Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 PM

639 posts, read 3,519,241 times

Advertisements

It's definitely not what it used to be. As the previous posters mentioned here, just be very cautious around the D Street projects that's all. It's common sense too that prevails, you don't want to walk alone and at night thru or near here.

Definitely convenient for getting in to downtown Boston, you're going to love that part of staying here! The MBTA bus is always going thru West Broadway as well as East Broadway to Broadway station which is where you can either walk to the theater district in no time OR you can take the train right at Broadway for either South Station for the Silver line OR you could stay on it for Harvard Square all the way in to Cambridge. You can switch if you want to on the red line to get to the orange line for Downtown Crossing in no time OR even the blue line for Logan or the Aquarium stop near Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Whatever you prefer:

MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System

You can walk up West Broadway and explore all the many shops and neat restaurants all along there, head further up to East Broadway to check out even more wonderfully funky new shops and more restaurants thru there. You can either walk or take the bus up, whatever you want to do. You will have the Stop & Shop right along East Broadway that will be ideal. Take a walk down to Castle Island and walk all around it for viewing Boston Harbor it's positively one of the most beautiful spots to see it!

You are going to enjoy being there! I lived there for a good 15 years and miss it tremendously. It's safe, you just have to be careful as in any City you're in. There's just more drugs now than ever before and activity is definitely going on down thru there more than ever before from what we're hearing of it. Yet don't worry about your safety, just be cautious and use common sense. Don't walk alone thru there and especially at night be leary. I used to get in my car every second I got, and I know you're just visiting here for a week, you might not have a car, you'll have the MBTA bus stops on alot of the major streets in the neighborhood, especially along West and East Broadway that will be ideal.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy yourself that's the most important thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,736 times
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I dont mind it not being pretty, I will def stay away from the projects, I know where they are on the map, and will avoid them.

Thanks for tip on Castle Island, will take a walk there. We will probably use the train to get into the more tourist areas.

I subscribed to Setanta sports here in the UK so I could watch the ball games leading up to when I come over, then just after they took my 1st payment they went bust, so have only seen 1 game!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston