Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM

42 posts, read 93,566 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is considering mvoing here with me in the near future. What are some interracial friendly towns and areas in Boston. More importantly, where should we avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

196 posts, read 992,849 times
what exactly are your concerns?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Let's see..in some towns in western Mass, we got pulled over frequently for nothing, in some places we got the look. Basically, since we both lived in western Ma we knew where to go and where not to go. The bosotn area is new to us. I live in Weymouth, and here, people are friendly, however, we did get the look at the movies at South Shore Plaza, downtown was fine.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
In Boston you see it all the time, quite a few of my friends are in interracial relationships. I never hear them complain or even mention any bad treatment in general.

Keep in mind how diverse Boston is:

48% of the population is visible minority
Over 25% is foreign born
12.3% is LGBT

With that type of diversity I really do not think anyone is going to care if you are "mixing" with another race, its inevitable with the mixture of people in the city. I am multiracial myself and have never felt out of place.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,455 times
Quote:
in some towns in western Mass, we got pulled over frequently for nothing
That happens to everyone in western mass...

Having problems in western Mass is surprising to me, and I definitely can't think of any towns in the Boston area that are not interracial-friendly.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
In Boston you see it all the time, quite a few of my friends are in interracial relationships. I never hear them complain or even mention any bad treatment in general.

Keep in mind how diverse Boston is:

48% of the population is visible minority
Over 25% is foreign born
12.3% is LGBT

With that type of diversity I really do not think anyone is going to care if you are "mixing" with another race, its inevitable with the mixture of people in the city. I am multiracial myself and have never felt out of place.
That is really great to hear

Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
That happens to everyone in western mass...

Having problems in western Mass is surprising to me, and I definitely can't think of any towns in the Boston area that are not interracial-friendly.
In Springfield, we were fine. But I was surprised to get stopped in Amherst and Noho, which are suppose to be liberal.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 54,318 times
Why do you think that you are getting pulled over by the police because you're black? Is that your excuse for everything?

What a ridiculous statement: "We were pulled over by the cops in Amherst, so Amherst isn't as liberal as we thought."

Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1982 View Post
Why do you think that you are getting pulled over by the police because you're black? Is that your excuse for everything?

What a ridiculous statement: "We were pulled over by the cops in Amherst, so Amherst isn't as liberal as we thought."
Yeah, that's a ridiculous statement. I dont buy that pulled over stuff but I dont rule out that being profiling strategy though. Word of caution to my folks please don't argue with cops when pulled over. Just co-operate and provide all necessary document when asked. Also throw in your Student ID, Alumni ID, Military ID, and maybe your Country club ID or Rotary club or Lions club ID and I bet you would hit the road in no time!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
I lived in the springfield area for 5 years and Boston for 15. In my entire 15 years in BOS I never once heard anyone make a single negative comment about interracial relations or act untoward to such. In SPFLD I heard and experienced every imaginable vulgarity. It's amazing how two places can be only 100 miles apart geographically yet a world away culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston