Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,930 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was looking to move to Boston with my boyfriend in a month or so but I'm worried about finding a job (he already has one but not me). I've heard that while jobs in the biotech/science area are plenty in Boston it's very competitive due to the graduates from universities around there and that employers prefer those so it ends up being very difficult for "outsiders". Is this true?

I just graduated from a uni in Louisiana, a Masters in cell bio and have been sending out my resume for a month now to no avail. I don't want to make the move w/out lining up some prospects first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
There probably is not a conscious attempt by employers to exclude graduates that are not local. Keep in mind that some of the universities around here are among the best in the world. So, naturally, employers will snap up those graduates first before others. On the other hand, there are a lot of biotech jobs around here. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 24,283 times
You shouldn't have an issue as long as your school, grades, and research are up to par with the competition. I work in biotech and we have employees from all over the world, but we are very competitive and that will include being up against those from MIT and Harvard.

Best of luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
I wonder if having a Boston area address and phone number on your resume will make a difference in getting called back for interviews. I'm sure Boston biotech cos. are targeted by recent grads all over the country and it makes things simpler to deal with candidates who are already here.

I'm no expert in the biotech industry, but I remember when I was working in NYC and looking to hire people I would never consider responding to the resume of someone who wasn't already living in the NYC area, esp. for entry-level jobs.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 AM

23 posts, read 54,497 times
If you're not receiving replies from the companies by applying directly, I'd recommend using a biotech/research staffing firm in the area. Two I know of are AeroTek and HireMinds. The staffing firms usually have relationships with a lot of the local biotech/research firms. After looking over your resume and looking at your skill set they'll only consider job opportunities that pertain to your line of work. I've used one of the aforementioned companies and was placed within a couple weeks.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 AM

I must mention, HireMinds usually deals with a lot of the start-up and smaller companies, while AeroTek usually deals with mid to large companies.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM

304 posts, read 773,976 times
You should also look at Ranstad - they provide temporary services into a lot of the biotech companies and you could go temp to perm.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Yes, I forgot Randstad also, they were the staffing firm that payed for my 3 summers of internships at a great company.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 PM

136 posts, read 462,519 times
Biotech folks have faced layoffs just like everyone else, so there's going to be both experienced hires and kids out of college in competition. However, as bad as it may be, it probably helps a tiny bit that it's not May with a flood of college grads.

I agree 110% about using a firm - they have good relationships with employers they have cultivated for years. WinterWyman does a lot of high-end placement and they did a great job polishing me up when I got my last job (non-bio tech).

As for listings of jobs, my new fav is indeed.com as it aggregates listings from all other sites...very convenient!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
As others have mentioned, I think temping, if you're willing to do that, could land you a job quicker than applying to the black hole abyss of HR at whatever company. I used Lab Support (or something similar, can't remember) to get my foot in the door at a larger biotech. Eventually a perm position was available, but it took almost a year of temping/contracting at the co. It's also easier for departments to gather money for contract gigs rather than perm positions, and that's something to consider in this economy. Keep in mind that in MA you have to have health insurance. A number of these agencies offer subpar plans if you don't have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston