Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,723 times

Advertisements

I been to Hamtramck/Highland Park Area that is in Detroit Mich and Im thinking moving to Brockton Mass or the towns around it....and I want to know which Area is better safer and more fun ?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Brockton is most comparable to inner city Detroit. Very tough.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Brockton is a rough town. If you look at city-data's crime statistics you'll see that Brockton's crime rate is over 200 points higher (higher being worse) than the national average (which is a score of 320). That's not good at all for obvious reasons.

Detroit, however, is in a league of its own. I mentioned that Brockton's crime rate was bad. It's over 200 points worse than the national average. Well, Detroit's crime rate is nearly DOUBLE what Brockton's is. Detroit has some nice neighborhoods and a wonderful downtown area (I've enjoyed my visits to Detroit), but it has a serious crime issue rivaled by only a few cities (New Orleans and Camden, NJ being two of the closest).

Brockton by itself is no picnic, but the fact of the matter is that the area around Brockton is quite nice. Even parts of the periphery of Brockton are nice. Towns like Easton, Mansfield, Bridgewater, etc are all lovely, very safe communities. Detroit, being almost exactly 10x the size of Brockton, is not a fair comparison. Detroit covers a much larger area than Brockton and has so many spots that are a lot worse than anything you'll find in Brockton. If you compare Brockton and the towns around it to Detroit, one cannot say that the Brockton area is a worse choice in terms of safety than Detroit. Easton, Mansfield, Bridgewater, Avon, Whitman, Abington, etc are all lovely town and will provide a much safer (much more suburban) atmosphere than Detroit.

Now, in terms of things to do, it's a different story. Detroit is a city of nearly 1 Million people so obviously there are more attractions and activities in Detroit than Brockton. Downtown Detroit has plenty to offer while Brockton has very little even for a city of its size. It has a small minor league baseball team, decent high school sports and a fairground which hosts events. It has little nightlife or other activities. For that stuff you have to take the train (or drive) 20 minutes into Boston. Boston has more to do than Detroit and is a much nicer city. Brockton is a satellite city of Boston so much of what people from Brockton do revolves around Boston.

Given the choice between Brockton or Detroit, I'd choose the Brockton area (probably Stoughton or Bridgewater given that they have walkable town centers and commuter rail). Good luck.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
It really is an apples to oranges comparison. Brockton is probably most similar to Pontiac or maybe Dearborn in Detroit. Hamtramck and Highland Park would be like Roxbury or Dorchester.

The suburbs and general size of the metros actually have some similarities and provides a lesson on what bad choices and poor luck can do. Most people don't know that metro Detroit has nice areas very much like Newton, Brookline, Lexington (Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield Hills) and great private schools (Cranbrook, Detroit Country Day). Many immigrants settled into the area (Irish, Italians, Greeks, etc.), but very few explicit ethnic enclaves remain except for Greektown. It has one of the oldest and most prestigious schools in the Midwest down the street in Ann Arbor - the "Harvard of the Midwest," as JFK himself joked about during his Peace Corps speech. Back in the day, Detroit had a similar position as a bona fide "sibling rival" to Chicago just as Boston does to this today with NY. Unfortunately, Detroit banked everything on the auto industry and never transformed itself into a tech power. It built boulevards everywhere and dismantled its light rail transit. Bad forces conspire to this day to keep it from turning the corner even though at least one piece of salvation is staring them in the face (the area is ranked at or near the top for every factor needed to develop alternative energy industries - skilled labor, plentiful freshwater and wind, transportation network, top research university - but with one huge achilles heel - poor labor relations). Unless you are a pioneer, saint, rockstar of change, or a combination of the three, I would move.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 PM

143 posts, read 229,251 times
Highland Park is more dangerous than many areas in the City of Detroit. Also, HP is not comparable to Hamtramack. Hamtramack has nice family areas, a diversity of food and culture and an active local government. I'm not familiar with Brockton but I based on recent personal experience I certainly believe there are more opportunities for people in Boston than metro-Detroit. I've recently returned to my office in downtown and have noticed a huge reduction in the number of commuters on my way to/from downtown from the northern suburbs. The city owned parking lots in fairly prime areas have $5 parking specials, it's amazing! ..............and sad for me a native Detroiter, who has left home before for greener pastures and believe this next move will not have a return ticket.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
Highland Park is more dangerous than many areas in the City of Detroit. Also, HP is not comparable to Hamtramack. Hamtramack has nice family areas, a diversity of food and culture and an active local government. I'm not familiar with Brockton but I based on recent personal experience I certainly believe there are more opportunities for people in Boston than metro-Detroit. I've recently returned to my office in downtown and have noticed a huge reduction in the number of commuters on my way to/from downtown from the northern suburbs. The city owned parking lots in fairly prime areas have $5 parking specials, it's amazing! ..............and sad for me a native Detroiter, who has left home before for greener pastures and believe this next move will not have a return ticket.
What a sad post. Detroit is a city I've always enjoyed but couldn't imagine getting attached because it would just be too hard to see it go to ruin. There is some excellent diversity, stunning architecture and wonderful history in Detroit. Unfortunately with the exodus of people (is there a city in the US that's losing people faster?) and money and jobs, much of the city's heritage is going away too. Walking around downtown Detroit one gets the feeling of Grandeur that once was. However, there's a feeling of emptiness as it's also clear that the glory days are long gone and don't seem to be coming back.

I hate hearing these stories. I'm sorry about your city.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM

143 posts, read 229,251 times
lrfox, thanks for your kind words.

It was a great City and I believe can be again but I think it is going to take awhile. Unfortunately, my family's situation does not permit us to be on that bandwagon up close, but I'll always be a cheerleader from afar. The brain drain from the State of Michigan is incredible. We have great education, really nice suburbs but many, many professionals are forced to leave for better opportunities elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 45,844 times
I moved to Brockton 2 months ago and I LOVE IT. Everyone gives me an "I feel sorry for you" look when I tell them I live in Brockton but I think it's a hidden jewel... well... let me clarify. Some parts of Brockton are rough and feel dangerous. This would mainly be downtown and the North Montello/Village area. However, there are some wonderful family-oriented neighborhoods. I live in the Clifton Heights/Westside area of Brockton. You can tell a neighborhood is good when the houses in the neighborhood have additions. That means people want to stay there and have lived there a while. We looked for this when searching for a house. We do have a security system just in case but the majority of people from Brockton who are robbing usually go to neighboring towns to rob -- Easton, Bridewater, Abington. I hate the stereotypes that come out of Brockton but I do understand that most people think of "downtown" when they think of Brockton. I think there's crime/drugs everywhere... even in my hometown of Mansfield, MA there's consistent drugs and have been shootings! In conclusion, if you want a great deal on a home, check out Brockton. Drive by the neighborhoods you're interested in during the day and at night. Come back to the board if you have any questions and good luck!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:37 PM

91 posts, read 280,329 times
Brockton is like any other city. There are good parts and bad parts. I lived in Brockton when I was single and the first 2 wks after moving into my home, there were 9 murders, one being at the end of my street.

But I realized that the majority of the crime was domestic in nature. There weren't any crazed killers running the streets. I wasn't stupid about my travels. I didn't go out by myself at 3 in the morning - if you get what I'm saying.

I enjoyed my time in Brockton and I do miss my old house there. I had great neighbors and there were mansions at the end of my street. It is all of what you make it.

I now reside on the Cape and believe it or not, there are bad areas here, too!

Do your homework and decide what is the best area for you.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM

122 posts, read 479,402 times
Is Brockton anything like Lynn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston