U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM

368 posts, read 1,333,388 times

Advertisements

I have a friend flying in to Boston. She's reporting to duty in Newport, and I'd like to give her a great night on the town to send her off.

I'll pick her up at Logan on a Friday evening (around 9ish), and we'll get a hotel. She and I like to pub crawl, so bars in walking distance will be necessary. We'll be splitting the hotel, but I can't afford anything over the top, price wise. Age wise, we're gonna want bars that cater to a young professional crowd - but are hoppin' (read: packed).

Saturday she wants to do the Sam Adams brewery tour, but what about a totally Boston place for breakfast and lunch/early dinner?

Give me your best ideas! I'm supposed to be the expert, and I've been to Boston like... once.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 AM

613 posts, read 2,216,730 times
I would just hit the Feneuil Hall area. It can get a little touristy and cheesy (and somewhat young), but definitely packed. It's a good place for out of towners. You also have a big variety - traditional pub: Black Rose, Green Dragon, etc.; dancing to a cover band - Ned Devines; dancing in general; upstairs at the Bell in Hand, Sissy Ks, etc. on the water - Tia's, the Sail Loft; trendy lounge - Red Sky and the Living Room. And there are about 20 other bars to choose from. The bars get very crowded and some have long lines by 10 and a few have cover charges ($5-$10).

Other than that, consider the North Station/Garden bar scene and Boylston (Vox, Lir, Saint, etc).

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM

2,643 posts, read 5,763,322 times
I'll have to second the Faneuil Hall area. The State Street side gets real busy, especially on the weekends. Really, the entire area from Canal St down through Union St and Faneuil Hall to State and Broad St is one big party on the weekends. Just walk from one bar to the next.

Also this weekend is the Fisherman's Feast in the North End (which is in the same area). Welcome to the Fisherman's Feast

Not sure about breakfast, but I'd recommend The Barking Crab for lunch/dinner.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,422,394 times
i recommend the harpoon brewery tour over sam adams. its also a better location.

as far as bar hopping... you want to go to Fanuel Hall. lots of irish pubs and bars ect. Summer weekend nights, it will be crowded and fun.

bell in hand, ned divines, hong kong, sissy k's, purple shamrock, black rose...

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...c=Boston%2C+MA

go there for reviews

harborside inn or bulfinch hotel marriot longwharf for reasonable prices

Last edited by nate14ri; 08-13-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,458,269 times
A totally Boston place for early dinner would be Doyles, on Washington Street in the Jamaica Plain section. Not a tourist in sight. If you did the Sam Adams tour you'd be close by. A totally Boston place for breakfast would be Charlies Sandwich Shop on Columbus Avenue in the South End.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Why Harpoon over Sam Adams?

Last edited by AandD; 08-13-2009 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: jsut saw the hotel rec's in the post above! Whoops!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 5,763,322 times
Try the Park Plaza. Someone here recently got a room for $60.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM

613 posts, read 2,216,730 times
I think it's supposed to be nice out this weekend so I would have lunch/dinner at one of the many restaurants on Newbury St. that has an outdoor patio. It's terrific for people watching.

Depending on what time you're doing the Sam Adams tour, you could go to the Centre St. Cafe on Centre St. in Jamaica Plain for breakfast/brunch or go to Bella Luna restaurant for lunch/dinenr which is right around the corner from the Brewery. Also, I think you need to book the tour in advance. One of my friends was trying to do it recently and called a day ahead to find out it was sold out.

I've never done either brewery tour so I can't comment on the quality, but the Sam Adams Brewery is in an awkward location. It's in a random spot in JP out of the way from any other touristy areas.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,422,394 times
I dont have a problem with either brewery. Was just thinking the Harpoon brewery is much easier going to the Wharf from Downtown than going to JP.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
I dont have a problem with either brewery. Was just thinking the Harpoon brewery is much easier going to the Wharf from Downtown than going to JP.
Thanks. you actually aren't the 1st person to recommend Harpoon over SA, but no one had told me why, so I asked.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston