suggestions would be Wakefield, Reading, or Woburn. All are on commuter rail lines that run into North Station and the school are prob better than Malden's.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
$1600 will get you a decent 1 bedroom anywhere. 3 - 4 bedrooms, well, you won't be downtown. Attleboro or Pawtucket Rhode Island are among your few possibilities. Both are on the Commuter rail.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:07 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
I've seen 3 bedroom apartments at that price in the Medford/Malden area. I rented a room in a 4bed/2 bath apartment in Medford that was $1600 total. however, this was an older apartment and had no yard. it also wasn't on a train line, so I had to rely on buses. finding a SFH w/ a private yard at that price will be tough unless you look far outside Boston. is you're willing to share a yard, you may be able to find a decent 3 bedroom place at that budget in some nearby areas like Malden, Medford, Quincy, etc. not to mention the aforementioned areas that are on the commuter rail

one minor sticky point are the kids. how old are they? some landlords may be hesitant to rent to families w/ young kids do to the lead laws here and the fact that a lot of the old housing stock has lead. technically, they're aren't supposed to discriminate against families for hat reason, but some will find ways around that law

Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've seen 3 bedroom apartments at that price in the Medford/Malden area. I rented a room in a 4bed/2 bath apartment in Medford that was $1600 total. however, this was an older apartment and had no yard. it also wasn't on a train line, so I had to rely on buses. finding a SFH w/ a private yard at that price will be tough unless you look far outside Boston. is you're willing to share a yard, you may be able to find a decent 3 bedroom place at that budget in some nearby areas like Malden, Medford, Quincy, etc. not to mention the aforementioned areas that are on the commuter rail

one minor sticky point are the kids. how old are they? some landlords may be hesitant to rent to families w/ young kids do to the lead laws here and the fact that a lot of the old housing stock has lead. technically, they're aren't supposed to discriminate against families for hat reason, but some will find ways around that law
eevee
I don't know if you have a range for a comute so I will recomend something, you be the judge. About 20 miles from Boston where I live are beautiful appartment rentals. These were bulit as luxuary condo's but are rented instead. I can't say enough good things about the place. There are 1 and 2 bedroom, very spacious appartments. Kleen, quit and pleanty of views from a balcony. In some location children can play outside your door and there is a private park. Pets are allowed. You get 2 months free rent with a 1 year Lease. There a pool, a gym and a private movie theater. If you don't have a big screen TV, there is a lounge with a coffee bar and free WiFi. If you need anything you just pick up the phone and 24 hour service is there for you. What I like best is I am only 10 min from the NH line. With the MA sales Tax going to 6.25% it's a big savings all year. You would be near all the discout chains and shopping you can handle
The rent for a 2 bedroom is around $1400. My biggest heating bill, Gas, is about $60 dollars in the winter. With central air Electric is about $35 a month.
Good Luck

Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
look into Wakefield

Its a good community with good schools, a lot to do in the area, you can drive virtually any section of the metro within about 20-30 min
there's a nice new England style downtown and a big lake people walk around - a good way to get to know people when you first move in is to just walk the lake or Breakheart reservation and say hi - Wakefield has some affordable homes-apartments , condos, in the area, and is convenient via commuter rail with a few stops in town

Melrose could be another option. Melrose also has good schools, quiet neighborhoods, good transportation (Commuter rail/bus etc.)
parks nearby etc.

Winchester could be a good option for you . I live in Winchester and highly enjoy it. 2 train stops right in town. Schools are the best in the state, and lots to do in the community. Not sure how affordable it would be for you though

Arlington could be another option for you - Arlington heights is particularly nice and has BUs access to the Red line.-
and route 2 to Alewife, though I'd recommend just taking the bus to the Red line because Alewife route 2 can get backed up in the AM rush

Then again you could live out on Cape Ann like Ipswich and have access to the beaches--and such
Ipswich is a town worth looking into. Has commuter rail right in town and beach access you could get a resident pass for Crane Beach one of the best beaches in new England and you'd be close to Cape Ann/Gloucester/Rockport. :-)

Amesbury could be a good choice for you as well -
right next to Newburyport and the Hampton/Salisbury Beach area. there's a commuter rail in Newburyport you could take into work every morning

Also North of Town I'd suggest
Andover, Salem, Beverly, Hamilton/Wenham/Essex. area. Mancheste-r-by-the sea- Gloucester or Rockport. Reading is also a nice community with train access.

West of town i'd suggest looking into Natick (Natick has good schools) and easy access into town via Commuter rail
Concord is a nice town with a rich history and commuter rail right in town :-)
Lincoln, Littleton, or Ayer could be good choices as well.

I'd also suggest
Southborough, Newton, Wellesley,

Belmont might be another option - good schools, location and easy commuter rail access.

South of town I might suggest Mansfield, Weymouth, Scituate, Easton, Dedham, Sharon, Stoughton, Norwood, Bridgewater,

My top choices in order of best to least

would be

NORTH OF TOWN

1.) Wakefield
2.) Melrose
3.) Andover
4.) Arlington
5.) Belmont
6.) Ipswich
7.) Amesbury
8.) Reading
9.) Hamilton
10.) Wenham
11.) Rockport
12.) Gloucester
13.) Salem
14.) Dunstable
15.) Westford
16.) North Andover
17.) Essex

if you can afford it or find a place you can afford i'd definitely add WInchester to the top of the list. only if you can afford it though

I forgot to include Winthrop in here. Good ocean town--good access to the Blue line into town via a town bus system

I forgot to add Topsfield in there. Might be a good town to look into

SOUTH OF TOWN

1.) Weymouth
2.) Scituate
3.) Kingston
4.) Plymouth
5.) Sharon
6.) Mansfield
7.) Dedham
8.) Stoughton
9.) Norfolk
10.) Norwood
11.) Bridgewater
12.) Middleborough
13.) Lakeville
14.) Walpole

WEST OF TOWN

1.) Concord
2.) Southborough
3.) Natick
4.) Wellesley
5.) Littleton
6.) Ayer
7.) Newton
8.) Waltham
9.) Lincoln
10.) Acton/South Acton
11.) Ashland
12.) Grafton

There obviously can't be an east of town due to the ocean :-)

Hope this helps narrow your search

Last edited by DreamworksSKG; 08-02-2009 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,308 times
Wow... didn't realize finding housing with kids could be hard up there. Then again we don't have issues with lead paint down in Florida. My children are 8 and 6, and a safe living condition is EXTREMELY important. My youngest has severe allergies so I guess some of these older homes would be out of the question. With this new limitation I guess what is the best place to live that has newer homes? What should I expect to pay? How long should I plan on commuting? Seems like at this point I need to set realistic expectations.

Thanks for all the help

Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 AM

16 posts, read 51,155 times
If you work Downtown the rail lines from the south or the west of Boston end pretty close to the business district "South Station". The commuter rail north of Boston ends where else but "north station" that's kind of out of the way a good walk or another 'T" ride to downtown. Try Ashland or Hopkinton area both on the commuter rail and a great bang for your buck on housing. Both have good school systems and are great places to raise a family. Subscribe to the L.L.Bean Winter Cataloge, it may come in handy!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Cool wakefield

I suggest Wakefield. I think if you visit the town and look around the area you'll like it a lot

good schools too . Hopkinton would be another good choice.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 25,121 times
Many of the towns these folks have suggested are WAY more than a 45 minute commute to downtown Boston! Ipswich? Topsfield..Southborough..Providence? Are you nuts? Also, places like Wellesley are way off the budget. Also, he has asked to rent a house, not an apartment!

I would suggest SOUTH of Boston for affordability. Attleboro was suggested but is more than a 45 commute and has a lousy school system.

Check out Walpole, Stoughton, Mansfield and possibly Sharon. Franklin would be a nice fit, but the commute door-to-door is longer than 45 minutes (most commutes are), but the train ride is probably that long.

Natick might work..depending on the cost. Belmont (as suggested) is out of the question price-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston